Def Rush

Seahawkx

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks our extremely talented defensive line, especially the rushers, are not used properly. Watching them, I am not seeing any exotic schemes or mixing things up.. Its just straight up trying to rush around your blockers. Even though we are having decent sack numbers, I don't really see the QB being disturbed all games. I don't know, but with the talent of our rushers, we should be in the QBs face every single pass. There is so much potential here. Bring a talented D-Coordinator to this team, this would be a crazy pass rush team!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Seahawkx":2eiubcrj said:
Watching them, I am not seeing any exotic schemes or mixing things up.. Its just straight up trying to rush around your blockers.

This is a theme with our team. We're not trying to do anything out of the box. We have some out of the box players physically but the goal of this team is to simply line up and be better than the other 11 guys one for one. I for one appreciate it, it breeds consistency, rather than having some 'mix it up' plays that have a mix of results that can't always be replicated.

Line up and win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawkx":2vkbgyai said:
Am I the only one that thinks our extremely talented defensive line, especially the rushers, are not used properly. Watching them, I am not seeing any exotic schemes or mixing things up.. Its just straight up trying to rush around your blockers. Even though we are having decent sack numbers, I don't really see the QB being disturbed all games. I don't know, but with the talent of our rushers, we should be in the QBs face every single pass. There is so much potential here. Bring a talented D-Coordinator to this team, this would be a crazy pass rush team!

Not sure what else you want, we're already way ahead of our sack pace from last year (36 last year and already 26 this year).

Btw, this is the NFL, there are very good offensive lineman trying to block our rushers. To think we should be in the QB's face EVERY play is ludicrous. If there's one unit on the Hawks you shouldn't be worried about, it's the D-Line.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seahawkx":ie14jz3k said:

Please confirm your credentials in defensive line coaching.

And your age, for that matter.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seahawkx":1zfifou1 said:

Tell me more about these exotic schemes that teleport pass rushers straight through a line of blockers.

OP
OP
S

Seahawkx

Reaction score
volsunghawk":gs5vbzp1 said:
You're the only one that has a book in which our game vs. the Rams is written down as a loss.

I believe whats written down in my book is much closer to what actually happened than your blowout predictions and calling anyone who had a concern for that game, crazy and delusional.

Plus, 9.9 out of 10, a performance like that will NOT get you a win again.

Barthawk

Reaction score
We have two guys in the top 10 in the NFL in pressures (Bennett and Clemons). We are on pace for 52 sacks, we are ranked only behind KC in our ability to disrupt the passing game.

The Rams game was an outlier and thankfully this outlier was still a W. It does not take a genius to figure out that if we play like we did on MNF that we will not continue to win at this pace...

Personally, I am pretty damn happy with the 2nd ranked D in the NFL.

King Dog

Reaction score
Seahawkx":1fxcxdv6 said:
Bring a talented D-Coordinator to this team, this would be a crazy pass rush team!

Bring a talented D-Coordinator to this team? Lol

DavidSeven

Reaction score
wk8-pressure-points-team-defense-season.jpg

BTW, 6/8 teams we've played so far have been in the top half of the league in defensive pressure. St. Louis is #17, but they match up well against us. The only bad "pressure" team we've played is JAX, and we dropped 45 on them. Amazing that we made it to 7-1 after that brutal stretch.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3vkxkzzr said:
Seahawkx":3vkxkzzr said:
Watching them, I am not seeing any exotic schemes or mixing things up.. Its just straight up trying to rush around your blockers.

This is a theme with our team. We're not trying to do anything out of the box. We have some out of the box players physically but the goal of this team is to simply line up and be better than the other 11 guys one for one. I for one appreciate it, it breeds consistency, rather than having some 'mix it up' plays that have a mix of results that can't always be replicated.

Line up and win.

Not sure about that, weve attempted some out of the box plays, punts, fg's come to mind so.. PC does like to throw in wrinkles. That said, I wish he wouldn't cause they never seem to be executed correctly or work.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Seahawkx":3pusc8uu said:

So are QBs just having an off day against us.. spending too much time knitting in the pocket when playing against our D?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

2nd ranked D in the NFL behind Houston

3rd ranked passing defense in the NFL at 189 per game..

3rd in the NFL in scoring D.. 15.6 per game (led the NFL last season)

stack600

Reaction score
Just give it time, DC, Coach Jones and staff, are still learning and working on our D line concepts= Think about the facts
1 Irvin was out 4 weeks so as you saw he's 4 games in and Playing great in the Rams game.
2 Clem has only been back 5 games and 1 were he only had 19 snaps. didn't play in pre season
3 Avril has only been playing in the last 6 games since hammy that kept him out all of training camp. & preseason.
4 We have 26 sacks (Bennett has 4.5 McDaniels and McDonald have some of them, and a couple by the LBers and DBs)
Just think when the do get the perfect front 4 rotations and positions figured out. I for one see this group getting almost double the sacks of the 1st 8 games down the stretch. The Coaches have even said they have not figured out the perfect groupings or positions for all the rushers we have.
So Have Faith Brothers, and enjoy the 2nd half of the season.
Go Hawks

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Seahawkx":de0q3c71 said:
volsunghawk":de0q3c71 said:
You're the only one that has a book in which our game vs. the Rams is written down as a loss.

I believe whats written down in my book is much closer to what actually happened than your blowout predictions and calling anyone who had a concern for that game, crazy and delusional.

Plus, 9.9 out of 10, a performance like that will NOT get you a win again.

I didn't make any blowout predictions, champ.

But in the end, a win is a win, no matter how ugly it was.

Matters for concern? Absolutely, and that's how most of the folks here have treated that game.

You're the only one calling it a loss.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1yoojfln said:
wk8-pressure-points-team-defense-season.jpg

BTW, 6/8 teams we've played so far have been in the top half of the league in defensive pressure. St. Louis is #17, but they match up well against us. The only bad "pressure" team we've played is JAX, and we dropped 45 on them. Amazing that we made it to 7-1 after that brutal stretch.

Where is the table you posted from? Is this a stat you've created or does it have another origin?

rideaducati

Reaction score
I've seen more stunts this year than I saw all of last year from the defense. They got burned a couple times last week while running them when the Rams RB cut back. I think (and hope) we see fewer stunts in the future. This team has the talent to just line up and win the battles.