Did the Seahawks FO know Thomas injury was coming?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Earl Thomas' leg break should have been fixed with a rod and that because it wasnt a break was always likely to be an issue if put under pressure again.

Could explain the reticence to extend Earl although Id imagine they would have traded him for whatever they could have got.

If this is the case then surely the FO were right to stick to their guns and ultimately its Earl who has cost himself a big pay day?

seabowl

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2hxx1fdj said:
I read somewhere that Earl Thomas' leg break should have been fixed with a rod and that because it wasnt a break was always likely to be an issue if put under pressure again.

Could explain the reticence to extend Earl although Id imagine they would have traded him for whatever they could have got.

If this is the case then surely the FO were right to stick to their guns and ultimately its Earl who has cost himself a big pay day?

Sorry but preposterous.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And....here we go. Yeah, because the Front Office somehow is supposed to and/or able to know when a player will get a fluke injury :roll:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
This is right up there with people blaming Wilson for the injuries to Graham and Lockett.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't you know? It's obviously that everything bad that has ever happened is the fault of Pete, John or Russ.

Steve2222

Reaction score
If the Seahawks could somehow forecast injuries lol, ET would have been traded already.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I know as soon as he got hurt, people would immediately say "see, they should have traded him"
As if they weren't already trying to. :?

Steve2222

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1a82c977 said:
I know as soon as he got hurt, people would immediately say "see, they should have traded him"
As if they weren't already trying to. :?

Was that directed towards me?

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
This isnt about the FO being to blame for the injury, it's about Earl being responsible for his injury. The rumour is it wasn't fixed correctly at Earl's insistence. With that in mind it makes sense for the FO to have waited to see how it played out.

I just passed on the rumour I didnt say I agreed with it. It makes sense apart from the fact if the FO did know then I'm sure he would have been traded fairly sharpish.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not at all, just the many people who spend more time thrashing the front office. Especially after injuries.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
If the FO knew Earl would get injured again they would have traded him to Dallas for a 7th round pick and a plate of BBQ.

TreeRon

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2wmbqbx6 said:

A rod would have made another break more likely. You would have an solid rod attached to a flexible bone. If struck at that joint, likely to break. Much like putting a wooden pencil on the edge of a desk and striking it.

Happened to my son playing prep football. We didn't figure this out until the 2nd break !

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not sure how you can predict a bone break? Hes getting older injuries are going to happen seems strange it would break again though.

sutz

Reaction score
Could I interest you in one of these?

220px-ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Brock and Salk mentioned it this morning, that the Hawks wanted to have him have a rod inserted, and it wasn't done. Just a natural heal, like you and I would do. Maybe he wouldn't have broken it again if there was a titanium rod surgically implanted. I don't know.... we don't even know yet if it was in the same location? Is that info out yet?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I highly doubt it in answer to the question posed. Otherwise they would have actually traded him for a draft pick. His injury was a fluke type injury anyway. Have they learned something from Chancellor’s situation? My bet is absolutely so and so Earl was only going to get a deal from the team competitive to his present deal.

However, Earl has reached an age at a position where injuries are to be expected. As much as I absolutely love him as a player his personality and the whole pay me or trade me thing was getting tiresome. If they knew he was getting hurt they would have already traded him.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I just think the dude needs to drink more milk or something. Just like Largent and Zorn. Those guys didn't break bones.

Usually intramedullary nails are used to speed healing. I'm not sure they strengthen the bone and make it more resistant to fracture. It's just that you can start weight bearing sooner with a nail in place.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Did they know?

That's insane, no one knows how a player will respond after serious injuries. But did they know there was enough of a chance of more injuries? Absolutely, and thus why we didn't give Earl what he wanted.

It's a bummer, and really worst case scenario for both sides. No pick for us, and no extension for Earl............and most importantly for the team we just lost an All Pro safety.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
As a Sports Physical Therapist and Athletic Trainer here is my take:

1. Those of you trashing the OP and his idea that the front office had concerns about the leg need to step off.

2. The initial fracture was NOT surgically repaired, which really surprises me with the complexity of the fracture. Whether that was Earl's decision entirely, or at the suggestion of the Seahawks' medical staff is unknown. However with that being the case I suspect that the Hawks have done imaging on the leg multiple times since then and realized that the fracture did not heal correctly. A healthy bone is not supposed to break under the type of pressure that it did yesterday (he simply planted hard and no contact involved, the fracture happened before he got to the receiver).

3. I think that the offseason and his contract/trade situation played out the way it did because they knew the tibia wasn't right. They didn't offer him a long term deal, knowing that the leg could go again at any time (as evidenced yesterday unfortunately). They also didn't trade him because opposing teams would have also done imaging on the leg, and he likely would have failed a physical anyways making the trade null and void. So my educated guess is that he Hawks decided to keep him, see what they could get out of him for the year and hope for the best knowing full well that this was a possibility and maybe even likely.

4. The good news for Earl is that if the leg is surgically repaired this time (a rod inserted in the tibia) then it significantly increases the likelihood that the fracture heals correctly. With that being the case he still has good years left in the NFL, should pass physicals with teams wanting to sign him in the offseason, and should be able to get a sizeable pay day like he has wanted for the past few months. It just will almost assuredly be somewhere other than Seattle.

Come at me bro.

Seymour

Reaction score
So we now knew Earl's leg would break but had no clue that Harvin's hip wasn't so hip even though he was a known hypochondriac and we checked him prior to trade?

NO!!! :177692: