After 2 games: #3 in offense, #30 in defense

toffee

Reaction score
After two games, this is PFF's opinion on our team:
  1. Our offense is #3 in the league at 74.4. Only Miami (87.8) and the Lions (78.7) were better. Our passing's #11 at 72.8, rushing's #21 at 62.7.

2. Our defense is #30 in the league at 51.7. Only Chargers (50) and Rams (49.5) were worse. Our run defense' #11 at 66.8

3. Our special team is #5 at 80.0

4. We sucked at coverage (42.2), tackle (50.8) and pass rush (58.1) excelled at pass blocking (74.4)
Overall, we are #23 at 66.1 In short, PFF opined that we have top 3 offense, and bottom 3 defense. Unless our defense could improve to middle of the pack, we ain't going anywhere.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Run defense is #3 in the league. They were just talking about it on 710 ESPN. It's a start.

Apparently, our run defense is ok if not decent. Unexpectedly, coverage is our problemed child along with tackling. Defense backfield problem due to the leaving of Sean Desai? But then under Sean Desai, Philly's overall defense dropped to #9 (74.2) from #3 in 2022 (84.0).

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Apparently, our run defense is ok if not decent. Unexpectedly, coverage is our problemed child along with tackling. Defense backfield problem due to the leaving of Sean Desai? But then under Sean Desai, Philly's overall defense dropped to #9 (74.2) from #3 in 2022 (84.0).
Yeah, guys being wide open has been an issue for years. Maddening to say the least.

chrispy

Reaction score
DBs will be changing week-to-week for a while. Spoon was out to begin with. Riq might have some lingering issues. JAdams will be in some. It's just going to evolve for a while. That said, the talent is there. They'll be good once they have a consistent cast for a few games.

seabowl

Reaction score
Yeah, guys being wide open has been an issue for years. Maddening to say the least.
Groundhog Day with this for like five years now. Not getting to the quarterback has also been a nightmare for us, and has aided in this pass D being so poor

kidhawk

Reaction score
Stats are crazy. One stat says 3rd in run defense while another says 13th while both stats are true, it's hard to know what to make of the rankings.

Looking a little deeper, we may have the 3rd lowest yards per carry, but we also have the 4th most rushes against our defense, so the total has added up to make us 13th in total rushing defense. The problem here is that although they aren't doing a lot of yards at a time, they are getting way too many first downs which leads to more and more actual carries. We need to get off the field quicker on defense if we want to balance these numbers out.

LTH

Reaction score
After two games, this is PFF's opinion on our team:
  1. Our offense is #3 in the league at 74.4. Only Miami (87.8) and the Lions (78.7) were better. Our passing's #11 at 72.8, rushing's #21 at 62.7.

2. Our defense is #30 in the league at 51.7. Only Chargers (50) and Rams (49.5) were worse. Our run defense' #11 at 66.8

3. Our special team is #5 at 80.0

4. We sucked at coverage (42.2), tackle (50.8) and pass rush (58.1) excelled at pass blocking (74.4)
Overall, we are #23 at 66.1 In short, PFF opined that we have top 3 offense, and bottom 3 defense. Unless our defense could improve to middle of the pack, we ain't going anywhere.
This is just my opinion. I think the Hawks have the players to optimize the efficiency of their D I just don't think they are all on the field at the same time. I think when Jamal comes back it's going to open up the pass rush because opposing teams have to account for him. That's going to give the other guys one on one match ups in which they don't have to work against double teams all the time. That and blitzing Bobby and Brooks.. I think they need to do more of that. Imo.

LTH

Scout

Reaction score
Once the pass rush gets home to seal third downs the pass defense will improve. Shutting down the run is only one part of the equation on early downs while on third downs to seal the deal you need pressures and sacks. A sack will reduce the chance a drive succeeds for an offense substantially. And as a result the number of rushing attempts against the Hawks will go down.

The Hawks currently sit at the bottom with 2 sacks tied with the Browns (who haven't played yet their 2nd game) Only the Bears, Lions (1) and Giants (0) are worse.

CPHawk

Reaction score
How can we be ahead of the rams on D? They held us to 12 yards in a half.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Diggs and Love are two of the worst graded safeties so far this year, specifically in coverage. Coby is also near the bottom. They really, really need to play better.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you're going by PFF grades then you should also know that two of their top rated players overall are Stafford and Goff. I have a feeling they are going to think more of our pass defense after we play Bryce Young and Daniel Jones, and that's one reason why you have to take these things with a grain of salt.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Do you realize if we hold the Panthers in check in week 3 these numbers can change drastically? It’s 2 ****** games against 2 really good offenses and a defense that is brand new together for the most part. Screw the yards if you had 4 takeaways. It’s a mid risk-high reward defense and when they finally gel I bet we’ll see a top 10 D by week 18. I’ll bet my left nut 🌰 on it

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yeah, a dominant game Sunday and Seattle could be top 10. Too small of a sample for a true reading.