Brian Schottenheimer

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He was brought in to challenge Russ and take him to another level and I believe he has done that. I was less than enthused with his hire but I think its pretty clear at this point I was wrong. Russ has been leaps and bounds better in the pocket this year and his accuracy/footwork was better as well.
For as much as people get frustrated with this offense they were top 5 DVOA this year and were decimated by injuries on offense. Thats a really impressive showing to me.
If Dissly could just not get hurt next year (or we draft another impact TE that can block) I think this offense is maybe the best in the NFL. Even with a run first slow it down philosophy. Especially if DK makes a sophomore jump.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm inclined to think that DK Metcalf has grown so rapidly on the job ....... that he has already bypassed a sophomore jump.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I would agree, we all get fed up with the playcalling from time to time but I think that is just the reality of what any offensive coordinator can do given what Pete's plan is. You can have the most innovative play caller on the planet and Petes can reign him in. So all you can really measure Shotty on is was the red zone production better than in years past, yes, was Russ better, yes. With a better line and at least one more reciever who can catch, no more Browns, Turners, and a healthy rb corps it can compete with any offense in the league. As such I give Shotty props for the work hes done.

sutz

Reaction score
People over-emphasize the "run first" thing with Pete. Looking back, It seems to me that we throw a lot in the first half.

Pete wants a balanced offense, with the ability to run when needed as a feature.

I think Schotty has done a pretty good job with two seasons behind him.

Kinger95

Reaction score
I’ve never thought about it like that but he has taken Russ and the O to a new level but it’s just sad to see that it takes half a game/us being down double digits to flip that switch. I think if we could run our 4th quarter offence for 3 quarters a game we’d have an elite O. The question isn’t wether we can score it’s how we try to most the game

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
sutz":2j8gkywo said:
People over-emphasize the "run first" thing with Pete. Looking back, It seems to me that we throw a lot in the first half.

Pete wants a balanced offense, with the ability to run when needed as a feature.

I think Schotty has done a pretty good job with two seasons behind him.
950 KJR said the first half Seattle threw it more than run it.

Yes, it is true.

The problem a lot of the times is strictly momentum and tempo.

Russell does a damn good job when the tempo is quick but when it’s slowed down the defense is better prepared to stop Seattle’s offense.

Seattle needs to play with a quick tempo, not necessary pass or run more, just more quick tempo and the defense on their heels some more.

A quick rhythm tempo might just solves Seattle’s lack of any production in the first half.

Carroll needs to speed things up in the first half.

Wilson is at his best when he has a quick rhythm tempo.

John63

Reaction score
Kinger95":3vloarlj said:
I’ve never thought about it like that but he has taken Russ and the O to a new level but it’s just sad to see that it takes half a game/us being down double digits to flip that switch. I think if we could run our 4th quarter offence for 3 quarters a game we’d have an elite O. The question isn’t wether we can score it’s how we try to most the game

Thats not schotty that is PC, remember you cant win in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd. He wants a tight game and win in the end., They use the first half to test the defense etc etc.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think Schottenheimer could be, at best, an above average OC with the likes of Wilson as his QB but he's forced to follow what Pete wants for offense.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That Schotty is the son of the guy who led to the term 'MartyBall' is no coincidence.

And it doesn't matter, he is at the helm of an offense that is borderline worthless in the 1st half, for at least 1/2 of the games we play.

That is probably on Pete, but it is Schotty's job.

I am learning it just means I need to compartmentalize. Enjoy the regular season (this season we started occasionally scoring TDs in the 1st half which is a HUGE positive change) and just accept that I shouldn't expect anything past the wildcard game. Success to me didn't have to be a SB, just not getting blown out by the 1st half seemed a reasonable ask. But it is what it is.

He gets some credit for a small part of the results with Wilson and clearly gets credit for keeping a running game going with whatever we have healthy. Still think that Wilson under a more tactically sound, imaginative OC would be much more effective and do much better in the playoffs.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1y93a617 said:
That Schotty is the son of the guy who led to the term 'MartyBall' is no coincidence.

And it doesn't matter, he is at the helm of an offense that is borderline worthless in the 1st half, for at least 1/2 of the games we play.

That is probably on Pete, but it is Schotty's job.

I am learning it just means I need to compartmentalize. Enjoy the regular season (this season we started occasionally scoring TDs in the 1st half which is a HUGE positive change) and just accept that I shouldn't expect anything past the wildcard game. Success to me didn't have to be a SB, just not getting blown out by the 1st half seemed a reasonable ask. But it is what it is.

He gets some credit for a small part of the results with Wilson and clearly gets credit for keeping a running game going with whatever we have healthy. Still think that Wilson under a more tactically sound, imaginative OC would be much more effective and do much better in the playoffs.

Agreed but that is all on PC he doe snto want any of that.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"That Schotty is the son of the guy who led to the term 'MartyBall' is no coincidence."
Totally unfair. Are you exactly like your father? I know I am not.
Sure he listened to his Dad as he was growing up and he influenced him at least for awhile. Like all of us though as we got older and was influenced by more coaches and circumstances I'm sure he's evolved beyond Marty Ball.

Brian runs the offense the HC wants him to run. I feel fairly confident that if Pete cut him loose Brian (and Russ) would be somewhat more liberal in their approach.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This type of football is literally what MartyBall was.

Great regular seasons. Bounced in the playoffs.

Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers fans know this.

Most people watching this type of football that watched it on any of the above teams recognize it instantly.

We have been playing MartyBall(ish) anyway, Pete hiring Marty's son just sealed our commitment to it.

If Brian engineered another type of football, we would recognize it. This is MartyBall for the 2010s. That Brian is repeating his father's success in the regular season and futility in the playoffs is no accident. He is following the template pretty closely.

Torc

Reaction score
John63":1pd1y6rq said:
Kinger95":1pd1y6rq said:

Thats not schotty that is PC, remember you cant win in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd. He wants a tight game and win in the end., They use the first half to test the defense etc etc.

I don't mind a close game, I'm pretty confident that Russell is going to win those most of the time. I DO get frustrated spotting the other team 14-20 points in the first half and then having to come back from it. If we have a solid defense and the halftime score is 10-7 or something, I'd be totally fine with it.

John63

Reaction score
Torc":3b8i17zv said:
John63":3b8i17zv said:
Kinger95":3b8i17zv said:

I don't mind a close game, I'm pretty confident that Russell is going to win those most of the time. I DO get frustrated spotting the other team 14-20 points in the first half and then having to come back from it. If we have a solid defense and the halftime score is 10-7 or something, I'd be totally fine with it.

or how about we have a 21 to 10 half time lead imagine that.

Torc

Reaction score
John63":1l41tz1z said:
Torc":1l41tz1z said:
John63":1l41tz1z said:
Kinger95":1l41tz1z said:

or how about we have a 21 to 10 half time lead imagine that.

Now that's just crazy talk! :)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2o7yc6eu said:

Most people watching this type of football that watched it on any of the above teams recognize it instantly.

We have been playing MartyBall(ish) anyway, Pete hiring Marty's son just sealed our commitment to it.

If Brian engineered another type of football, we would recognize it. This is MartyBall for the 2010s. That Brian is repeating his father's success in the regular season and futility in the playoffs is no accident. He is following the template pretty closely.
But it wasn't the offense that bounced us this year. Not to mention (but I'm going to anyway) Marty never threw as much as his son does.

getnasty

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":18enmhuh said:
TwistedHusky":18enmhuh said:

But it wasn't the offense that bounced us this year. Not to mention (but I'm going to anyway) Marty never threw as much as his son does.

We called 16 run plays compared to 43 pass plays agaisnt the Packers. 7 runs in the first half 9 in the second half. The biggest difference was Russell using his legs and poor 1st half execution. Hardly Marty Ball.

justafan

Reaction score
getnasty":25qnd5f1 said:
Jazzhawk":25qnd5f1 said:
TwistedHusky":25qnd5f1 said:

We called 16 run plays compared to 43 pass plays agaisnt the Packers. 7 runs in the first half 9 in the second half. The biggest difference was Russell using his legs and poor 1st half execution. Hardly Marty Ball.
Yep. We just play like crap early. Its not a philosophy or the cant win in the first mantra people claim. Its poor execution IMO.