YAC. Tired of taking heat over it.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm tired of taking heat over the whole YAC issue, and my general problem with it. This is a crosspost from the Camp day 5 response. Just giving it it's own thread here:

Yup. I've had a problem with YAC and primarily Tyler - but the receivers in general.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/receiving?sort=recyac

For those that think it's a useless statistic, or that I just piss on Tyler for laughs. Go to the link. Now that I actually have that grid, I might slice and dice it in Excel - but here's a 2 second analysis.

What it tells me is that Tyler has YAC of 26% of total yards (1033 Total). Let's float in the middle of the grid and compare. I'll pick Dallas Goedert as an example. He's middle of the pac for YAC. He's got 60% YAC of total yards. He's the middle. So, using his number, Tyler should have, and let's take 50% as a number for a target - approximately 516 YAC. He's got 274. So, he's leaving 242 yards in YAC on the 'table' making business decisions. So, 242/1033 is 23% of his YAC job that he's 'not doing'.

If I had an employee (when I did) - if they said to me - can I just show up and do 75% of my job, and would that be cool with you? 'Cause I gotta stay fresh for my other future job? Well, I'd fire them.

They track YAC for performance across players. I'm quite sure that some performance bonuses are keyed around this number also - or for sure total yards.

So, no, I'm not cool with it. Neither are 2 or 3 articles that I've posted on the matter. Neither is Murph from Top Billin' - irrespective of what you think of him.

If you're telling me that between DK (no analysis done) and Tyler that the sewing circle mentality isn't affecting game results with another 500-700 yards between them potentially YAC - they you're delusional. That might have been the difference in tilting 2-4 games into the win column. Just on a 100yd/touchdown basis - that's 5-7 TD's that aren't on the board - the actual calculation would be much more difficult.

Anyhow - I'd say rant off - but don't let a little bit of factual analysis burn too much.

And as a final clarification - I do not hate Tyler. I wish he would do his ENTIRE job. See JSN get immediate Vert after the catch on the camp videos? I want THAT.

And, as a final 'comment' - I'd say that the YAC allergy is a 'mindset'. It's affected the receiving room. It spreads. I'd like to see expectations set higher, both from a coaching perspective, and a fan perspective. NOBODY else gets a pass on unrealized potential. Why this?
I don't say this lightly but, f*** off.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Here’s a thought.

Do we want our receivers concentrating on catching the ball, or running after the catch?

I suspect that many “dropped balls” are the result of not focusing on the catch and being concerned with the next move or “YAC”.

Again, catch the ball and move the sticks.

Wins will follow, and in terms of “stats” there’s none more important than “W” vs “L”

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think when you get down to semantics, and start choosing 'what part of the job isn't getting done' - and how acceptable that is - well I think we're splitting hairs.

I know that Tyler's job is: run routes. catch ball. run after catching ball. I've said as much before - and my problem is that he's only doing 2 of those things effectively.

remember 'always compete'? Well we've got a veteran who doesn't necessarily think he has to. "fight for every blade of grass". Isn't that what football is about?
Hmm, I don't know, maybe you could ask Recardo Lockette, Chris Carson, Cliff Avril, or Kam Chancellor what playing with abandon in the NFL can do for your longevity.

Last edited:

FLSeahawk

Reaction score
They were a few times were I thought Tyler could’ve gotten a few more yards before going down and was frustrated last season but a few yards here and there compared to missing him for 4-6 games a season is a trade I’d take everyday.

Also his stats aren’t that bad using your metric. I mean DK had less YAC than Tyler and I don’t think anyone on here is trying to say that DK is afraid of contact. And before you say that it’s a team wide issue we have just here, Tyreek Hill had a 28% YAC/Total yards ratio compared to Tyler’s 26%, and Stefon Diggs was at 29%. So that’s 2 out of the top 5 receivers in yards with comparable percentages. It’s not as big of an issue as you’re suggesting.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is the stance here that we aren't using Tyler in ways that get enough YAC? Or that Tyler doesn't get YAC from plays that should generate more of it?

It feels like one of the guys that is producing pretty effectively in his role, given the circumstances, has always been Tyler. So asking him to be more productive is an interesting take.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Is the stance here that we aren't using Tyler in ways that get enough YAC? Or that Tyler doesn't get YAC from plays that should generate more of it?

It feels like one of the guys that is producing pretty effectively in his role, given the circumstances, has always been Tyler. So asking him to be more productive is an interesting take.
Tyler is the closest player to a "Steve Largent type" on the current Seahawk team. He's surehanded and clutch. For someone who doesn't get "YAC", he does make a lot of big plays (tons of deep ball catches for TDs).

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Sometimes, I just hate this place & this fanbase.

I get harping on Tyler in a game day thread in the heat of the battle because he didn't turn upfield & expose himself to 3 oncoming killers converging from 3 different directions & dive headfirst stretching the ball forward to gain that extra yard, but to have 7 months to think about it & come up with that ridiculous OP full of absolute BS is astonishing even for this place.

IMO he went down too early a grand total of 1 time last year & that happened because he messed up & admitted he messed up thinking that was the 1st down marker when it was 5 yards further. I can forgive that since I make more than 1 mistake yearly @ my job so..........

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sometimes, I just hate this place & this fanbase.

I get harping on Tyler in a game day thread in the heat of the battle because he didn't turn upfield & expose himself to 3 oncoming killers converging from 3 different directions & dive headfirst stretching the ball forward to gain that extra yard, but to have 7 months to think about it & come up with that ridiculous OP full of absolute BS is astonishing even for this place.

IMO he went down too early a grand total of 1 time last year & that happened because he messed up & admitted he messed up thinking that was the 1st down marker when it was 5 yards further. I can forgive that since I make more than 1 mistake yearly @ my job so..........
It is one dude. everybody else is defending Lockett. What I hate is someobdy blaming a fanbase because of one person.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wasn't ranting - it was mostly comprehensible ;)

I've seen several here, including in this thread that say that YAC doesn't matter.

No problem - You know what? I'll shut the hell up about it now.

I get it - I seem to be the outlier. But it was still worth mentioning 5 or 6 times ;)

It's all good man, just didn't need the "OMG NO ONE THINKS THIS IS IMPORTANT!" preface to your otherwise interesting discussion on YAC.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the original post clearly demonstrates how focusing on a singular statistic, while ignoring a considerable basket of accompanying receiver statistics, can result in a highly skewed view and resulting narrative. We've seen this repetitively, many times before, with message board narratives. Unfortunately, it is an all too common error of fixation. One that we will see again and again. It's likely we have all made that error at one time or another.

The expression "can't see the forest for the trees" metaphor comes to mind.

BASF

Reaction score
The catch at the 11:33 mark of the fourth quarter is what started this whole thing. Lockett gives himself up when the defender that was coming at him essentially stopped.

The defender made a business decision not to light up Lockett and Lockett rewarded him with dropping like a rock. When Diggs did the whole, go ahead and do what you want, our opponent turned up field and scored. Tyler decided to lay down. For some of us, that was him not giving his all. I understand it, and have defended it in the past. I only quibble with Lockett doing it on three plays this season. Others think it is indicative of his losing his competitive instinct.

sutz

Reaction score
From what I've read, the only "heat" being applied here is because you continue to rag on one of the favorite players on the team. Not surprising to me. :LOL:

Torc

Reaction score
I'm one of those who has criticized him.

No, I don't want him hurt.
Yes, I want him on the field as much as humanly possible.
Yes, I understand that he's an amazing receiver who catches the ball in positions most receivers would not be able to do. He blows me away weekly with his ability to get open and to make tough catches.
Yes, the best ability is availability.

He absolutely makes the Seahawks better when he is on the field.

There's not just two answers here - drop to the ground or run into the waiting arms of defenders trying to take his head off.

I figure every time he catches the ball he has 3 choices: fall where he's standing, run straight ahead and get smacked for sure, or try to avoid the oncoming tacklers. You know, like he used to do. I don't want him to take #2. He seems to take #1 in EVERY situation no matter the down and distance. I'd like to see him at least sometimes take option #3. What bugs me is that he never even seems to try, even when if he made one guy miss he'd get a first down before getting tackled. Getting hit for the sake of a single yard or two that doesn't get a score or a first down is NOT what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the situations where I think he could make a meaningful play and he chooses not to try. Because I think he's amazing enough to make those plays....

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The catch at the 11:33 mark of the fourth quarter is what started this whole thing. Lockett gives himself up when the defender that was coming at him essentially stopped.

The defender made a business decision not to light up Lockett and Lockett rewarded him with dropping like a rock. When Diggs did the whole, go ahead and do what you want, our opponent turned up field and scored. Tyler decided to lay down. For some of us, that was him not giving his all. I understand it, and have defended it in the past. I only quibble with Lockett doing it on three plays this season. Others think it is indicative of his losing his competitive instinct.

And did you ever think that just MAYBE Lockett wasn't physically playing at 100%?????Giving his all?????..I think there's more to the story of WHY he pulled up, >>>It's called "The Benefit of The Doubt" (which the man deserves every bit of), I for one BELIEVE that he had his MULTI-MILLION-DOLLAR reasons for doing what he did on those particular plays, he's earned the respect and benifit of the doubt that some of y'all just don't want to give him...Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
There's no better wideout waiting to take his roster spot. Until there is, he gets to play however he wants.

How lucky are we that TLs only recognizable negative is that he gives up additional yards after the first down marker? He's not Harvin-crazy, Tate-donut-thief, in street fights after 2:30am, carrying weapons through airports.... I'll choose to dwell on all of Lockett's exemplary characteristics and feel lucky there's, literally, only one criticism that only creeps up occasionally.

Dwelling on Lockett's minor, occasional flaw is like dwelling on Sophia Vergara's hangnail. C'mon...

Torc

Reaction score
There's no better wideout waiting to take his roster spot. Until there is, he gets to play however he wants.

How lucky are we that TLs only recognizable negative is that he gives up additional yards after the first down marker? He's not Harvin-crazy, Tate-donut-thief, in street fights after 2:30am, carrying weapons through airports.... I'll choose to dwell on all of Lockett's exemplary characteristics and feel lucky there's, literally, only one criticism that only creeps up occasionally.

Dwelling on Lockett's minor, occasional flaw is like dwelling on Sophia Vergara's hangnail. C'mon...
All true.

I don't dwell on this, but I don't pretend it doesn't exist either.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
In your original post you said you've been taking heat about it. Who has been giving you heat?
He was prefacing his expectations of how he knew the fan base at large would react to his post...not an individual. I would desire to see his source for stating Tyler said YAC doesn't matter...and what his high school coach told him...it would provide something meaningful to respond to.