Even with injury, Earl Thomas still has value

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
LargentFan":2ogv70jg said:
Not here to argue, just to see if I'm alone here...

I still hope we extend Earl. Amazing player and I don't get bent out of shape by his so-called "antics." I highly doubt he will ever play for us again, but I still hope so.

If I was the FO I would definitely offer something. I wouldn't want to close the dialogue. I am not worried about the injury at all, and I certainly wouldn't want to let a player of his caliber walk for nothing.

I would offer an extension as well.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Question is if this is going to affect whether or not the FO was going to franchise tag him?

Seymour

Reaction score
lukerguy":2efhw3nx said:
Rat":2efhw3nx said:
lukerguy":2efhw3nx said:
TwistedHusky":2efhw3nx said:
Guys coming off broken legs get 1 yr 'prove it' deals.

This was very bad for Earl.

He likely won't even get a multiple year FA offer, he certainly won't get much upfront money.

Recent notable signings after season ending injury:

Allan Robinson
3 year 42 MM- 25MM Guaranteed

Desmond Trufant
5 year 68MM- 42 Guaranteed

Maurkice Pouncey
5 year 44MM- 13 Guaranteed

You were saying.....?

Earl's injury was far better for him than any of the above injuries. There was no ligament damage, only bone damage.

Earl will not get a "prove it" deal if he hits the market- I can guarantee you that.

Weren't all those players considerably younger? Earl will be 30 when/if he hits free agency.

Sure, they were younger but their injuries were worse- more career altering. Earl's age is a factor but his injury isn't and those are different topics.

You are missing something...AGE.
Age is the #1 deterrent in signing Earl to a top 3 $$ safety contract, not the injury.
The injury just made the signing that much harder since last time that happened, he was on the edge of retirement in his own words.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Let it go, freaks. You're obviously too emotionally whacked out to know what kind of trouble you're asking for. Like frickin teenagers...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":2t8z9zub said:
Question is if this is going to affect whether or not the FO was going to franchise tag him?

I can't imagine our FO guaranteeing Earl 12M next year and taking that risk.

For what? To have another off season and regular season of holdout nonsense and Earl being a pain in the ass?

btw, nor would I think Earl would be OK with being franchised. He's wanted out since last year, and now that he's injured again? He'd go full Le'Veon Bell if we franchised him.

Makes no sense for either side. Both sides gambled, and lost. Move on.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don’t really agree he was playing at an MVP level. He was injured on a play where he got beat like a drum, after failing and getting bailed out on the post (you had one job! Hah) earlier. Yes, he got a few tipped interceptions, and he has been playing well — but he has had quite a few uncharacteristic negative plays (not just this week), too. Also remember he has played against Keenum, Trubisky, Prescott and Rosen. . . He has played well, but saying MVP is hyperbole.

I think he has no trade value now. Other teams see his antics, too. I can’t imagine anyone paying him as the top safety in the league now (or large guarantees), which would mean immediate ‘disrespect’ and dissatisfaction from Earl. It starts all over with a new team. Age, injuries, attitude, market all working against him.

The tag is likely the most guaranteed money he would get. Will be really interesting to see how it plays out. He wanted to retire last time. . . Would he even play on a deal like Sherman’s?

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Maybe not Coug_Hawk, but he graded as the top defensive player through 3 weeks. There's no way he would have won the MVP though, but perhaps through three weeks:)

Atradees

Reaction score
Changed my mind. He is a Cancer. He got some Karma for dissing the team that made him generationally wealthy.

We have some real Cool Cats on this team.

Chapow

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1fyll8ir said:
I don’t really agree he was playing at an MVP level. He was injured on a play where he got beat like a drum, after failing and getting bailed out on the post (you had one job! Hah) earlier. Yes, he got a few tipped interceptions, and he has been playing well — but he has had quite a few uncharacteristic negative plays (not just this week), too. Also remember he has played against Keenum, Trubisky, Prescott and Rosen. . . He has played well, but saying MVP is hyperbole.

He's a defensive player so MVP just isn't going to happen, but "he has played well" seems like more than a just a bit of an understatement. He was literally playing like the best defensive player in the league.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_AustinGayle/status/1044964566650695680[/tweet]

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
lukerguy":2hxkf2w1 said:
Maybe not Coug_Hawk, but he graded as the top defensive player through 3 weeks. There's no way he would have won the MVP though, but perhaps through three weeks:)

Yes, had seen that. However, some specific plays: Sanders TD, Zeke would be TD, now TD against Cards and burned on post prior. I am not sure how PFF assigns those types of things, but blowing coverage like that seems bad? I am not saying he has been awful by any means, that’s not the case, but I don’t really follow their rating as the absolute top defensive player when he has had some significant negative plays directly involving points or other would be points sans drops/stepping out of bounds.

justafan

Reaction score
Earl is great and I wish it wouldnt have ended this way but I am ready for the old guard to be gone and leave room for new leaders to step up.

Clean up the dead cap space and older players and move on.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Goodbye Earl.

Classless departure hurt his value league-wide. Not to mention sitting out of practices fiasco.
Earl would be grossly overpaid if franchise tagged next year.
Other teams will question how much tread is left on the tires. I really doubt he gets a big contract even after a full recovery. Maybe a one-year rental by a team and a two-year extension if he absolutely balls out.

Earl has made it way too difficult to root for him. Burned bridges unnecessarily in the process. Just not smart. Earl, fire your agent or whoever is giving you advice. You've handled this whole situation very stupidly. Or just maybe you're the smartest one, laughing all the way to the bank while you sit at home.

mort

Reaction score
I just wish he could’ve retired a hawk. Now I kinda hope he doesn’t for his sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I hope im right here but those suggesting using the tag because safety contracts are in general low are missing the fact that this won't apply to Earl. Isnt the tag the average OR your last contract plus 20% whichever is greater. Have i got that right?

mort

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1e6wkwxx said:
Isn’t the tag the average OR your last contract plus 20% whichever is greater. Have i got that right?

Average of the top 5 at that position or 120% of last contact whichever is greater.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Atradees":1ftpa1ob said:
Changed my mind. He is a Cancer. He got some Karma for dissing the team that made him generationally wealthy.

We have some real Cool Cats on this team.

Earl Thomas made himself wealthy. If it wasn’t the Seahawks, some other team would have paid him.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Earl's value now is about what Sherman's is. He might have a little bit left in the tank, someone will surely sign him next season, but for far less than his current $10 million a year.

I think everyone knows that like Sherman, Earl's best days are behind him. Fortunately, both made a lot of money and had great careers. Nothing lasts forever, especially in the NFL.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The franchise tag would be great for Earl. It’s more than he’s likely to get on a “prove it” type deal post-injury.

It would allow him to remain in the same dominant Seahawks system while he bounces back from injury, as he did in 2017.