Props to Rees Odhiambo

A-Dog

Reaction score
I admit my eyes weren't glued to the O-Line but I don't remember Rees' being called out negatively during the Giants game.

He's obviously been a work in progress but for a guy in his 2nd year who is better suited to guard (due to his lack of length) who was thrown in as a starter at the most difficult and important position on the OL after an injury to the presumed starter, this board has cut him zero slack and has been extremely harsh.

After being thrown in at the deep end, and suffering what must have been a pretty painful injury, he has kept battling and has been showing visible improvement. The Giants D-Line is pretty good and Odhiambo held his own.

To me Rees is showing that he might be the long-term answer at LG as well as a guy who could also fill in at LT when needed. That is a valuable player to have on your roster.

Props to Rees. Screw the haters and keep working hard - the future is bright.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
Also, looking ahead, if the youngsters keep progressing individually and the unit continues to gel as a whole, this looks like a young, cheap, talented offensive line moving forward:

Starters: Fant / Odhiambo / Britt / Pocic / Ifedi

Backups: Battle / Glowinski / Hunt

2_0_6

Reaction score
If he keeps improving over this season at LT and finishes the year on a good note, then I wonder if Pete/John keep him there.

Seymour

Reaction score
Agree. Exactly the last one on offense to get any credit too. :roll: Great job Rees....please keep up the great effort! :2thumbs:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/922501126414626819[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/922497350618308610[/tweet]

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":hlwze24r said:
If he keeps improving over this season at LT and finishes the year on a good note, then I wonder if Pete/John keep him there.

Why wouldn't they keep him here ? He's under club control on his rookie deal for another 2 years.

sutz

Reaction score
One of the quirks about O-line play, of course, is that when they do their job right, they don't get recognition.
:229031_shrug:

Kind of the nature of the beast. If they have a good game, and I think they did vs NYG, usually it is because of them working as a group and it is not necessarily easy to single out one guy as doing well. It's often very easy to see when one guy screws up.

(Oh, and I said they did good, not great. ;))

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I believe the Giants DL was missing a starting DE. Not sure if it was the same one as on Odhiambo's side, though.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1x2a8lhp said:
I believe the Giants DL was missing a starting DE. Not sure if it was the same one as on Odhiambo's side, though.

Olivier Vernon was out so Odihambo was going against a backup while Ifedi had JPP. Probably makes a huge difference, but hey it's great Odhi got some success and confidence.

mikeak

Reaction score
ONE SACK - one sack and that is definitely one RW could have thrown away

That tells the story to me

AgentDib

Reaction score
I labeled the Giants a tune-up week without Vernon and continue to believe the next two games are well suited to see improvement from our OL.

Some will likely be worried about this week because the Texans D still played well in week 6 after losing Watt and Mercilus. There are a bunch of caveats about that game, however. They were playing the Browns, in Houston, in a game where Joe Thomas got hurt, and Hogan was the Browns QB with a 38.1 passer rating on the day. A number of their players were call ups from the practice squad or the street, and I think the bulk of the pressure will be on the Texans to see if they can hold up on the road in Seattle against a far better QB and offensive weapons.

Next week we host the Redskins in Seattle and I see their front seven has over achieving so far. We've already seen a similar look from the Rams this season and Russ handled the 3-4 blitzing better than he has in the past. The Redskins allowed 4.3 YPC rushing from the 49ers last week and we'll see how they hold up against the Eagles tonight.

I'm hoping to see a lot of improvement these next two weeks because I think the six games after that will be tougher on our OL than average.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep, the OLine played well against a team with 1-5 record.

Generally the OLine seems to be improving game after game. If this continues the team may have a better than averageOLine by the playoffs. Odi played a good game and so did Pocic.

Now if the rest of the O can get it rolling earlier in games, and the running game could similarly improve the team would become a prohibitive favourite to play in February again.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Ifedi, I am disappointed in you....

Kidding, I know this is his first year at RT. Hopefully he can improve as the season progresses.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Ifedi seemed to play better after Pete talked to him. Would love to have heard what was said.

chris98251

Reaction score
sc85sis":3lukbila said:
Ifedi seemed to play better after Pete talked to him. Would love to have heard what was said.

Pretty easy, do better or sit on the bench.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'm really surprised at Odhiambo's progress this game. Reason being, he wasn't playing poorly because he had technical deficiencies, he was playing poorly because he looked physically overmatched. That's hard to correct during the season. He fixed it for this game, at least, and hope he can build on it going forward.