They're doing it!

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks blitzed or stunted on 10 of 11 sacks. And also stunted on the Diggs pick.

The 1st Nwosu sack was their only vanilla rush sack of the night.

The biggest play of the game was ironically, vanilla cover 3 for the pick 6.

As I stated earlier in the pre-season and regular season, the team was too talented on defense to be a bottom 6 defense which is what they ranked in EPA going into the Giants game. And yes, the Giants are one of the worst offenses in football, but that's not the point. The point is to play to your personnel's strengths. They did it for a very brief window against DET, then more against CAR, then last night it started looking like what it should've looked like from the beginning. Positive reinforcement. The more they do it, the better the results they continue to get.

It's taken a month of regular season football for them to figure out what they should've already knew, but better late than never.

They are a pressure based attack that needs to amoeba it up, and bring rushers from everywhere, stunt, delay, drop, whatever, etc. They are not built to sit back in soft zone and let the front 4 do all of the work. That would require 2 substantive upgrades to the D-Line, which they do not have, and will not come anytime soon. BUT they are built to bring the heat from CB, LB, and S. 6 of their 11 sacks came from Witherspoon, Wagner, and Brooks. And 4 of the 5 sacks from the D-Line came on a blitz or stunt.

This style requires a lot more work during the week, scheming it up and putting it in, and Pete's going to have to live with potentially surrendering a big play every once in a while, but they have the horses to play this style and they must fully embrace it. It is the way they have to play if they want to be successful on defense. Not the old way.

LTH

Reaction score
The Seahawks blitzed or stunted on 10 of 11 sacks. And also stunted on the Diggs pick.

As I stated earlier in the pre-season and regular season, the team was too talented on defense to be a bottom 6 defense which is what they ranked in EPA going into the Giants game. And yes, the Giants are one of the worst offenses in football, but that's not the point. The point is to play to your personnel's strengths. They did it for a very brief window against DET, then more against CAR, then last night it started looking like what it should've looked like from the beginning. Positive reinforcement. The more they do it, the better the results they continue to get.

It's taken a month of regular season football for them to figure out what they should've already knew, but better late than never.

They are a pressure based attack that needs to amoeba it up, and bring rushers from everywhere, stunt, delay, drop, whatever, etc. They are not built to sit back in soft zone and let the front 4 do all of the work. That would require 2 substantive upgrades to the D-Line, which they do not have, and will not come anytime soon. BUT they are built to bring the heat from CB, LB, and S. 6 of their 11 sacks came from Witherspoon, Wagner, and Brooks. And 4 of the 5 sacks from the D-Line came on a blitz or stunt.

This style requires a lot more work during the week, scheming it up and putting it in, and Pete's going to have to live with potentially surrendering a big play every once in a while, but they have the horses to play this style and they must fully embrace it. It is the way they have to play if they want to be successful on defense. Not the old way.
The question that eludes you is why we're they sitting back in soft zones? The answer to that question is Spoon, Woolen and the secondary being solid enough to play the schemes that Carroll ultimately wants to play for the way the D is designed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score

So you’re saying when we pressure the opposing QB a lot that good things happen? <sarcasm off>. Let’s hope they don’t stop doing what’s working.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Yawn @ the OP. The narrative always fits when you feel like it. It’s beyond boring at this point.

You don't find it interesting that all but one of the sacks happened when they sent more than 4 rushers? The results last night compared to much of the first couple of weeks certainly seems to reinforce the idea that they need to be more aggressive, no?

It seems like you've just decided you don't like Fade so you make a post like this in every one of his posts. If you're looking for the real boring bit in this thread I've quoted it above.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
You don't find it interesting that all but one of the sacks happened when they sent more than 4 rushers? The results last night compared to much of the first couple of weeks certainly seems to reinforce the idea that they need to be more aggressive, no?

It seems like you've just decided you don't like Fade so you make a post like this in every one of his posts. If you're looking for the real boring bit in this thread I've quoted it above.
I do find it interesting. I’ve advocated for being more aggressive. I looked forward to Fade’s posts until a couple years ago. Nothing against him, just not what I see a lot of the time. And then change the narrative. All good. I’m not sure if I’ve ever quoted Fade or replied to him directly until now. Insight is good. Thanks nano.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I do find it interesting. I’ve advocated for being more aggressive. I looked forward to Fade’s posts until a couple years ago. Nothing against him, just not what I see a lot of the time. And then change the narrative. All good. I’m not sure if I’ve ever quoted Fade or replied to him directly until now. Insight is good. Thanks nano.
Apologies, I'm probably confusing you with someone else. Because I'm easily confused. Generally.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan

Good catch, Fade. They essentially moved toward what I've been hoping for, which is to play aggressive attack style defense that dictates rather than reactionary style. Our recent draft indicated that was the intent but they didn't get it put in until a few spots vs Carolina. I think Adams return to action in addition to Witherspoon as well as a couple other picks they made were the tip to what is coming.
Putting the cuffs on an opponents running game and making them one dimensional is an extremely important defensive step in taking over a game, and that starts with the three big bodies in the middle. That is why Pete said we would build our D plan around Jarran, and Reed is delivering.

Last edited:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think a lot of the hawks sending guys was having extra bodies rushing Jones to keep him contained. Some of those blitzes were probably "spies" moving in to clean things up.

Smellyman

Reaction score

Fade said they blitzed or stunted on 10 of 11 sacks, that doesn't mean blitzed on all but one. Stunting does not equal blitzing.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yawn @ the OP. The narrative always fits when you feel like it. It’s beyond boring at this point.
Ole Fade has his days sure, but it’s pretty hard to argue or discount this particular post/train of thought.

Maybe re-read it and see if you can’t say a little something nice?

knownone

Reaction score
My only objection is that this isn't the case of Seattle suddenly coming around to playing a particular style. They built the defense to blitz more from the secondary. Pete talked about it a lot last offseason. And the reason we haven't seen it this season is because we did not have the personnel due to injuries.