Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Passing game is unacceptable for an NFL offense

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I wouldn't call it unacceptable.

But like I said in another thread, we do need a better run/pass balance. Can't have 39 yards of passing after two quarters like Sunday, have to get Russell and the receivers involved in the offense sooner than the 4th quarter.

So that's all I'm asking for, better balance.

You mean we can't just flip a switch and win using tactics we consistently avoid through most the game?

Sheesh!

Crazy, I know.

"Why does Russell look so indecisive in the four and two minute offenses and the O-line all of a sudden can't pass protect in the 4th quarter when we're trying to come from behind!"

Maybe cause we had 10 pass plays the entire game up until that point and never once ran up tempo?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

But like I said in another thread, we do need a better run/pass balance. Can't have 39 yards of passing after two quarters like Sunday, have to get Russell and the receivers involved in the offense sooner than the 4th quarter.

You mean we can't just flip a switch and win using tactics we consistently avoid through most the game?

Sheesh!

Crazy, I know.

"Why does Russell look so indecisive in the four and two minute offenses and the O-line all of a sudden can't pass protect in the 4th quarter when we're trying to come from behind!"

Maybe cause we had 10 pass plays the entire game up until that point and never once ran up tempo?

I think this two post exchange sums up what I was overly verbose about in the other thread.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

Sheesh!

Crazy, I know.

I think this two post exchange sums up what I was overly verbose about in the other thread.

This also puts a crazy amount of pressure on them to execute when every third down is an obvious passing play. Getting to third and manageable is a good goal but rarely straying from run-run-pass lets the defense get comfortable. One good play by the defense likely results in a punt. 2/9 on third down while rushing for 273? They have to stretch the field once in awhile other than on 3rd to keep them honest, second week in a row against a good team they adjusted to fully defending the run on first and second and weren't punished for it. I think I saw Russ was 8/8 on play action going into the final drives.... why wasn't this utilized more, especially on early downs? Easy completions makes running even easier when they get frozen on play action.

Running the ball this well is awesome but there has to be a little bit of variance in play calls or else they will be seeing 8 man boxes on first and second the rest of the season and then pass rushers on 3rd. I saw on twitter a stat saying if a pass is called on first (rare), they run the ball on 2nd something like 95% of the time. League is way too metric driven at this point to tip your hand and give the defense an advantage.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:

Sheesh!

Crazy, I know.

This also puts a crazy amount of pressure on them to execute when every third down is an obvious passing play.
    Getting to third and manageable is a good goal but rarely straying from run-run-pass lets the defense get comfortable. One good play by the defense likely results in a punt. 2/9 on third down while rushing for 273? They have to stretch the field once in awhile other than on 3rd to keep them honest, second week in a row against a good team they adjusted to fully defending the run on first and second and weren't punished for it. I think I saw Russ was 8/8 on play action going into the final drives.... why wasn't this utilized more, especially on early downs? Easy completions makes running even easier when they get frozen on play action.

Running the ball this well is awesome but there has to be a little bit of variance in play calls or else they will be seeing 8 man boxes on first and second the rest of the season and then pass rushers on 3rd. I saw on twitter a stat saying if a pass is called on first (rare), they run the ball on 2nd something like 95% of the time. League is way too metric driven at this point to tip your hand and give the defense an advantage.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:This also puts a crazy amount of pressure on them to execute when every third down is an obvious passing play. Getting to third and manageable is a good goal but rarely straying from run-run-pass lets the defense get comfortable. One good play by the defense likely results in a punt. 2/9 on third down while rushing for 273? They have to stretch the field once in awhile other than on 3rd to keep them honest, second week in a row against a good team they adjusted to fully defending the run on first and second and weren't punished for it. I think I saw Russ was 8/8 on play action going into the final drives.... why wasn't this utilized more, especially on early downs? Easy completions makes running even easier when they get frozen on play action.

These are good points.

I will definitely say that this year we are seeing far, far less 3 and outs and so in that respect I am grateful. I think most of the fans are actually happy with the number of runs and the success of the runs, and just a little little bit more unpredictability to leverage what should be a massive play action advantage would be smack in the goldilocks zone.

I mean if it's between this and 3 and out and defense back out there 30 seconds later, we'll take this all day. It's just we watch teams that run the ball effectively and see how it is such a force multiplier for the pass game, and wonder why it isn't a force multiplier for our pass game. It's not even yards to me. Russ will hit some deep shots. It's that outside of deep shots there is no slicing and dicing the area the LBs are vacating in play action for wide-open catches.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:This also puts a crazy amount of pressure on them to execute when every third down is an obvious passing play. Getting to third and manageable is a good goal but rarely straying from run-run-pass lets the defense get comfortable. One good play by the defense likely results in a punt. 2/9 on third down while rushing for 273? They have to stretch the field once in awhile other than on 3rd to keep them honest, second week in a row against a good team they adjusted to fully defending the run on first and second and weren't punished for it. I think I saw Russ was 8/8 on play action going into the final drives.... why wasn't this utilized more, especially on early downs? Easy completions makes running even easier when they get frozen on play action.

These are good points.

I will definitely say that this year we are seeing far, far less 3 and outs and so in that respect I am grateful. I think most of the fans are actually happy with the number of runs and the success of the runs, and just a little little bit more unpredictability to leverage what should be a massive play action advantage would be smack in the goldilocks zone.

I mean if it's between this and 3 and out and defense back out there 30 seconds later, we'll take this all day. It's just we watch teams that run the ball effectively and see how it is such a force multiplier for the pass game, and wonder why it isn't a force multiplier for our pass game. It's not even yards to me. Russ will hit some deep shots. It's that outside of deep shots there is no slicing and dicing the area the LBs are vacating in play action for wide-open catches.

This football is waaaaaaaaaaay more entertaining that last years so no complaints here. But I just get this nagging feeling that Cable was malignant and Solari's work is what is driving our run game turnaround - not really Schotty being super brill at what Pete has opined on wanting.

But just for the sake of argument - is our passing game up to snuff? Can it be improved in any capacity by coaching doing something different? Does it rest mostly on the players finding it within themselves to rise up and do the damn thing?
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:It’s great they run the ball well but that should open up easy passes as seen by the other good offenses. A solid running game lets the Rams, saints, chiefs, pats all make easy passes for 300 yards each week. Russell Wilson should not be relegated to a game manager with less than 100 yards going into the fourth. It is a genuine problem and Schotty’s history indicates nothing will change.

If you want to be a high school style offense with a QB making only a handful of passes per game, go get Sam Bradford.

You can call it what you want but we have the most physical offense in the league. The running game is hiding our defense from being exposed more than it has been. Give them a year or two.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• I thought this team had come of age when on 4th and 2yds Russ called that audible into a run and we got the first down. Chargers game? We can handle 8 in the box and still scratch out 2 or 3 yards.

I love the way Norton was running Buddy Ryans ol 4 6 defense just daring them to run the ball on us, NOW thats how to impose your will on anothers team. Loved it!!!!

Some people don't realize it, but we are living in a exciting times. :2thumbs:
    Cheers
    SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS XLVIII 43-8

Better to have a bottle in front of me,then a frontly lobotmy.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information