There isn't a single starter on our team....

Matticus

Reaction score
That I would be upset with being our starter again next year. Don't get me wrong, we could definitely use some upgrades, but none that I would be so worried as to red flag a player.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
Matticus":1s3lqso2 said:
That I would be upset with being our starter again next year. Don't get me wrong, we could definitely use some upgrades, but none that I would be so worried as to red flag a player.

Trufant=Starting Slot guy?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Matticus":10lshwr4 said:

We're in good shape, that's for sure. As long as RW3 is at the helm I think we'll continue to be in good shape.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Assuming we don't have anything near a top 25 pick (not going to trade up):
For Trufant:
12. Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State, CB
29. Johnny Adams, Michigan State, CB

But let's be honest, it will be some 3rd round pick or a Canadian Football League pickup that will fill the position. Does anyone see Trufant around next year?

OP
OP
M

Matticus

Reaction score
I apologize, I didn't think about Tru. That could definitely be upgraded. I counted out our starting 11 on both sides of the ball, but I was counting out of the base 4-3 on defense.

Harperville

Reaction score
I'd like to pick up a stud, playmaking WR to be our #1, move Sidney to #2 and have Golden be the slot guy (could you imagine what Russell could do with a Calvin Johnson/Brandon Marshall type?). After that, it's best player available, particularly at O and D lines. Can never have enough talented bigs, and this team would be scary with a more consistent pass rush.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Giacommini
Both Guard positions (hopefully Carpenter will be healthy and be one of them)
Nickel CB (hopefully Thurmond will be healthy and be that guy)
Leroy Hill
Steven Hauscka.

All positions that could be pretty easily upgraded in my opinion. Although i'm not saying I dislike those guys cuz there's not a player on the roster that I dislike this year.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Matticus, I agree. Love our starters.

What about the ones that are leaving though?. Jason Jones is not getting a multi year contract so he is probably gone. Zach Miller unless he re-structures his contract, he is due 6.8M next year, that is too much money. Not a starter, but Matt Flynn at 5M plus is too much for a backup, where do we get a reliable quarterback next year? Leon Washington probably makes it next year, but probably not the next.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
JSeahawks":3w3ekdc5 said:
Giacommini
Leroy Hill
Steven Hauscka.

All positions that could be pretty easily upgraded in my opinion. Although i'm not saying I dislike those guys cuz there's not a player on the roster that I dislike this year.

Agree with all but Breno. I think if BG68 was so easy to replace they would've done so last off season. And I think Leroy and Tru's replacements are already on the roster, not that they won't bring in others as well. Would love a kicker with bigger leg.

Harperville

Reaction score
This is the first time in a long time that we don't have any glaring holes (besides IMO a #1 WR and a nasty LG). All of our players are young and getting better.

edit: Oh and a nasty DT to draw those double teams!

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
There are a few things I would like to change or improve upon.

First, Alan Branch. I like the guy and we've done great things with him since reclaiming him from the Arizona scrap heap, but he is a pretty one dimensional player. He's very stout against the run but doesn't provide much in the way of pass rush. Ideally, I would like to see him replaced with a top talent, someone who can play three downs, is stout against the run, and can shoot gaps or collapse the pocket during passing plays. Branch would still be a great backup, though.

Second, Marcus Trufant. Tru is not suited to playing in the slot. His entire career was spent lined up out wide where he does quite well in man coverage, but at this stage of the game he is the fifth or sixth best cornerback we have on the team and I would like to see the slot covered by some of the promising young blood, or WT3 if he ever manages to get his body right.

Third, I would look to improve things at the left guard position. That spot is well served by McQuistan, but he is a relatively unspectacular lineman at a spot where our scheme calls for a mauler. This is certainly not a position of great need, but we could certainly improve here, and it's tough to say if James Carpenter will ever be a long-term solution for us (though to be fair, football is full of unknowns, many of which are beyond coach and player ability to control).

Fourth, I would LOVE to see some better production from our wide receivers. I'm sure some of you reading this might be wondering "WTF, why?", after the pretty good seasons we are getting from Golden and Sidney, but the reality is that their production can be attributed more to the magic of RW's legs, which causes coverage breakdowns to occur when our guys are absolutely unable to get open. I'd like to see us get a real monster at this position, a guy who will fight for contested footballs and come down with them regularly in one-on-one situations. We don't have that right now, and haven't since Mike Williams' 2010 season. Sidney Rice is probably the most non-physical 6'4" receiver I have ever seen. His hands are good, but he just looks clumsy when he runs with the football, often falling to the turf untouched after making a catch. I like Sidney a lot, he is a good player, but we could use a physical monster who can break games open. Tate has the physicality and game breaking ability, but doesn't get open with RW in the pocket consistently enough, relying on circus antics from his QB to start breaking the coverage down. Could Sidney succeed in the slot? I can't say, but I would like to see someone better lining up opposite of Golden.

Fifth, I would like to see us draft an heir apparent to Leroy Hill. Leroy has been good for us but he is getting long in the tooth at a position which is generally better served by youth. Drafting his replacement (perhaps Morgan IS that replacement already, dude's been a baller for us but is undersized and has been nursing injuries) should necessitate a second, third, or fourth round pick, provided the value presents itself. Imagine this defense if it had a dynamic Clay Matthews type who is a threat to drop into coverage, stop the run, or rush the passer. Our defensive scheme doesn't seem to ask a lot of the OLBs, which appears to allow them to freelance and make plays a bit. A dynamic OLB could be a game breaker on defense.

These are the five things I would like to see changed, more or less in the order I see as most important. After these five things (a couple of them are even a bit nitpicky), it becomes hard to find areas of weakness as this team has so many very strong pieces to it.

Harperville

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":xwlrw41q said:
There are a few things I would like to change or improve upon.

First, Alan Branch. I like the guy and we've done great things with him since reclaiming him from the Arizona scrap heap, but he is a pretty one dimensional player. He's very stout against the run but doesn't provide much in the way of pass rush. Ideally, I would like to see him replaced with a top talent, someone who can play three downs, is stout against the run, and can shoot gaps or collapse the pocket during passing plays. Branch would still be a great backup, though.

Second, Marcus Trufant. Tru is not suited to playing in the slot. His entire career was spent lined up out wide where he does quite well in man coverage, but at this stage of the game he is the fifth or sixth best cornerback we have on the team and I would like to see the slot covered by some of the promising young blood, or WT3 if he ever manages to get his body right.

Third, I would look to improve things at the left guard position. That spot is well served by McQuistan, but he is a relatively unspectacular lineman at a spot where our scheme calls for a mauler. This is certainly not a position of great need, but we could certainly improve here, and it's tough to say if James Carpenter will ever be a long-term solution for us (though to be fair, football is full of unknowns, many of which are beyond coach and player ability to control).

Fourth, I would LOVE to see some better production from our wide receivers. I'm sure some of you reading this might be wondering "WTF, why?", after the pretty good seasons we are getting from Golden and Sidney, but the reality is that their production can be attributed more to the magic of RW's legs, which causes coverage breakdowns to occur when our guys are absolutely unable to get open. I'd like to see us get a real monster at this position, a guy who will fight for contested footballs and come down with them regularly in one-on-one situations. We don't have that right now, and haven't since Mike Williams' 2010 season. Sidney Rice is probably the most non-physical 6'4" receiver I have ever seen. His hands are good, but he just looks clumsy when he runs with the football, often falling to the turf untouched after making a catch. I like Sidney a lot, he is a good player, but we could use a physical monster who can break games open. Tate has the physicality and game breaking ability, but doesn't get open with RW in the pocket consistently enough, relying on circus antics from his QB to start breaking the coverage down. Could Sidney succeed in the slot? I can't say, but I would like to see someone better lining up opposite of Golden.

Fifth, I would like to see us draft an heir apparent to Leroy Hill. Leroy has been good for us but he is getting long in the tooth at a position which is generally better served by youth. Drafting his replacement (perhaps Morgan IS that replacement already, dude's been a baller for us but is undersized and has been nursing injuries) should necessitate a second, third, or fourth round pick, provided the value presents itself. Imagine this defense if it had a dynamic Clay Matthews type who is a threat to drop into coverage, stop the run, or rush the passer. Our defensive scheme doesn't seem to ask a lot of the OLBs, which appears to allow them to freelance and make plays a bit. A dynamic OLB could be a game breaker on defense.

These are the five things I would like to see changed, more or less in the order I see as most important. After these five things (a couple of them are even a bit nitpicky), it becomes hard to find areas of weakness as this team has so many very strong pieces to it.

It's like you jumped into my head and expanded my thoughts I was too lazy to write out in the post just before this! :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
M

Matticus

Reaction score
.... Frankly I'm embarrassed with my post. I will now go back to lurking, compose my thoughts and try to pull it all together.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":23lr491y said:
Giacommini
Leroy Hill
Steven Hauscka.

Agreed on Trufant and Hill.

Hauschka is making almost 90% of his kicks. He's missed 3 all year. He's got a strong leg too. I know good kickers are a dime a dozen suddenly, but he's tough to upgrade on.

And, not joking, I'd probably rate Giacomini among the top 10 RTs in the NFL right now. His penalties were much better in the second half of hte season. His pass pro is decent by RT standards and he's a beast in the run game. At his mistake free best, he looks like a pro-bowler. I remember thinking at the end of the preseason when I was doing DVR breakdowns that he was the best lineman on the team during those 4 games.

I'm a big fan of Sweezy once he gets more experienced. Carpenter is basically our version of Anthony Davis- a huge lumbering type with a lot of power but not a ton of athleticism. Moffitt is starter worthy, not great but he's very good at seal blocks and he's had quite a few blocks that set up Lynch TDs this season. Rishaw Johnson really impressed me in the preseason- I was surprised to see him cut. Very nice potential in the run game.

I'm happy with Jason Jones, but I'd add him to the list if it means Seattle finds the money for Melton, Starks, or Bennett.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
KitsapHawk":vcoa1120 said:
Matticus":vcoa1120 said:

Trufant=Starting Slot guy?
No such thing as a 'starting' slot guy. We have two starters at CB; Sherman and Browner. Beyond that, they are substitutional/situational players.

themunn

Reaction score
I'd like to see us replace Miller. I know what you're thinking "he's a great blocker, and good receiver too", and I agree with those things, but he has a 34m deal, and for that amount, I need him to be a consistent weapon in the offense, right now he's just not that, and I think we can find a rookie to do those things, I'd argue that McCoy had bigger production considering his reduced playing time (300 yards to Miller's 400, though both had 3 TDs), and if we could dump Miller's contract and replace him with a cheap rookie, we'd be free to chase the top DTs in FA