Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Britt option picked up, keeps him under contract through '20

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Didn't he have a down year?
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

• rossob wrote:Didn't he have a down year?

Yeah, but he was still probably our best olineman this past season.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• If you've seen the prices OL are fetching these days, it's a good deal.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• EverydayImRusselin wrote:If you've seen the prices OL are fetching these days, it's a good deal.

Unfortunately this.

Britt didn't earn the option, but we're seeing some crazy money being thrown at O-lineman so we really don't have a choice but to keep Britt. Especially with how much turnover and lack of continuity there is right now with our line.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Makes the Pocic pick look even worse. I still believe they only drafted him because they were afraid Britt was leaving.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Pretty early to Assume Pocic won't be a good lineman.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• meh.. 5 mil bonus :141847_bnono: britt, pocic, ifedi, actually the whole line with the exception of brown should pay the hawks money..
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• pittpnthrs wrote:Makes the Pocic pick look even worse. I still believe they only drafted him because they were afraid Britt was leaving.

Huh? Britt signed his extension before we drafted Pocic.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

• Britt signed a 3 yr/27mil extension in August.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Pretty early to Assume Pocic won't be a good lineman.

Just going off the sample size. Pretty awful.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Pocic can play more than one position and was drafted, like most Seattle O-linemen, largely for that reason. Britt's extension doesn't make him any less valuable to the team.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• It's not out of the realm of possibility that Britt gets moved back to guard, with Pocic starting at center, to get the best five players on the field.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• IMHO, this is good news.

:2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Justin Britt benefited from the grand tour with first hand experience at tackle, guard and center. Only missed one game as a four year starter. Only 26 years young with his maturing years ahead. Signed thru 2020. He represents a plus plus plus bright spot.

Also looking forward to seeing how big Ehan Procic will check in at in year two. Curious to find out if he will bennefit from opportunities to play at multiple positions.

Returning line coach Mike Solari has some flexible pieces to work with. So far so good. :2thumbs:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Nice to see them actually resign one of their own offensive lineman.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Can we just at some point get some guys that can "Do your job". Yes it is nice to have some guys with versatility, but can we just get some "Starters" that are a RT or a LG, your versatile guys should be your backups. IMO this is where the hole mess starts, and ends. So now you have your starting 5, say week 8 our RT goes down to injury, but our next man up is "versatile", as is our RG, but the next man up is a better G then T, so they kick our RG to RT, and next man up to RG, now you have a backup @ RG, and a guy playing out of position @ RT. I know as well as many Hawk fans our Oline is crap due to us getting cute in previous drafts, and trading back, when we should have been picking the talent in front of us, and then Cable not being able to draft an Olineman worth his weight (literally)!
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• ^^^
    Getting the best 5 linemen on the field has been pretty much the norm around the NFL for decades. Posted objections are likely a reflection of the limits of an author's understanding. IMHO.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:^^^
    Getting the best 5 linemen on the field has been pretty much the norm around the NFL for decades. Posted objections are likely a reflection of the limits of an author's understanding. IMHO.

The above is likely a reflection of the limits of the author's understanding of the post being responded to.

There is quite clearly a trade-off between versatility and aptitude/profile/match for a single position. Guards and Tackles have very different profiles. Get Hawknation2018 up in here to talk about the differences in athleticism, length, footwork, on and on.

Versatility is a much clearer virtue for backups, because they allow a single player to backfill multiple spots and because you are already accepting the less-than-optimal profile if you must use a backup. So the trade-off is easier to justify.

NFL teams do try to get the best 5 linemen out there, but that doesn't mean they don't balance that with not putting some squat, slow, guard-profiled player on the edge just because he's "the best lineman". It's only if he's "the best tackle" that you put him out there.

In other words, 12forlife was pretty much dead on in every point.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:
    Jville wrote:^^^

The above is likely a reflection of the limits of the author's understanding of the post being responded to.

There is quite clearly a trade-off between versatility and aptitude/profile/match for a single position. Guards and Tackles have very different profiles. Get Hawknation2018 up in here to talk about the differences in athleticism, length, footwork, on and on.

Versatility is a much clearer virtue for backups, because they allow a single player to backfill multiple spots and because you are already accepting the less-than-optimal profile if you must use a backup. So the trade-off is easier to justify.

NFL teams do try to get the best 5 linemen out there, but that doesn't mean they don't balance that with not putting some squat, slow, guard-profiled player on the edge just because he's "the best lineman". It's only if he's "the best tackle" that you put him out there.

In other words, 12forlife was pretty much dead on in every point.

LOL .... fans have little voice in the matter. Prepared thyself to witness more examples of NFL coaches picking the 5 best offensive linemen to put on the field ...... again this year ....... as has been for case for decades.

Later on he added, “Right now, Bobby is the fifth-best offensive lineman. He’s ascending and he’s getting better. He’s doing some nice things. The hard thing for someone like a Bobby Hart, a young offensive lineman is consistency. That’ll come. He’s working at it and doing a nice job in the classroom.” He also confirmed that Hart is the fifth lineman counting Marshall Newhouse. https://www.bigblueview.com/2016/11/4/13527846/ny-giants-philadelphia-eagles-mike-solari-bobby-hart

There were calls for Beatty to move into the starting lineup after Flowers and Hart struggled in a Week 5 loss to the Packers, but the Giants didn't make any changes.

"The thing about Green Bay, we didn't play well. It's something we have to improve on in that situation," offensive line coach Mike Solari said. "But right now, Bobby is the fifth-best offensive lineman. He's ascending, he's getting better, he's doing some nice things. The hard thing for somebody like a Bobby Hart, a young offensive lineman, is consistency. And that will come." http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/11/why_isnt_giants_will_beatty_playing_ol_coach_mike.html

Anybody remember the old adage ..... "the more things change the more things stay the same"?
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Bet you have your fingers crossed that we sign Pryor so he can come in at WR since he is versatile, then we have our backup incase Russell gets hurt behind a versatile Oline. :2thumbs:
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• 12forlife wrote:

Bet you have your fingers crossed that we sign Pryor so he can come in at WR since he is versatile, then we have our backup incase Russell gets hurt behind a versatile Oline. :2thumbs:

Focus: Neither Pryor as a receiver nor Wilson as a quarterback nor I as a poster are the subject of this thread.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Focus: Neither Pryor as a receiver nor Wilson as a quarterback nor I as a poster are the subject of this thread.[/quote]

No, but my earlier post was, and you discredited that with some BS. Without obviously understanding my point, of way to many of our Oline starters & backups are considered "versatile". All I'm simply saying and others appear to agree, that your starters should be masters of their craft at a set position on the line, and not playing shuffle the deck every time one goes down. Just my simple minded opinion there is a huge difference in an elite "guard" & "Tackle".
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• Jville wrote:[
    Anybody remember the old adage ..... "the more things change the more things stay the same"?

I understand wanting to have a debate about the relative merits of versatile linemen vs more spot-specific linemen. No one is suggesting versatility isn't a virtue. The suggestion is that perhaps we might have placed just a bit more emphasis on it than was best, and given Cable's failure and subsequent firing, questioning his approaches and areas of emphasis is hardly unreasonable.

What I don't get is to completely dismiss such questions and then mumble something about getting the best 5 linemen on the field as if that approach isn't also combined with specific players and profiles being targeted for specific positions.

And then acting as if any heathen who disagrees is just too poorly educated in the mysterious arts of NFL offensive line strategies to possibly have anything to contribute.

I mean it's almost designed not to be convincing.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• ^^^

My post was in response to what I felt was an arrogant and dismissive post. A NFL tendency was cited in response. A follow up post then cited a recent example from the newest offensive line coach via links to Solari quotes. To think that any of us outside of the VMAC are not without limitations to our understanding of lineman criteria and goals is at best naive and at worse arrogant. There is nothing wrong with exercising a little respect for those team professionals that work so hard to achieve success.

Looking forward to a great year of competition by our 2018 linemen and coaches and trainers and support staff.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Looking forward to a great year of competition by our 2018 linemen and coaches and trainers and support staff.

Snipped...

Wonder what your opinion is on whether they will keep the same mold as they have before and keep a few stars that appear in training camp as core personnel and run with draft picks for the rest? Do you believe that they will maintain that system or will the system breaking down as it has this season mean that they go with Draft contracts and then 2 to 3 year second contracts that lead to a cut? Do you think they will change their cap filosophy????

Filosophy spelled incorrectly to mess with gramma nazis. he hehe :irishdrinkers:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:

Snipped...

Wonder what your opinion is on whether they will keep the same mold as they have before and keep a few stars that appear in training camp as core personnel and run with draft picks for the rest? Do you believe that they will maintain that system or will the system breaking down as it has this season mean that they go with Draft contracts and then 2 to 3 year second contracts that lead to a cut? Do you think they will change their cap filosophy????

Filosophy spelled incorrectly to mess with gramma nazis. he hehe :irishdrinkers:

I expect to see differences between the lines of Solari and Cable. Every year is a fresh restart with a dozen plus candidates. Different draft class. Changes to the roster of returning veterans. JS and others put a lot of time and effort into preparing for free agency and draft. Each year is unique. I think they annually review everything and modify their approach to talent acquisition and retention in recognition of the supply and demand of the cap era. It's an annual process they cycle thru. I think continuity and retention of offensive linemen got away from them during the last couple of years. They are in the process of fixing that now.
    Last edited by Jville on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

Snipped...

I expect to see differences between the lines of Solari and Cable. Every year is a fresh restart with a dozen plus candidates. Different draft class. Changes to the roster of returning veterans. JS and others put a lot of time and effort into preparing for free agency and draft. Each year is unique. I think they annually review everything and modify their approach to talent acquisition and retention in recognition of the supply and demand of the cap era. It's an annual process they cycle thru.

Thank you. Great post.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• 12forlife wrote:

Made me bust out laughing! I officially nominate this for .NET "Post of the Week".

Wait... .NET doesn't have an official "Post of the Week Award"... OK, so I'm officially starting this award, "Oly's Official .NET Post of the Week Award". 12forlife is the first winner. Criteria: making at least ONE .NET reader laugh hard enough to snort milk through his (or her) nostrils, while also making a great, almost-plausible-enough-to-take-seriously point, in a positive way. The prize... tell em Don Pardo... <Pardo>You get public recognition, , in the obscure, oft-overlooked, seldom-read posts of OlyFan63, for meritorious service to .NET. And... thats not all... You also get, the coveted OlyFan63 "No-Prize", in the tradition of Marvel Comics. And, no Rice-a-Roni, just San Francisco beat. </Pardo>

*Stan Lee's nephew was my older brother's best friend. At my house, No-Prizes were an institution.

P.S. PrYor does still own the NFL record for longest TD run by a QB, I believe 93 yards vs. Steelers a few years back.

Edit: corrected last name spelling. I don't know if he has any priors so I shouldn't assume and should just spell his damn name correctly.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information