Unger's terrible snaps?

Handyman

Reaction score
First of all, I'm a long time reader and always enjoy what people have to say. With that said, Why has there not been one word mentioned lately about how terrible half of Unger's shotgun snaps seem to be? I know he has been battling the triceps injury... repeat... I know. But how can he snap accurately half the time and so poorly the other half. I've yet to pick up on any tendencies on what is causing this, so is there something I'm just not seeing? I just don't see the logic in talking about all of our o-line issues without addressing the elephant in the room that is our all-pro center. Pretty much every issue lately has been about the lack of time our tackles are giving Russell Wilson to make all his reads, running or throwing, but how much longer can they afford to keep giving away another 0.5-1.o seconds straight from the snap? I couldn't keep quite any longer, so I guess I'm just venting... But I know this is a problem and I just find it odd that little has been mentioned of it by anyone?

davidonmi

Reaction score
I think half is putting it nicely, there is no doubt his snaps have been awful, and week by week goes by and it isn't getting better, puzzling

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
OP...You are not the first one to bring up this subject on this message board. All you and I can do is complain about it. The press can bring it up in the weekly Pete Carroll Press Conference. Pete can then respond whether they see it is an issue or not.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Handyman":txctmr75 said:
First of all, I'm a long time reader and always enjoy what people have to say. With that said, Why has there not been one word mentioned lately about how terrible half of Unger's shotgun snaps seem to be? I know he has been battling the triceps injury... repeat... I know. But how can he snap accurately half the time and so poorly the other half. I've yet to pick up on any tendencies on what is causing this, so is there something I'm just not seeing? I just don't see the logic in talking about all of our o-line issues without addressing the elephant in the room that is our all-pro center. Pretty much every issue lately has been about the lack of time our tackles are giving Russell Wilson to make all his reads, running or throwing, but how much longer can they afford to keep giving away another 0.5-1.o seconds straight from the snap? I couldn't keep quite any longer, so I guess I'm just venting... But I know this is a problem and I just find it odd that little has been mentioned of it by anyone?

With every low snap, Wilson takes, WIlson loses his peripheral view of the field and is forced to refocus constantly on the field once he's got control of the snap. Meaning while he's looking down to gather the crappy snap, which isn't just low, it's very slow, very slow, the defense is moving and RW has no idea where the defenders have gone until he can look back up and can refocus.

This totally puts Russell at a disadvantage and is as egregious as the tackle not holding his line in my opinion..

I"m just really pissed off about it and I can only complain about it and I do and do and do.. ok I'll stop until the next low snap.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I wrote up a post about this very thing, then I deleted it in case it was my imagination mixed with the alcohol and now this! Do I know you?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
You know he has a triceps injury, but still you want to know why so many of his snaps suck? Darn! I hate when our players our human.

He's still the best center we have.

OP
OP
H

Handyman

Reaction score
You probably do know me... I'm from SW WA but have ties everywhere in the state. I don't call myself Handyman cuz I'm good at fixing things if that helps. Just glad people out there share my Unger frustrations!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":37jus1b6 said:
You know he has a triceps injury, but still you want to know why so many of his snaps suck? Darn! I hate when our players our human.

I disagree. I pointed out his crappy snaps way back in the pre-season and he didn't even get hurt until week 3, so it was an issue long before he was injured. Besides, I do believe his injury was on his left arm. He snaps with his right.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
We really need Unger and Carpenter to be solid right now. The other three are getting ripped apart and one more injury could be the end of the line.

Sturm

Reaction score
If he can block a DT rushing through, he can surely snap the ball correctly.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I'm surprised this doesn't get talked about more at least on Seattle sports radio. Also I have never seen a reporter ask Carroll about it. It's a big deal, and pretty ridiculous. I don't see any other QB constantly catching balls around his ankles.

As if getting zero pass protection isn't bad enough, Wilson has to bend and catch the ball around his ankles half the time. I'd lose my mind if I was Wilson.

TCS

Reaction score
I've been bitching about this to my buddy's for the last couple of games. I was going to post this very same thing but got caught up in work and forgot. Great post OP. This is very concerning for all the reasons stated above. The only thing I can think of is that Unger is so concerned/overwhelmed with scanning the protection assignments, and that he knows that he will need to try and make up for the apparent lack of protection from his fellow lineman, that he his shotgun snaps are suffering? I can only imagine the frustration Unger must be feeling towards the other lineman that aren't pulling their "weight". Center is the most cerebral position on the line, with a ton of responsibility. Unger probably knows that he is going to have to try and do extra blocking each play, and his snaps are suffering as he is trying to get to his/other assignments once the play starts.

Pure speculation on my part. I'd bet that his snaps will get better when we get Breno and Okung back...

Go Hawks!

tcs

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":zcv6ottp said:
LymonHawk":zcv6ottp said:

I disagree. I pointed out his crappy snaps way back in the pre-season and he didn't even get hurt until week 3, so it was an issue long before he was injured. Besides, I do believe his injury was on his left arm. He snaps with his right.

Why is it that people assume that because a player doesn't miss time, that he's not hurt? For all we know, Unger got hurt in preseason or camp and it's lingered. The fact that he missed a few games could easily mean that he took a hit that made it worse to the point that he couldn't play at all. Basically my point is we don't always hear about a player not playing at full strength unless they go on the injury report. A big reason for this is there is no reason to help give other teams a tactical advantage.

With that said, even with the poor snaps, it's obvious that his leadership and making line adjustments was and is needed. I wish the guy was 100%, because in years past, he's made a ton of great snaps. His history gives me pause to allow him the benefit of the doubt right now. I don't like it at all, but once we can get our protection issues fixed (ie get all our starters in their positions on the field) maybe Wilson won't have to take quite so many shotgun snaps and we won't have this issue to worry about. All these line injuries are trickling down throughout the offense and I can't wait to see things back at full strength

mrblitz

Reaction score
i thought he was playing hurt from week1? then the injury got so bad that he had to sit out. then he healed up enough to get back in?

it just looks like unger has been playing hurt all year.

maybe he's been snapping with the 'off/other hand'?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm seeing the same thing, although I wouldn't go so far as to call them terrible. A lot of his snaps are ankle high or off center, requiring Russell to break his concentration and adjust to the snap. He doesn't consistently put the ball belt high and dead center where it should be but he's never centered the ball over Russell's 5'10" head or sent one back on a hop. But he needs to work on it. Right now, his snaps are of the "close enough for government work" quality.

StoneCold

Reaction score
He blocks like Max, but snaps like Felix. I have noticed this all year.

SC

formido

Reaction score
C'mon. A triceps injury should not affect your snaps. Snapping a football is not very hard. If your injury is bad enough that you can't toss a football reliably an extremely short distance, then that's the least of your problems -- blocking defensive lineman would be physically impossible.

This is a focus issue and skill failure.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
formido":3r0w8dos said:
C'mon. A triceps injury should not affect your snaps. Snapping a football is not very hard. If your injury is bad enough that you can't toss a football reliably an extremely short distance, then that's the least of your problems -- blocking defensive lineman would be physically impossible.

This is a focus issue and skill failure.
Bingo. The tricep injury excuse is downright comical.

mikeak

Reaction score
There has been posts about this from preseason on. I pulled a few links last week when this was discussed again. So it is not related to the new tricep injury or at least that isn't what caused it in the first place.

Is it possible that he was injured before then - sure but I can't recall any other threads on this board that says. X player sucks at this but since he once did it fine we are going to claim that he is injured despite it not being on an injury report...........

It takes RW's eyes away from where they need to be, it takes time to get the ball to the right position, it takes concentration away from where it needs to be. I do believe it is a real issue and needs to get solved