New Pass Interference "reviewable" rule

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
The only thing that makes me nervous is that it hurts teams when there were multiple issues with a play that the refs held their flags on. For example, a Sherman play a few years back that could have had PI called on his contact with JJ. There was an illegal hands to the face by Julio at the start of the play. The refs let both calls go. If that happened this season, it gets reviewed and they call PI, ignoring the call they should have made on Jones, which would offset.

In scenarios like that, this new rule has the potential to negatively impact the game.

Tical21

Reaction score
It's mere existence negatively impacts the game.

Final 2 minutes are now going to take 30. Crap receivers are going to get 40 yard plays because slow motion shows they got touched by a DB. The solution is far worse than the problem ever was.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1ga2sh4o said:

Final 2 minutes are now going to take 30. Crap receivers are going to get 40 yard plays because slow motion shows they got touched by a DB. The solution is far worse than the problem ever was.

I'm of this opinion.

Last two minutes will be like the NBA. And for any team that is reliant on defense to win, it's going to hurt them terribly.

And I expect Seattle will just operate with two timeouts and no challenges as a base rule. Because Pete is naturally prone to throwing the flag in abjectly stupid low leverage scenarios (3 yard incompletes on first down, spot of ball etc.). Giving him another option to throw a flag where a judgement on a judgement call is in question is just going to be catnip for him.

God forbid we start seeing DPIs on end of game hail mary passes. Like it or not, there is a flow to the game. Where officials rightly err on the side of not influencing a game by penalty assessment. This is not a good rule for Seattle, as we've mastered playing in this gray area for years.

Ozzy

Reaction score
They made this more complicated than it needed to be. Have an eye in the sky for each crew that can communicate with the guys on the field. If that's in place last year during the Saints game they huddle up, talk about it and make the right call and it takes all of 1 minute.

pmedic920

Reaction score
They could really help the situation if they would make PI a “x” yard penalty.

It’s ridiculous that it’s still a spot foul.

Review will help in some circumstances, it will muddy the water in others.

5,10, or 15 yards whatever but get rid of the “spot foul”.

YMMV

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
This makes no sense.. what an emotional response :roll: Officiating this with any sort of consistency is impossible

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Great.

More ability for referees to steer the outcome of games by making subjective decisions.

At a minimum, egregious PI should be its own penalty. The spot foul for PI should be removed from PI (except egregious/blatant PI.) and turned into a 15 yd penalty.

The problem with putting games in the hands of the refs, you need to be able to trust the refs. Nobody does.

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":2jsf7qey said:
They made this more complicated than it needed to be. Have an eye in the sky for each crew that can communicate with the guys on the field. If that's in place last year during the Saints game they huddle up, talk about it and make the right call and it takes all of 1 minute.

This^^^

They just made a bad situation worse. I don't like the 15 yd penalty call either. That just promotes tacking the WR when he is beating you to save the TD.

mrt144

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":zyt6u5vh said:
The only thing that makes me nervous is that it hurts teams when there were multiple issues with a play that the refs held their flags on. For example, the Sherman INT a few years back that could have had PI called on his contact with Fitz. There was an illegal hands to the face by Fitz at the start of the play. The refs let both calls go. If that happened this season, it gets reviewed and they call PI, ignoring the call they should have made on Fitz, which would offset.

In scenarios like that, this new rule has the potential to negatively impact the game.

Julio Jones?

mrt144

Reaction score
pmedic920":r1i37jd4 said:
They could really help the situation if they would make PI a “x” yard penalty.

It’s ridiculous that it’s still a spot foul.

Review will help in some circumstances, it will muddy the water in others.

5,10, or 15 yards whatever but get rid of the “spot foul”.

YMMV

I personally like escalating penalties per drive. First DPI - 10 yard penalty. 2nd is 20. 3rd is Spot foul and the player in question must sit out a drive.

This would actually make DPI strategic in one instance but pretty crummy to continuously do.

Personally, I think a sin bin is the greatest way to penalize strategic penalties.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tical21":jmlihl9w said:

Pretty much this. This is going to do nothing but increase claims of bias, not reduce them.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Although this new rule might frustrate fans when the call goes against their team, it's ultimately about maintaining the integrity of the game, which I support. I don't even like the Saints, but I know they were the ones that deserved to be in the Super Bowl. That non-call was so blatant, and the ref was right there, tell me that doesn't frustrate you.

chris98251

Reaction score
Good thing Gronk retired, his push off could be considered a penalty that could be challenged on replay, he was a end zone go to guy that caught a lot of his passes that way. As a defender your going to want your coach to have a flag at the end of the game for this offensive pass interference situation as well as the offense wanting one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would love to see mrt's solution in place.

Solves both problems, prevents a bad call from literally flipping the game in a tight contest but prevents blatant PI that derails the fun of watching a game.

Someone should have emailed that suggestion to the competition committee.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":15fuurgw said:
I would love to see mrt's solution in place.

Solves both problems, prevents a bad call from literally flipping the game in a tight contest but prevents blatant PI that derails the fun of watching a game.

Someone should have emailed that suggestion to the competition committee.

I did.

But you see, I am a diagnostician at heart. I can tell you the problem and several possible solutions with their own issues but others have to have the willpower to enact them and look stupid.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
This will ruin the game. They will take 4+ Hours to finish.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2dh28b58 said:

See, I don't think the game length will be severely impacted, rather, it'll be a nauseating 'will he or won't he' that would make Ross and Rachel blush.

edogg23

Reaction score
mrt144":161zgj5v said:
Seahwkgal":161zgj5v said:

See, I don't think the game length will be severely impacted, rather, it'll be a nauseating 'will he or won't he' that would make Ross and Rachel blush.

There is like 30 commercial breaks in a football game, they can easily add as much replay as needed and replace the stupid commercial breaks between every kick , change of possession etc....

mrt144

Reaction score
edogg23":2edaxcrx said:
mrt144":2edaxcrx said:
Seahwkgal":2edaxcrx said:

There is like 30 commercial breaks in a football game, they can easily add as much replay as needed and replace the stupid commercial breaks between every kick , change of possession etc....

It's not the replay in itself - it's that given the possible frequency of DPI or OPI that exists currently in the game will reflexively lead commentators to invoke the question more frequently because possible redress now exists.

"Oh, that was an obvious mugging by the DB, but it's only the 2nd drive of the game...what will the coach do..."

Rinse and repeat at least 15 other times in the game.