Loaded Tightend position looks promising ......

Jville

Reaction score
With an expanded roster, there is an invitation for 4 tight ends plus young Colby Parkinson beginning the season on the Non-Football injury list. The strength of depth at tight end is going to be fun to watch.

Seahawks Position Preview: Tight Ends >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seahawks-position-preview-tight-ends[/urltargetblank]

Jacob Hollister, the Seahawks Forgotten Weapon >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/jacob-hollister-the-seahawks-forgotten-weapon[/urltargetblank]

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
With that many TEs, i'm not sure I would consider the position as a strength. Dissly needs to stay healthy no two ways about it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The FO has a pattern they follow when a position was considered by them to be a weakness the previous season and that is they load up the position for a competition to strengthen it.

Dissly w/o a doubt is a a good TE but he has not been able to play a whole season yet, and has suffered two very serious injuries that can end careers, he can't be said to be dependable. Olsen is a good TE and will be helpful to RW and in teaching the young guys. Hollister is a potential developing talent as a TE but needs to learn how to block better. Willson is a journeyman and good roster depth player but we have seen all he can do. With the foot injury to Parkinson we won't see him until later in the season as I suspect he'll go on PUP to allow him to heal up. Sullivan is a developmental prospect with exceptional size and long arms at present he's raw and will likely be a PS protected player most of the season. I see Sullivan as hybrid player and the team thinks him to be more of a WR than a TE as he was labelled by the team as a WR when he was drafted. I really know nothing about Mabry but with the other guys ahead of him his best shot likely will be as a PS player for now.

I think the position will be stronger by the end of the year than it was last season and the team may be able to field two TE schemes with players that need to be respected in more situations than last year. The position should be improved as far as output this season and we may see TEs being used more, which will help Wilson and the running game.

For sure an interesting position group!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's how they always do things.. throw a bunch of noodles on the wall see which ones stick.. they did it when PC first got here.. that big roster churn.. did it with the DL .. back then.. and they are still doing it. Just a numbers game.

flv

Reaction score
It's still a 53-man roster at the end of preseason. Not a lot of room for passengers.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
flv":2d1b3r36 said:
It's still a 53-man roster at the end of preseason. Not a lot of room for passengers.
It's shaping up to be a little different this year as posted and described and linked here >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162869&start=250#p2437827[/urltargetblank]

xray

Reaction score
anticipation for goodbyes

flv

Reaction score
Jville":2jscpbh1 said:
flv":2jscpbh1 said:
It's shaping up to be a little different this year as posted and described and linked here >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162869&start=250#p2437827[/urltargetblank]
Thank you for the link. I'm not disputing it or saying the Seahawks can't/won't keep 4 TEs on the active roster. :2thumbs:

What i'm getting at is the size of the initial active roster hasn't changed from 53. Thus 80-man roster players will have to be cut and be subject to waivers/FA status before they can be added to the PS. This year with 48 players being active on game day, (compared to the 46 in previous years), means there will be extra pressure to put players who will perform on the active roster rather than developmental projects. I expect to see weaker teams being more active in their recruitment of young players who are cut by their initial team before those players sign PS terms. PS pay is different under the new CBA. Teams can no longer pay PS players the same amount they would earn as rookies on the active roster. That foible allowed teams to stockpile additional rookie talents, (EG Rams 5th round pick LT Battle in 2015). Some players may refuse to sign PS terms if they are going to be on low pay and are prevented from signing elsewhere.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The 53 man roster stays the same but with significantly different rules about the PS and the ability to protect 4 players on the 16 man PS. It is certainly the case the team will need to cut from 80 to 53 and many young players will be subject of waiver claims. With each team being faced with the same coundrum and an inability to easily medically check the young players claimed those claims may in the present world be reduced this season. However, the effective roster size is really 57 (after the cuts have been made) because of the rules changes. As well with the ability to recall as many players from IR as you wish the roster size is expanded, and we will undoubtedly see the team creatively use these rules changes to keep edge of the roster prospects around.

These roster rules changes are a good thing for younger players and the ability to keep 6 veterans of any experience level on the PS ensures the team has capable backup level player in reserve at key positions.

Both Parkinson and Sullivan will be kept around i 'd bet. Neither may make the final final 53 man roster to begin with but they'll both be protected as TEs are an in demand position and WRs are more plentiful. Parkinson will likely miss the the first six games being placed on PUP and Sullivan will be coached up to be a complete TE instead of a big WR.

In terms of your theory that players will refuse to sign PS terms, my belief is a job is a job and the PS pay while not the same as an active roster player is still better than most jobs and the prospect of playing is higher than if you were sitting at home.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1ac6jzcc said:
Hollister gets cut? Isn't there a cap savings if that happens?

Possibly ........ But, Hollister is the 3rd most productive incumbent receiver coming out 2019. So ...... I would think they would want to be very certain about any possible alternative.

The competition is gonna be great!