Clayton names 3 Seahawks in his first team all-pro list

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Not bad. Like seeing Unger get recognition. Linemen don't usually get recognition unless they're repeat Super Bowl participants.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I may be alone in this. I don't see it from ET, yet. But the range, the range. I know, I know.

Still, he hasn't shown the same knack for game-changing plays that a Polamalu or Ed Reed or Richard Sherman has.

Elite company to compare him to, I know. Because I believe he is capable and will get there-I just haven't seen it yet and believe his best football is still ahead of him.

bellingerga

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2n2n5xm7 said:
I may be alone in this. I don't see it from ET, yet. But the range, the range. I know, I know.

Still, he hasn't shown the same knack for game-changing plays that a Polamalu or Ed Reed or Richard Sherman has.

Elite company to compare him to, I know. Because I believe he is capable and will get there-I just haven't seen it yet and believe his best football is still ahead of him.

I understand why you and some others feel that way. He's not making alot of flashy plays anymore minus that wicked weaving TD runback he had a couple games ago but...

You rarely hear his name mentioned during a game, which means he's on task most of the time. Couple that with teams trying their best to keep the ball away from him. I think he is as good as all the hype suggests.

and yeah....... the range lol. no one else has range like he does.

razor150

Reaction score
Thomas is what makes our defensive scheme work and allows Sherman and Browner to be aggressive because they don't have to worry about over the top.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
razor150":nc2vuuy3 said:
Thomas is what makes our defensive scheme work and allows Sherman and Browner to be aggressive because they don't have to worry about over the top.

I hear that said a lot and it may be true, but I don't just accept it as true because everybody repeats it. I just don't know-and I'm not dissing the guy. I called that pick going into that draft. Love the kid! I just expect a few more game-changers and game winners from him. Like he had at home vs San Diego a few years ago. Week 3 or 4, I think.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3h7dbg86 said:

I can see where you would have this perspective. Earl Thomas's contributions are not readily visible to the untrained eye.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":250fy4l2 said:

Reed and Polamalu make more game changing plays for better or worse. They get to free lance with their teams and it causes some big plays, but also gives up some big plays up. You take the good with the bad with those guys. Thomas is just steady. Polamalu last week cost them the game by free lancing and leaving his space open. You don't see that often with Thomas, but you don't see the big plays as often either.

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
bestfightstory":4opnf781 said:
razor150":4opnf781 said:

I hear that said a lot and it may be true, but I don't just accept it as true because everybody repeats it. I just don't know-and I'm not dissing the guy. I called that pick going into that draft. Love the kid! I just expect a few more game-changers and game winners from him. Like he had at home vs San Diego a few years ago. Week 3 or 4, I think.

But then that was when he first came to the league so teams didn't know what to fully expect? Now he gets a few less opportunities & even a few less when Sherman is playing the way he is, so I would assume it will be the same for Sherman next season no?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hedgehawk":2yt6nvwo said:
bestfightstory":2yt6nvwo said:

Reed and Polamalu make more game changing plays for better or worse. They get to free lance with their teams and it causes some big plays, but also gives up some big plays up. You take the good with the bad with those guys. Thomas is just steady. Polamalu last week cost them the game by free lancing and leaving his space open. You don't see that often with Thomas, but you don't see the big plays as often either.

I dont care what Polamalu did last week-Polamalu has tailed off and is nowhere near the player he once was. Reed less so but still. The Polamalu and Reed I was referring to and comparing ET to were the ones in their prime. Ed Reed is without question one of the best safeties who has ever played this sport.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3895r3u1 said:
razor150":3895r3u1 said:

I think that's more cause it's not his job. He is supposed to cover everything deep, and just remove the need to throw deep completely. He isn't doing his job if QB's go deep at him, even if he picks a few of those off. Ed Reed and Polamalu are told to make plays, while Earl is told to prevent the deep passes. Both aspects are valuable, one is just less noticeable.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I'm just saying I doubt you see those same type plays from Thomas because he doesn't play like those guys. I agree Reed is amazing, just different styles between the 3 of them.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Well. I stand by my observations-which include the belief that his best years are still ahead of him. He even dropped 3(?) fairly routine INTs this year which indicates he is in position to make more plays.

Anyway, thanks to those who made this a discussion without twisting and turning my thoughts into some kind of Earl-hating campaign.

And congrats, ET. Glad you're a Seahawk!

Subzero717

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2bzlclll said:
Well. I stand by my observations-which include the belief that his best years are still ahead of him. He even dropped 3(?) fairly routine INTs this year which indicates he is in position to make more plays.

Anyway, thanks to those who made this a discussion without twisting and turning my thoughts into some kind of Earl-hating campaign.

I know what you are saying but choose to trust those that know more than I. I also choose to take take the approach that if he isn't popping up noticeably as a safety it is probably a good thing.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1z6v2dw6 said:
bestfightstory":1z6v2dw6 said:

I know what you are saying but choose to trust those that know more than I.

So you agree with me, then, cool.