Playing down to weaker opponents.

xray

Reaction score
This phenom always has puzzled me ; because there really isn't an excuse for it . My example for this thread will be the two AZ games from last year. 9/30/2018...Seahawks 20--Az 17...12/30/18...Seahawks 27--Az 24. AZ . AZ was the worst team in the NFL last year . The Hawks should of mauled them ; but barely squeaked out those wins . Is it lack of preparation for opponents like this ; lack of focus on game day ; or being overly confident . Probably a boring topic but it is a boring time of year . :snack:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It happens all over the league, not just here in Seattle. But yeah, it's pretty annoying that they don't just kick a team in the teeth when they are the far better team. But, just look at the NFL these days, teams barely squeak by all the time. Still gotta' lace em up. I'm sure the players will always play it down and act like they treat every game the same, it's just clearly not the case. Teams get up for games against better teams and division rivals, period. The Hawks have won some huge games over very good teams, yet in the same season allowed a crap team to beat them. Especially in road games. On the other hand, the Hawks have been the hunted for a long while now, so teams will always get hyped up to beat us. Especially the championship level teams under Pete. With all the jabbering and swagger (which I have zero problem with because we backed it up) of course teams want to shut our guys up. Luckily, in the LOB years we were on the winning side more than just about any team other than the Pats.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The NFL is a parity league, the average margin of victory across the entire league is less than 7 pts.

So it's not just us, it's hard to win an NFL game, against any team.............and it's compounded inside your own division where teams know your schemes, formations, tendencies and player personnel better than anyone.

Having said all this, I do think Pete playcalls more conservatively against weaker opponents, instead of taking risks to blow them out. Which was fine when we had one of the greatest defenses in the history of the NFL to hold those opponents to less than 10 pts a game.

So the overall consensus for me is yes I'd like to see the offense opened up against mediocre to weaker opponents, and take more risks as we're trying to put together another great defense.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2z0yvj8y said:
It happens all over the league, not just here in Seattle. But yeah, it's pretty annoying that they don't just kick a team in the teeth when they are the far better team. But, just look at the NFL these days, teams barely squeak by all the time. Still gotta' lace em up. I'm sure the players will always play it down and act like they treat every game the same, it's just clearly not the case. Teams get up for games against better teams and division rivals, period. The Hawks have won some huge games over very good teams, yet in the same season allowed a crap team to beat them. Especially in road games. On the other hand, the Hawks have been the hunted for a long while now, so teams will always get hyped up to beat us. Especially the championship level teams under Pete. With all the jabbering and swagger (which I have zero problem with because we backed it up) of course teams want to shut our guys up. Luckily, in the LOB years we were on the winning side more than just about any team other than the Pats.

True . Another interesting anomaly is that those games seem to produce the most injuries ; like they just weren't ready to play for some reason.

chris98251

Reaction score
Some of it is a mental thing, Arizona though I think it was a lot of match up situations. They had really Good WR's and a really good interior defense. We also seem to play them a lot with one of the back ups at QB and for some reason always struggled and they had big days, in fact that happens a lot to us by a lot of teams when their Starter is out.

kobebryant

Reaction score
It's really the nature of the league and why it is so entertaining and why gambling on it is so tough and popular.

Not to oversimplify it, but NFL players are really really good at football regardless of the record of their team. And due to the violent nature of the sport, half-assing it isn't an option when you're on the field.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maybe it's teams like Arizona playing UP to stronger opponents? Inter-divisional games are always tougher, but I see the same thing happening out of division.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt about it. Even when the Cards are horrible, they play us tough. Those game are almost always snot knockers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":195eje5a said:
The NFL is a parity league, the average margin of victory across the entire league is less than 7 pts.

So it's not just us, it's hard to win an NFL game, against any team.............and it's compounded inside your own division where teams know your schemes, formations, tendencies and player personnel better than anyone.

Having said all this, I do think Pete playcalls more conservatively against weaker opponents, instead of taking risks to blow them out. Which was fine when we had one of the greatest defenses in the history of the NFL to hold those opponents to less than 10 pts a game.

So the overall consensus for me is yes I'd like to see the offense opened up against mediocre to weaker opponents, and take more risks as we're trying to put together another great defense.
Exactly, great points! :2thumbs:
I think DK will really open up this offense. We will see though.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Reality in the NFL is that bottom feeders as far as record regularly play tight games and just quite can't get over the hump into the winning column. Every game is a fight unless you come out firing on all cylinders and the other team doesn't and that's not that common.

If your bar is college football's...Alabama playing Appalachian State then you're going to be let down. It's pro football, not 1 bazillion dollar programs vs needs federal funding.

Jville

Reaction score
xray":3d61cyqp said:
This phenom always has puzzled me ; because there really isn't an excuse for it . My example for this thread will be the two AZ games from last year. 9/30/2018...Seahawks 20--Az 17...12/30/18...Seahawks 27--Az 24. AZ . AZ was the worst team in the NFL last year . The Hawks should of mauled them ; but barely squeaked out those wins . Is it lack of preparation for opponents like this ; lack of focus on game day ; or being overly confident . Probably a boring topic but it is a boring time of year . :snack:

I don't view it as playing down to weaker opponents. I view it as outcomes to game plans designed for the talent available to both coaching staffs.

By the way, this is in no way a boring topic. Keep posting. This is like a preseason for moderators. :lol: Good practice before Seahawk events really ramp up.

Thanks for posting the topic :2thumbs:

pmedic920

Reaction score
ivotuk":yohlcpj6 said:
Maybe it's teams like Arizona playing UP to stronger opponents? Inter-divisional games are always tougher, but I see the same thing happening out of division.

This seems like the most likely answer too me.

Interesting take, hadn’t thought about this way until now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's tough to consider divisional opponents as weaker opponents. When you face any opponent 2x /year they get to know how the best play against you and even if you are better/stronger those divisional opponents make it tough for your team.

No team can be up for every game but playing down to teams the media think are 'weaker opponents' may not necessarily be the case as matchups need to be considered and sometimes those 'weaker opponents' matchup better than 'stronger opponents'.

Still it sucks to lose to team the talking heads think your team should beat handily. Reality is however, that on any given Sunday, Monday or Thursday, etc., etc..

bmorepunk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1sfr619z said:
It's tough to consider divisional opponents as weaker opponents. When you face any opponent 2x /year they get to know how the best play against you and even if you are better/stronger those divisional opponents make it tough for your team.

No team can be up for every game but playing down to teams the media think are 'weaker opponents' may not necessarily be the case as matchups need to be considered and sometimes those 'weaker opponents' matchup better than 'stronger opponents'.

Still it sucks to lose to team the talking heads think your team should beat handily. Reality is however, that on any given Sunday, Monday or Thursday, etc., etc..

The vaunted Patriots, who always do everything right (per legend I see on this board) have dropped one of their games versus the Dolphins five out of the last six seasons. The "playing down" trope is boring and ignores the reality of how close the best and worst NFL teams are. This isn't college football.

knownone

Reaction score
Our game-plan lends itself to closer games regardless of the talent level of the opponent. We are hard to finish when our opponent has a clear talent advantage, and we lack the arsenal to put teams away when we are better than them.

The Seahawks are the Pernell Whitaker of football teams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points about how close these teams really are on any given Sun/Mon/Thur. A few plays a game are often the difference. Regardless of records etc. These teams often are better than their record and vice versa.
I love the fact that there are so many close games and hope it continues.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Jville":1luj1cwn said:
xray":1luj1cwn said:

I don't view it as playing down to weaker opponents. I view it as outcomes to game plans designed for the talent available to both coaching staffs.

By the way, this is in no way a boring topic. Keep posting. This is like a preseason for moderators. :lol: Good practice before Seahawk events really ramp up.

Thanks for posting the topic :2thumbs:

I wish more members would post " new topics " especially this time of year...something to keep the interest up everyday .

JGreen79

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2fgmz59e said:
jammerhawk":2fgmz59e said:

The vaunted Patriots, who always do everything right (per legend I see on this board) have dropped one of their games versus the Dolphins five out of the last six seasons. The "playing down" trope is boring and ignores the reality of how close the best and worst NFL teams are. This isn't college football.

Absolutely, especially between teams in the same division. Tom Brady is 7-10 for his career at Miami.