The irrelevance of Flynn's starts

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I feel this topic needs to be addressed. It is talked about at great length. I listen to Softy and get annoyed with the whole. If RW doesn't play well, PC will have a lot of explaining to do considering he's got a guy in his last game who threw for 400+ yards, and 5+ TD's. Blah blah blah. He talks as if Flynn is a proven commodity. The problem is this logic is irrational.

Firstly, where talking about 2 (NE- 2010, DET-2011) starts and roughly 1/2 of a football game (DET-2010). 2.5 games is hardly a big enough sample size to draw any sort of relevant conclusions. Here's what we know:
Over his career Matt Flynn has the following stats:
1,015 yards, 62.1%-comp %, 7.7 yards/ Att. For a 92.8 QB Rating with 9 TD's, 5 Picks. Add 19 yards rush, 1TD, 3- fum/2 lost. Sounds pretty good right. unfortunately in those 2.5 games ( I count the Lion's game because he took over before halftime and the score was 0-0) Matt Flynn is 1-2.

The reason I say his past game experience is irrelevant is A) Past success doesn't imply future results. B) Those 3 games are over a year apart and he's with a new team in a new scheme. Different situations entirely. It's one thing to prepare as a backup, it's quite another when your expected to "be the guy." Flynn has never had that kind of expectations/pressure since joining the league.

To address Item A) Let's look at a few recent QB's -- A) Matt Stafford- Last year he threw for 5000+ yards, 40+ TD's, to just 16 INT's. with a 97.2 rating. Sensational season, So one would assume he'd just pick up where he left off right? However this year he's thrown 5 TD's, 6 Picks, and has a paltry 78.4 QB Rating. His YPA has dropped an entire yard. So what's the problem with Stafford? If we apply the "Flynn Logic" than he should have double the TD passes and more wins, right?

Example 2- Josh Freeman in his 2nd year (2010) throws for 3400+ yards, 25 TD's, 6 INt's with a 95 rating leading his team to 10 wins that year. Only for 2011 he throws for 16 TD's, 22-picks and his rating nose dives to 74.6.

The point is simple. Things change, situations are different every year even with the same teams and personel.
If FLynn's 2 performances were really indicative of his average play than there is NO WAY he doesn't win the starting job, it's that simple. The fact that he lost the job to rookie suggest that those games were statistical outliers.

I firmly beleive that PC made his decision based on the most relevant information that he had. That being practice film from OTA's/Training camp as well as the preseason. I think it came down to RW just outplayed Flynn. Some here beleive "we don't know what we have in Flynn." I have a feeling the coaching staff has a pretty good idea what they have him. Some also beleive that if FLynn was the starter that we'd have more wins. Possible, But I tend to beleive we'd be exactly where we are, we might have won the Rams/ Cardinals, but we might have lost 1 of the games we won. We'll never know.

What say you?

Diclaimer, I'm a WIlson fan, however if Flynn were starting I'd be all over it as well. My main concention is that we've got great coaches. They have more information than any of us do. I beleive they made their decision with only that evidence in mind- I don't believe salary entered into the equation at all. It Heaven forbid, RW get's hurt I will root for Flynn to do well. I like our QB situation, obviously we'll have some growing pains but I expect a strong 2nd half of the season, for whomever starts at QB.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
7 nfl starts, 42 college starts for Wilson in 5 years
2 nfl starts, 14 college starts for Flynn in 9 years

Only starting 16 games in 9 years is a HUGE red flag.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
This goes back to one of my earlier points; I will support Russell Wilson, Matt Flynn or even bringing Brett Farve out of retirement. I will support any decision this team makes, and defend it to the day that I die.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He won a natty, some felt he could have won 2. Not bad over a 14 game span.

I don't want to get into another Flynn /Wilson debate, but I find it incredible you anti-Flynn guys refuse to credit him for time spent as #2 in GB. Do you seriously think that was just wasted time? I'm not being the least bit sarcastic in asking this.

Look at the QB history of Green Bay...now look at the QB history of our Hawks. VERY few ex-Hawk QBs would have qualified to carry a clipboard in GB. Except for two...Ex-GB clipboard carrier Matt Hasselbeck, who soon after, became the best QB in the history of this franchise (w/o question) and the jury is still out on the second, yet many of you have already decided he's shite.

I've been asked numerous times: "Do you think you know QBs better than Pete"?

No, I sure don't...but anyone, and everyone, over the past 50 years in Green Bay's FO sure does. At least one of them liked what they saw in Matt Flynn.

endzorn

Reaction score
I think we should cut Flynn. I've read enough Flynn dogging around here to convince me he cannot handle the duties taking any snaps as an NFL QB.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Wow, this is why I don't read the main forum after losses. Another thread bashing Flynn using the same arguments that was made to rip Flynn two months ago. I do not know how anyone here can continually debate this issue. This isn't just beating a dead horse, the horse has fully decomposed and the bones have turned to dust at this point.

I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of posters I used to respect regarding this Flynn/Wilson crap. I'll check in next week after the Hawks beat the everloving hell out of the Lions.

edogg23

Reaction score
Theres nothing left to argue about in this debate. This video is a joke about the debate, not an attack on anyone.
[youtube]WtNHuqHWefU[/youtube]

OP
OP
J

jlwaters1

Reaction score
seahawk2k":25nrar97 said:
Wow, this is why I don't read the main forum after losses. Another thread bashing Flynn using the same arguments that was made to rip Flynn two months ago. I do not know how anyone here can continually debate this issue. This isn't just beating a dead horse, the horse has fully decomposed and the bones have turned to dust at this point.

I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of posters I used to respect regarding this Flynn/Wilson crap. I'll check in next week after the Hawks beat the everloving hell out of the Lions.

I'm not Flynn bashing. I'm merely stating why I don't beleive the argument of his 2.5 games as evidence that he's a proven comodity. That's all. In Pete I trust and if he says Wilson is the best, than I beleive him. If he said Flynn was the guy, I'd be fully supporting him. What I can't stand is the continual- "We need to see what Flynn has argument." Why do we need to see him play?

OP
OP
J

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkWow":17fmzigy said:

I don't want to get into another Flynn /Wilson debate, but I find it incredible you anti-Flynn guys refuse to credit him for time spent as #2 in GB. Do you seriously think that was just wasted time? I'm not being the least bit sarcastic in asking this.

Look at the QB history of Green Bay...now look at the QB history of our Hawks. VERY few ex-Hawk QBs would have qualified to carry a clipboard in GB. Except for two...Ex-GB clipboard carrier Matt Hasselbeck, who soon after, became the best QB in the history of this franchise (w/o question) and the jury is still out on the second, yet many of you have already decided he's shite.

No, I sure don't...but anyone, and everyone, over the past 50 years in Green Bay's FO sure does. At least one of them liked what they saw in Matt Flynn.

I"m not anti-Flynn. :D I don't think 1 needs to chose sides. I'm pro-Wilson and Flynn. But I just don't think the above argument holds alot of value.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He is a proven solid backup. Is he better the Wilson? I watched him in the preseason along with everyone else and thought he looked pretty good. I trust the coaches to start the best player.

Rainger

Reaction score
KitsapHawk":201f3x4p said:
This goes back to one of my earlier points; I will support Russell Wilson, Matt Flynn or even bringing Brett Farve out of retirement. I will support any decision this team makes, and defend it to the day that I die.
:13: :13: :13: :13: :13: :13:

Rainger

Reaction score
HawkWow":3p12shlb said:

No they didnt or they would have started him, or resigned him or franchised him or some thing if they thought he was too SPECIAL to let go. The fact is they let him go . WHY? Cause he is a backup. When will you flynnites get this through your heads he doesnt even hold a GB record any more. Now for the record I am happy he is OUR backup but that is wehre he belongs.

drdiags

Reaction score
I see no need to minimize Flynn's accomplishments. He was able to garner a pretty decent contract for his skillset. If his backers want to push the fact of his prior experiences as a reason why he should be starting, that is just their opinion. Fans chose to support their team in which ever way makes sense to them. I rather just watch the game and pull for my guys to make plays. Others enjoy the strategy. Others like to second guess the team's moves.

Some just like pushing their point more often and with a great deal of energy.

My opinion. Flynn would have been fine. How many games he would have won, don't have a clue. I will support him until he leaves the team. Wilson is the choice of the team and most likely will be no matter what the fans, talking heads or other teams say. They will cut bait though if he isn't cutting it. But that may not be until next year at the earliest.

There are many national folks who are right there with the local Flynn to start faction. Wilson is struggling in some phases of the game and the same thought is expressed nationally, which is "The Seahawks have a really good team but the passing game is holding them back".

I hope Pete proves to be correct in his choice since it would make the team better in the long haul if they have chosen the right path.

Need to remove any threats of this regime being replaced, if they are on the right path.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":19sgg6tu said:

They also liked what they saw in Brian Brohm, Lynn Dickey, and Aaron Brooks. Let's not pretend that GB only churns out excellent QBs who succeed both in GB and elsewhere.

Would you like to know what I want all of you folks who claim that sitting in GB's system magically makes you ready to be a starter to do? Go look at Matt Hasselbeck's 2001 stats. It was his first year in Seattle, and he was playing in a far more pass-happy offense than we've got now. Go look at them.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ssMa00.htm

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3qo4wc2n said:
HawkWow":3qo4wc2n said:

They also liked what they saw in Brian Brohm, Lynn Dickey, and Aaron Brooks. Let's not pretend that GB only churns out excellent QBs who succeed both in GB and elsewhere.

Would you like to know what I want all of you folks who claim that sitting in GB's system magically makes you ready to be a starter to do? Go look at Matt Hasselbeck's 2001 stats. It was his first year in Seattle, and he was playing in a far more pass-happy offense than we've got now. Go look at them.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ssMa00.htm

So wait....are you saying you have to actually play to get better, you don't automatically throw for 5000 yards and 40 TDs off the GB bench, and you may not even be good if you come off that GB bench? :th2thumbs:

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I don't understand why people get so upset about the discussion. I am in full support of Wilson, and I believe him to be the clear choice. But why do we get upset that it's discussed? Opinions and posts like these are exactly what forums are for. I would be very bored to come on here and read the same, "Our defense is good" and "My thoughts on the game" threads. We need to listen and read, debate and discuss. That's what we do as fans. I've said to myself a couple times this year, "This should end the Flynn debate" but it never does. I am okay with that because it's an ever-evolving sport, and whomever is ahead of the curve in their decision may eek out that all too important victory. So Flynnites, have your way. I may not agree, but I'll listen and discuss. :)

Bipolar

Reaction score
well, this late in the season Russell Willson is already a lot more experienced playing for Seahawks than Flynn, so it only makes sense to roll with him.

Matt Flynn is a great QB and he proved his value in Green Bay. the only problem is that Packers recievers and O-Line are no Seahawks receivers and O-Line.
RW owns the locker room, so I see no reason why Flynn can claim any type of superiority besides being "a NFL veteran".

the MF vs RW debate was very appropriate for the first couple of games, but now it is null and void, unless RW pukes all over himself in the next games which I dont see happening.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I agree it is to late to change direction now. The O-line and receivers would have to go through another learning curve. Hell even Bevell would have to so I agree with rhe stick with Wilson crowd in that regard.

The only debate I take issue with is the folks who feel the need to discredit what Flynn has done when opportunities have been available. I think it is reasonable to assume Flynn wouldn't put up 480 yards and 6 TD's a game but it is equally unrealistic he would suck like some here want to force others to except.

I especially love the "get behind the players on your team" crowd while ignoring Flynn is on the team. Or the "he lost the job fair and square in the preseason" crowd that wants me to assume preseason play means more than real football.
I pull for Wilson as hard in every single game as anyone in here but that doesn't mean I believe that Flynn sucks. I believe Flynn is a good QB, if he had failed at any level in any way it would be easier to jump on board but what did he need to do beyond win a national championship while being named offensive player of the game and then put up 480 yards and 6 TD's in a real game. Did he need a 1000 yards and 10 TD's? What more could he have done?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2lz1nqsr said:
I agree it is to late to change direction now. The O-line and receivers would have to go through another learning curve. Hell even Bevell would have to so I agree with rhe stick with Wilson crowd in that regard.

The only debate I take issue with is the folks who feel the need to discredit what Flynn has done when opportunities have been available. I think it is reasonable to assume Flynn wouldn't put up 480 yards and 6 TD's a game but it is equally unrealistic he would suck like some here want to force others to except.

I especially love the "get behind the players on your team" crowd while ignoring Flynn is on the team. Or the "he lost the job fair and square in the preseason" crowd that wants me to assume preseason play means more than real football.
I pull for Wilson as hard in every single game as anyone in here but that doesn't mean I believe that Flynn sucks. I believe Flynn is a good QB, if he had failed at any level in any way it would be easier to jump on board but what did he need to do beyond win a national championship while being named offensive player of the game and then put up 480 yards and 6 TD's in a real game. Did he need a 1000 yards and 10 TD's? What more could he have done?

He could have beaten out a 3rd round rookie.

Seriously. It's not just preseason play. It's preseason, practice, etc. Flynn had every chance to put this competition away early on, but he failed to do so.

You downplay preseason games, but fail to acknowledge that while Flynn did put up video game numbers in a single game while playing with a SB-caliber offense, he couldn't impress when playing against vanilla defenses with OUR offense.

What Flynn did in Green Bay and at LSU meant just as much as his contract did when it came time to prove WHY he deserved to be the starter. Not one bit. Just like Wilson's draft status and success at Wisconsin and NC State meant nothing. It was what each of them did as soon as they put pen to paper and became Seahawks. Those stats from prior seasons and college only earned these guys a shot. It guaranteed nothing afterwards.