Sad Day - Steve Raible Retiring from KIRO news

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
44E4DE58 0A85 41B3 8B69 E79E9E0C50DAHe will be missed.
I hope it’s true he’s staying for play by play.

GLio14

Reaction score
I'm not from the area, so it doesn't affect me that he's leaving the news. But I'm glad he's sticking on for play-by-play. I always look forward to highlights with his radio commentary.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
At least hes staying on as the voice of your seahawks. Long career and probably just looking fwd to working on the weekends and the odd thursday and monday.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, that's big news for sure. He's damn good and very versatile. Seems like for decades, you look up and there's Raible. Really glad he's sticking around at the voice of the Hawks.

sutz

Reaction score
Steve has been a workaholic for KIRO. Doing several news gigs all day, every day, then covering Seahawks radio, including every road trip when he was well enough to walk.

His radio broadcasts are pretty electric, and I've often been tempted to turn off the sound on my TV and listen to him. :)

Glad to see he will still be doing the play-by-play. He's a Seahawks icon. Love it when I see clips in the highlight shows and he's the one doing the calls.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Glad that he's staying on. I started syncing the radio and tv broadcasts and it improved my enjoyment of the game exponentially. Only ever veer from that if it is Al Michaels or Kevin Harlan in the booth.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Whew, I thought he was retiring from being the VOICE of the Seahawks when reading the subject title.

Well deserved...Here's to many more years as the VOICE of the Hawks!

"Holy Catfish!!"

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Glad he's going to stay on with the Hawks. Just a great voice for play by play. Never grating. Excited at the right moments without ever going over the top.
I don't think I've met anyone that didn't have something nice to say about the guy.

But some free time is well deserved.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wayne Cody, Pete Gross and Steve Raible, we have been blessed, hope he is in the booth for years to come.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
He needs to bring back the 'stache.

'Stache Raible had a cool as hell Burt Reynolds swagger that was a perfect fit for the Hawks.

Wayne Cody loved food and sports and got paid pretty well to enjoy both.

Kevin Calabro was the greatest Sonics play-by-play guy of all-time and was an integral part of those Payton/Reignman/Karl golden years when the Key was the place to be. Always got a kick out of watching the Pearl Jam guys get so into the games. Those were great party years and every Sonics game was a great party. Frankly a much cooler vibe in those years than the Seahawks have ever been IMO.

Bob Blackburn was where I got my Sonics listening start. Had his play-by-play on vinyl for the Sonics 1979 championship so I could listen to it as a kid over and over again. Had it memorized. Gus Williams and Lonnie Shelton were my favorites.

Bring back our Sonics dang it.

[youtube]Zcp09-Ou10E[/youtube]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I was at that game as well. As loud as any sporting event I've ever heard. That place was rockin, and that intro......so good. I'll never forget that day, ever. The clutch free throws from Detlef and Kemp in the 4th quarter, the countdown every time Karl Malone went to the free throw line, the dunk and point by Kemp...…..all of it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":3ewrpo6y said:
Steve has been a workaholic for KIRO. Doing several news gigs all day, every day, then covering Seahawks radio, including every road trip when he was well enough to walk.

His radio broadcasts are pretty electric, and I've often been tempted to turn off the sound on my TV and listen to him. :)

Glad to see he will still be doing the play-by-play. He's a Seahawks icon. Love it when I see clips in the highlight shows and he's the one doing the calls.

I was just going to ask, other than doing play-by-play, what did he do? But there's my answer!

BeerHawker

Reaction score
He is a Seahawks treasure. I synchronize the radio to the TV for Hawks' games when i am not in the building. In an emergency, when I cannot watch all of a game (e.g. we've run out of beer and I need to get down to the store), I do not miss any of the feel of the game.

I am Canadian, from Montreal, so I grew up listening to the great Danny Gallivan. I put Steve Raible on the same step as DG, at the top of the play-by-play podium.