Seahawks Salary Information (updated with Kam's details)

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/yearly/[/urltargetblank]

I thought with all the off season talk, I thought it would be good to have a thread to discuss salary cap information that people could refer to for information.

The thread I've linked has a list of each players annual salaries with contract lengths. There is also a link on the page to the actual 2012 cap hits for each player that shows how much we took in 2012 as a cap hit from bonuses (signing, workout, performance bonuses, etc.). That is here:

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap-hit/[/urltargetblank]

And here's a link from the same site to the list of all our player salaries. From this page, you can see total salaries and length of contract. Clicking on a players name will bring you to their page and give you their individual salary and cap hit details for each year of the contract.

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/[/urltargetblank]

I'm sure information will change and need to be updated, or people may have additional links with more information, so please post them here. Hopefully we can get this stickied so we can easily reference these links for contract and salary cap details.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
There have been a few different posts discussing this already, including spotrac.com website. I agree that it is a good website. Mods, I'd suggest stickying this so that we all have easy quick access to it and it would likely cut down on the number of same topic threads in the offseason.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
(Mods, if my post doesn't fit into this thread feel free to move it)

Matt Flynn's contract will be asked about plenty this off-season, so I've been working on it, and hopefully I can lay out all the useful information people want to know. It's a bit complicated, so bare with me. Also, please, correct me if my figures or math is wrong.

a. According to Sportrac, Flynn's contract is $19.5 million over 3 years (with an additional 7 million in escalators, but ignore that. He won't receive it as a backup).

b. Of the realistic $19.5m contract, 10 million is guaranteed. After a 2m base salary and 2m signing bonus in 2012, he still has 6 million left guaranteed over the life of his contract; a remaining 4m in signing bonus (spread over two years) and 2m which comes elsewhere (base salary or dead cap space should he be cut).

c. Cutting Flynn before the 2013 season would cost 6 million in cap hit, spread over one or two years to cover his guaranteed money (Either 4m in 2013 + 2m in 2014 OR 6m in 2013. Thanks to mikeak for the correction), unless he is claimed off waiver. see point k.

d. If he was still on the roster next season, his base salary (5.25m) + his signing bonus (2m) would be a cap hit of 7.25m in 2013 and we would STILL be owed 2m in 2014 because his signing bonus in '14 is not included with his '13 base salary.

So, if we cut him before the 2014 season, his total two year cap hit would be $9.25 million w/ one season of play. (5.25m base salary + (2m + 2m signing bonus) = $9.25m)

e. If Flynn was to play two seasons, his total two-year cap hit would be 15.5m (4m in signing bonus + (5.25m + 6.25m base salary) = $15.5m).

f. The difference in cap space savings is $3.25 million if we cut him before the '13 season versus cutting him before 2014. (9.25m - 6m = $3.25m). Essentially, it costs us 3.25m more to keep him for next season and then cut him.

g. The difference in cap space loss is $1.25m if we can trade him before the '14 season versus cutting him before 2013. (6m - 7.25m = -1.25m). Essentially, he would costs us 1.25m more to keep him next season if we can trade him outright before the '14 season. (Writer's note: It must be absolutely certain he can be traded before the '14 season to think of the numbers this way.)

h. The cost to replace Flynn's roster spot starts with the minimum allowed salary (~$450,000) and should be compared against the 3.25m or 1.25m it cost to keep Flynn. (Ex. $3.25m - $450,000 = $2.8m cap saving)

i. Trading him outright before next season would save a total cap space of $11.5m over two years.

j. Trading him before the '14 season would save a cap space of $6.25m in 2014.

k. Should Flynn be cut and claimed of wavier wire by another team, they would take on the money owed for the base salary of Flynn's current contract which would include the 2 million portion of guaranteed money the Seahawks owe. Essentially, the cap hit would be reduced to $4m (from the signing bonus), instead of the original $6m. Writer's note: Additionally, figures in c., f., and h. would need to be adjusted. Example: (f.) 9.25m - 4m = 5.25m cap space saved

This post is not meant to start a Flynn cut/trade discussions here in this thread, but is purely Cap Salary information you can use in other, more appropriate threads. (Unless the OP's goal was to allow all player trade/cut discussion to be here?).

Edit: Added an alphabetic format and corrected g.
Edit: Added and confirmed k.
Edit: Corrected and confirmed i. & j.

mikeak

Reaction score
"- Cutting Flynn before the 2013 season would cost 6 million in cap hit, spread over two years to cover his guaranteed money (Either 4m in 2013 + 2m in 2014 OR 2m in '13 and 4m in '14. I'm not sure which)"

If we cut him after June 1 the signing bonus will be spread on two years so that makes it $2m each year. If we cut him before then we are taking the $4m in 2012. In addition there is $2 million left guaranteed so that makes it $4M in 2013 and $2M in 2014 or cut before June and all $6M hits 2013

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2goqeabh said:
"- Cutting Flynn before the 2013 season would cost 6 million in cap hit, spread over two years to cover his guaranteed money (Either 4m in 2013 + 2m in 2014 OR 2m in '13 and 4m in '14. I'm not sure which)"

If we cut him after June 1 the signing bonus will be spread on two years so that makes it $2m each year. If we cut him before then we are taking the $4m in 2012. In addition there is $2 million left guaranteed so that makes it $4M in 2013 and $2M in 2014 or cut before June and all $6M hits 2013

Thanks. Great information.

EDIT: I'm going to edit my post to reflect this. Still, the way cap space can be rolled over into the next year, now, the $6 million figure spread over one year or two won't really change the end result in cap hit.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Great post Recon...basically my only goal with this thread was to make a thread for information to be easily accessible or linked to in other threads that will no doubt, be popping up such as the lengthy Flynn thread already running.

I was hoping that as the off-season progressed and contracts are signed, and some may be restructured, this thread would hold that information while allowing others to discuss it in more specific topic threads.

Jville

Reaction score
mikeak":2it782ur said:

That June 1st date is noteworthy ...... (unless they changed it in the last CBA which I doubt).

The projected cap hits, as displayed on Sportack, charge off all of any schedutled roster bonus in the payment year. In other words, treating it as if the player is expected to receive the roster bonus but expected to be released prior to June 1 of the roster bonus year. However if the player plays out his contract, the cap hits generated by the roster bonus is actually distributed over the balance of the remaining contract years.

The cap costs displayed by Sportack has created confusion on this message board in the past and I am sure will trigger confusion in the future. So ... we should all be aware to avoid getting caught up in the confusion. Be cognizant of the June 1st date for scheduled roster bonuses and how it impacts actual cap hit calculations.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville":ctjrwkq4 said:
mikeak":ctjrwkq4 said:

That June 1st date is noteworthy ...... (unless they changed it in the last CBA which I doubt).

The projected cap hits, as displayed on Sportack, charge off all of any schedutled roster bonus in the payment year. In other words, treating it as if the player is expected to receive the roster bonus but expected to be released prior to June 1 of the roster bonus year. However if the player plays out his contract, the cap hits generated by the roster bonus is actually distributed over the balance of the remaining contract years.

The cap costs displayed by Sportack has created confusion on this message board in the past and I am sure will trigger confusion in the future. So ... we should all be aware to avoid getting caught up in the confusion. Be cognizant of the June 1st date for scheduled roster bonuses and how it impacts actual cap hit calculations.

Yes, you can never take any one place for granted when it comes to the cap. There will always be some variance even amongst the experts. I like this site, not so much for the overall team data, but for the fact that you can look up each individual contract and use that in your own figures or to check others. I leave the cap as a whole to whatever the team sources tend to put out from time to time.

I hope others will have other sites to add to this thread to make for more complete information for everyone. (Links to actual cap numbers for the teams w/dates would be great too)

Jville

Reaction score
Multiple sources certainly help clarify the subject matter. No different than consulting multiple authors in ones course work or at the library.

Here is an additional contract resource I've found useful to consult >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/sea/[/urltargetblank]

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't know of the June 1st in regards to roster bonus. I think those can be individually negotiated like in the Vick case I heard March 1st.

My reference to the June 1st date is for all signing bonuses. If you cut before June 1 the full signing bonus previously split in remaining years goes against current year cap. After June 1 you can split it up with next year

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I've added another scenario bit of information.

"k. Should Flynn be cut and claimed of wavier wire by another team, they would accept the money owed for the base salary of Flynn's current contract which may include the 2 million portion of guaranteed money Seahawks owe. Essentially, the reduced cap hit would be $4m, instead of $6m. Writer's note: This is not confirmed, yet. Additionally, figures in c., f., and h. would need to be adjusted. Example: (f.) 9.25m - 4m = 5.25m cap space saved"

Can anyone confirm that this would be true? I think it could serve as an argument for people who think Flynn would be claimed by another team, thus reducing the cap hit if he were cut.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3ekud6ee said:

"k. Should Flynn be cut and claimed of wavier wire by another team, they would accept the money owed for the base salary of Flynn's current contract which may include the 2 million portion of guaranteed money Seahawks owe. Essentially, the reduced cap hit would be $4m, instead of $6m. Writer's note: This is not confirmed, yet. Additionally, figures in c., f., and h. would need to be adjusted. Example: (f.) 9.25m - 4m = 5.25m cap space saved"

Can anyone confirm that this would be true? I think it could serve as an argument for people who think Flynn would be claimed by another team, thus reducing the cap hit if he were cut.

I was under the impression that claiming teams only take on the salary and that the bonus is dead money on the previous team's cap. I could be wrong, but that's what I've always assumed.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3higm7e2 said:
Recon_Hawk":3higm7e2 said:

I was under the impression that claiming teams only take on the salary and that the bonus is dead money on the previous team's cap. I could be wrong, but that's what I've always assumed.

The Hawks would still be responsible for the $4million in signing bonus, but there remains another $2 million guaranteed in his contract that is tied to his base salary. If another team took on his 11.5m two/yr base salary, I believe the 2m is a part of that. Otherwise, Flynn would be paid an extra 2m on the life of his contract. (15.5m left on his contract - 11.5m in base salary = 4m <---signing bonus which we owe no matter what)

Either the team claiming Flynn only pays 3.25m of the first year and the Hawks cover the other 2m, or the Hawks are off the hook for that 2m.

At least, that's how I think it works.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":25cvjf6t said:
kidhawk":25cvjf6t said:
Recon_Hawk":25cvjf6t said:

The Hawks would still be responsible for the $4million in signing bonus, but there remains another $2 million guaranteed in his contract that is tied to his base salary. If another team took on his 11.5m two/yr base salary, I believe the 2m is a part of that. Otherwise, Flynn would be paid an extra 2m on the life of his contract. (15.5m left on his contract - 11.5m in base salary = 4m <---signing bonus which we owe no matter what)

Either the team claiming Flynn only pays 3.25m of the first year and the Hawks cover the other 2m, or the Hawks are off the hook for that 2m.

At least, that's how I think it works.

Ahhh yes, any unpaid bonuses move along with the contract..unless of course the contract is renegotiated, which is fairly common, then the new team takes on the new contract with the old contract being voided (this doesn't change our cap money at all, still responsible for the dead money on our cap and this applies for all players under contract)

Zowert

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how the RFA (Restricted Free-Agent) and UFA (Unrestricted Free-Agent) rules work in the NFL's CBA? Is it similar to the NHL's or is it completely different?

In the NHL, a restricted free agent [RFA] is a player who's rookie contract expired and his current team has a chance to extend a qualifying offer. This keeps the player from becoming an unrestricted free agent and available for any team to negotiate with. Then the only way another team can acquire that RFA player is to draft an offer sheet (at least that's what I think its called, an "offer sheet"). Now the current team is notified of the offer that another team made to their restricted free agent, and they either have to match the amount of $$$ on the offer sheet or let the player join the other team. The player has no say in the entire process, unless he files for salary arbitration, which I am pretty sure an RFA can do in the NHL.

An unrestricted free agent in the NHL is free to go anywhere he chooses for whatever a team is willing to pay him, which I know is the same in the NFL. It's only the Restricted Free Agent rule that i'm not sure about.

So... Is that how the RFA works in the NFL or is it somewhat similar? Completely different?

Thanks

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Zowert":g9cx6jxa said:
Can someone please explain how the RFA (Restricted Free-Agent) and UFA (Unrestricted Free-Agent) rules work in the NFL's CBA? Is it similar to the NHL's or is it completely different?

In the NHL, a restricted free agent [RFA] is a player who's rookie contract expired and his current team has a chance to extend a qualifying offer. This keeps the player from becoming an unrestricted free agent and available for any team to negotiate with. Then the only way another team can acquire that RFA player is to draft an offer sheet (at least that's what I think its called, an "offer sheet"). Now the current team is notified of the offer that another team made to their restricted free agent, and they either have to match the amount of $$$ on the offer sheet or let the player join the other team. The player has no say in the entire process, unless he files for salary arbitration, which I am pretty sure an RFA can do in the NHL.

An unrestricted free agent in the NHL is free to go anywhere he chooses for whatever a team is willing to pay him, which I know is the same in the NFL. It's only the Restricted Free Agent rule that i'm not sure about.

So... Is that how the RFA works in the NFL or is it somewhat similar? Completely different?

Thanks

Except for the salary arbitration part, that is pretty much how it works in the NFL. Just before the start of the new league year, they will announce what the tender amounts are for franchise players and Restricted Free agents. Teams that want to, may offer that amount to their player, and he may either sign it or go to the market and seek out a better contract, which we could either match or let him walk.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
From Rotoworld:

Max Unger - C - Seahawks Seahawks C Max Unger triggered an escalator in his contract, raising his 2013 salary from $4 million to $4.9 million.

Earl Thomas - DB - Seahawks Seahawks FS Earl Thomas triggered an escalator in his contract, raising his 2013 salary from $1.575 million to $2.05 million.

Paul McQuistan - G - Seahawks Seahawks OG Paul McQuistan triggered an escalator in his contract, upping his 2013 salary from $2 million to $3 million.

Breno Giacomini - T - Seahawks Seahawks RT Breno Giacomini triggered an escalator in his contract, raising his 2013 salary from $3 million to $3.5 million.

Kam Chancellor - DB - Seahawks Seahawks SS Kam Chancellor's 2013 base salary increased from $575,000 to $1.323 million after he hit escalators in his rookie deal.

These changes reduce the available to 2013 cap to about $14.5M (from $18.3).

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2ubz7lpv said:
From Rotoworld:

Max Unger - C - Seahawks Seahawks C Max Unger triggered an escalator in his contract, raising his 2013 salary from $4 million to $4.9 million.

Earl Thomas - DB - Seahawks Seahawks FS Earl Thomas triggered an escalator in his contract, raising his 2013 salary from $1.575 million to $2.05 million.

Paul McQuistan - G - Seahawks Seahawks OG Paul McQuistan triggered an escalator in his contract, upping his 2013 salary from $2 million to $3 million.

Breno Giacomini - T - Seahawks Seahawks RT Breno Giacomini triggered an escalator in his contract, raising his 2013 salary from $3 million to $3.5 million.

Kam Chancellor - DB - Seahawks Seahawks SS Kam Chancellor's 2013 base salary increased from $575,000 to $1.323 million after he hit escalators in his rookie deal.

These changes reduce the available to 2013 cap to about $14.5M (from $18.3).

These are the types of contracts I really love to see. Thanks for the info

McGruff

Reaction score
Um, Zach Miller is scheduled to get a $3 million roster bonus in March, bringing his base salary in 2013 to $9.8. Million.

That's a lot of cash!

Latest posts