After 2 games: #3 in offense, #30 in defense

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Do you realize if we hold the Panthers in check in week 3 these numbers can change drastically? It’s 2 ****** games against 2 really good offenses and a defense that is brand new together for the most part. Screw the yards if you had 4 takeaways. It’s a mid risk-high reward defense and when they finally gel I bet we’ll see a top 10 D by week 18. I’ll bet my left nut 🌰 on it
Coaching might have something to do with it too, Sean Desai left, and Sean ran the secondary last season. Sean's replacement Roy Anderson might be implementing something new?

Rainger

Reaction score
After two games, this is PFF's opinion on our team:
  1. Our offense is #3 in the league at 74.4. Only Miami (87.8) and the Lions (78.7) were better. Our passing's #11 at 72.8, rushing's #21 at 62.7.

2. Our defense is #30 in the league at 51.7. Only Chargers (50) and Rams (49.5) were worse. Our run defense' #11 at 66.8

3. Our special team is #5 at 80.0

4. We sucked at coverage (42.2), tackle (50.8) and pass rush (58.1) excelled at pass blocking (74.4)
Overall, we are #23 at 66.1 In short, PFF opined that we have top 3 offense, and bottom 3 defense. Unless our defense could improve to middle of the pack, we ain't going anywhere.
If you put all your eggs in the PFF basket sorry I don't choose to. Some wankers playing with far to early statistics.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
If you want your mind blown, we have the 22nd-ranked offense and the 14th-ranked defense, according to DAVE (essentially DVOA with preseason projections factored in). In normal DVOA, we have the 10th-ranked offense and 22nd-ranked defense.

The Panthers will be an intriguing barometer for the defense. Because, unlike the Rams and Lions, they don't have a top-10 offense. Their offense is ranked 29th.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Coaching might have something to do with it too, Sean Desai left, and Sean ran the secondary last season. Sean's replacement Roy Anderson might be implementing something new?
Karl Scott is still there and he is a huge part of it.

I think it is more Woolen and Spoon being out pretty much all training camp, Love and Diggs not playing much pre season and Jackson nose diving has caused some communication issues. Today's secondaries need cohesion like OLines do. They will begin to gel quickly.

themunn

Reaction score
In addition to comments already made, Sundays defense was missing Jamal Adams, Boye Mafe, Devin Bush and Mike Morris, as well as Riq Woolen for half a game -all of whom I think are value add.

Still lots of room for improvement

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If you put all your eggs in the PFF basket sorry I don't choose to. Some wankers playing with far to early statistics.

That's the thing, though. It's not really statistics. Statistics can be adjusted for opponent quality (like FootballOutsiders did and I assume Aaron Schatz will do wherever he ends up), but PFF's black-box and completely subjective "here's-how-much-we-like-these-teams-or-players" grades can't, at least not in a systematic and consistent way.

PFF (pronounced "pffffff!") is better than nothing, but at best as subjective support for actual serious statistical analysis. Taken alone, PFF grades are not really much more than within-PFF popularity contests.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It would be nice to see the D pin their ears back and get after Bryce Young.

If not now, when?
Getting pressure on Young will be paramount this week. Basically, we pressure, we win.

From ESPN:

"The top pick of the draft has been solid when not pressured, but under pressure, he has struggled badly. He was 4-for-9 passing for 20 yards with four sacks when pressured in Monday night's loss to New Orleans after going 2-for-10 with a sack in the Week 1 loss to Atlanta."

CactusJack

Reaction score
F6YjLncW8AA2QU0

1. Why is our Safety play so bad?

2. Taylor isn't good enough. He remains a liability against the run. Hopefully Mafe locks down that spot opposite Chenna.

Last edited: