LJ Collier

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If there is a season this year, what the hell do you want to see from this guy?

I know it was said this guy had a great senior bowl where he was unblockable, but I didn't see anything worth having for a first round pick while he was at TCU.

If he is supposed to play 5 tech, he did not showcase any speed/burst/explosion off the ball pass rushing and has very limited pass rush moves.

This guy better up some good numbers or else he is a bust for a first round pick.

You expect first round picks to be very solid contributors and this guy better do something cause his college film does not show him as anything special.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Anything would be an improvement from last season

nanomoz

Reaction score
He showed plenty at TCU. Dude manhandled people to notch an 18% pass rush win percentage. At 275+ pounds. That is insane for a power rusher.

He is now 290 pounds. He isn't supposed to be a twitchy Brian Burns-type. The hope is he becomes an inside/out guy that can move around and collapse the pocket all over.

2019 sucked, for sure, but I wanted him in the draft and it is too early to lose hope.

Elite run defense and plus pass rush are achievable this season (if, if). Fingers crossed.

His success is definitely critical to the success of the defense. Especially if Clowney isn't brought back.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is that true?

Missed the Senior Bowl, so this is interesting.

Was he really dominant then? Who did he square off against?

(* Note, I put no stock in 'great senior bowl practices' but there have been plenty of NFL stars that were really first on the radar due to stellar Senior Bowl games. This gives me a little bit of hope. Can you share a bit more on his play in that game?)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I feel his play could be very similar to Michael Bennett. Bennett didn’t light up the league in his first year either.

xray

Reaction score
29th overall pick ? This isn't good for the Hawks if he doesn't blossom the next time we see him play . IMO the Hawks should avoid 1st round picks altogether .

Rat

Reaction score
I googled Senior Bowl winners expecting to come back here and say that performance in that game is overrated, but the first result was from last year’s game and had Deebo Samuel and Terry McLaurin as the biggest winners, so there goes the condescending post I wanted to make...

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Rat":cywmpmrx said:
I googled Senior Bowl winners expecting to come back here and say that performance in that game is overrated, but the first result was from last year’s game and had Deebo Samuel and Terry McLaurin as the biggest winners, so there goes the condescending post I wanted to make...
6:40 LJ Collier

https://youtu.be/p2Soa5w8Mdc

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
xray":2p2fmin2 said:
29th overall pick ? This isn't good for the Hawks if he doesn't blossom the next time we see him play . IMO the Hawks should avoid 1st round picks altogether .
That’s likely why they try and trade out of the first round. Their 1st round talent evaluating skills need much improvement, and they know it.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Not sure why the team can't pick a first round pick that can contribute in their first year.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2vbhyco7 said:
Not sure why the team can't pick a first round pick that can contribute in their first year.
The Seahawks entire scouting and talent evaluation department staff been horrible since Scot McLaughlin left.

And their logic for drafting players of positional need (3-4 years down the road when they "need" them is rather questionable logic).

First and second round players should have a skill set that can contribute immediately.

Think about how bad Seattle's rookie class last year would have been without DK Metcalf?

It is perplexing you lose one personnel (McLaughlin) and all of a sudden the talent evaluation becomes terrible.

Why is Carroll keeping these guys around?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Geez, tough crowd.

Wasn't his ankle really messed up for most of the preseason/regular season? Let's give him a real chance, at least.

toffee

Reaction score
Bennett did do much the first season.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

themunn

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2k0k5989 said:
JayhawkMike":2k0k5989 said:
The Seahawks entire scouting and talent evaluation department staff been horrible since Scot McLaughlin left.

And their logic for drafting players of positional need (3-4 years down the road when they "need" them is rather questionable logic).

First and second round players should have a skill set that can contribute immediately.

Think about how bad Seattle's rookie class last year would have been without DK Metcalf?

It is perplexing you lose one personnel (McLaughlin) and all of a sudden the talent evaluation becomes terrible.

Why is Carroll keeping these guys around?

Scott McCloughan was a Seahawks scout all the way through to April 2014, which means his talent evaluation was responsible for the gamechanging 2013 and 2014 drafts as well.

It's unsurprising that our 2010 and 2012 drafts were our best under Carroll and Schneider, given in 2009 and 2011 we did not make it to the playoffs, and so our average draft position was much higher.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Not expecting much, but hoping it clicks for him. Sometimes it takes awhile.

With this front office's drafting history since about 2014 in place (way too many misses), it's hard to envision he will ever live up to his draft slot. They admittedly have a much different philosophy than other organizations, but it seems like they struggle greatly in the earlier rounds, which a few big exceptions.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I do not agree with the notion we should give up on making first round selections, despite our less than stellar record of success. Foregoing a pick at 28 (or whatever) in favor of picking at what may be the same 2nd rd position simply decreases the pool by another 30 of what figure to be the best players available. So NOW you in a better position to strike gold? That just makes no sense. To deal with repeated failure in first round picks you need to re-evaluate your evaluation process because that's the most likely source of the problem.
With respect to Collier it seems fair to say he has yet to have a solid chance to show his worth. But with the PT opportunities posed in the upcoming season that part of the equation should be addressed so we'll have a better idea where he stands.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Ankle hurt his progress/learning curve as a rookie. This year, without MC/TC, he may fall behind even more in his 2nd year.

At this point, I think circumstances have kind of conspired against him. He wasn't out of the box ready, but has tools. Tools that really can translate from an interior rush perspective, so I'm glad he's put on weight. I always felt like he was more valuable to take a Geno Atkins route and play bigger on the interior than out on the edge.

If there are games, I just hope he's not a healthy scratch this year. The loss of Jefferson without a replacement opens up opportunity for him. But at this stage, I'm going to reserve judgment until year three.