Why hasn't Sidney Rice been cut or restructured yet?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Our dead money for the rest of this year and the next two on his contract are fairly low. We can save cap space for the rest of this year, and roughly 16 million next year and the following.

Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead
2011 2,000,000 1,200,000 - 3,200,000 -
2012 7,000,000 1,200,000 - 8,200,000 -
2013 8,500,000 1,200,000 - 9,700,000 3,600,000
2014 8,500,000 1,200,000 - 9,700,000 2,400,000
2015 9,000,000 1,200,000 - 10,200,000 1,200,000
2016 UFA

I know it would be sort of cold to cut him immediately, but don't you guys think it's possible it would be done next week? It's a business.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I don't think they can just cut him. They could mutually restructure, or he could retire. But I could be FOS too.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
his contract was for 18.5m guaranteed.

he earns all his money this year regardless of when he's cut/restructured. prorated signing bonus for the remainder of his contract + remainder of guaranteed salary = no real point/gains to be had by cutting.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I believe that once he made the roster for the regular season, his salary for this season got locked into place with the injury. Even if they cut him they have to pay him and it won't save any salary cap room. By holding onto him now, we can still possibly work out a restructured contract before next season if that's a direction they want to go. It's a safe way to wait and see what happens in the draft and free agency before deciding on his fate

Hawknballs

Reaction score
what will happen is that he will be released after the superbowl for a 2.4m dead money cap hit and then its over with.

Uthawk

Reaction score
He's with the rest of the 12s cheering his squad on til Feb 2 according to his twitter.

After Feb 2? Who knows

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Interesting. I thought that due to the players' association always pushing towards guaranteed contracts in case of injury meant that the current state allowed cuts in that event. I guess what it means if that you collect for the current year and then nothing is guaranteed afterward.

kidhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":25qwkxoi said:
Interesting. I thought that due to the players' association always pushing towards guaranteed contracts in case of injury meant that the current state allowed cuts in that event. I guess what it means if that you collect for the current year and then nothing is guaranteed afterward.

What is and isn't guaranteed is based on individual contracts (as far as future years are concerned). There are rules in the CBA regarding when injured players can or can't be released, and those usually involve some sort of injury settlement, but that gets a bit more complex. As of now though, Rice is locked into his current contract through the end of this season. After that we can release him, restructure him or keep him under the original terms of his deal. I find option 1 and 2 to be more equal than most around here, with option 3 being quite a stretch

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
OkieHawk":216wl41y said:
Why cut him, he still deserves that ring as well.

No one deserves the ring... until we deserve the ring..

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's not as if anyone else is going to want him. We may see him back yet on a cheapie one-year deal.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I thought they could still cut himi and save the protrated cap space while stil honoring his guarentee'd salary? i'm not a cap guy so... dont listen to me

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Kearly had the best suggestion where he'll be cut and then be brought back at a cheaper contract.

If the Seahawks could get away with Rice coming back on a vet min contract and we just rehab him all year, Rice could become next years Harvin, who comes in mid-season to provide a big boost.

Or they just move away from him altogether.

Either way allows the Seahawks to retain Tate at a contract worth 5-6 mil per year and the Seahawks to keep Baldwin, who I wouldn't mind trading for a 3rd Rounder to Colts.. who could use a clutch slot WR for Luck. Baldwin with Luck would be huge for Indy.

It would be cool if after this season the Seahawks could just swap their 1st rounder plus a mid with Clevelands 3rd rounder and we could get Josh Gordon.

Gordon, Tate, Harvin, and Kearse would be a great young WR corps. Add in Rice as a 5th option eventually that would just be used exclusively in 3rd down/Red Zone packages at some point... looks really good.

Sturm

Reaction score
Hawknballs":ounuipym said:
what will happen is that he will be released after the superbowl for a 2.4m dead money cap hit and then its over with.

So he's only on the books for 2.4MM next year and that's it? I thought it would be much more than that.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
How much $$$ will our cap get hit if we released him?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sturm":2l9l9p3y said:
Hawknballs":2l9l9p3y said:

So he's only on the books for 2.4MM next year and that's it? I thought it would be much more than that.

When this current season is over, he is only has 2.4 million guaranteed. If he was to remain on the roster next year he is owed 9.7 million. So if he was cut in the off-season he is owed the 2.4 million. This was before he got hurt though.

plyka

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":hwsv0knb said:
It's not as if anyone else is going to want him. We may see him back yet on a cheapie one-year deal.

I think everyone will be shocked at how much teams are willing to give Rice. It's not as if his body is "breaking down" like some on radio proclaim. His body has always been broken, the man gets injured every other week taking a walk to the drinking fountain. This is one reason I was amazed the Hawks paid so much for him inthe first place, then they repeat the EXACT SAME MISTAKE on Harvin. Percy is just as injury prone as Rice is. Of course with Harvin, he is still younger and a better WRs in my mind. But expending so many resources chasing Bevell's old WRs out of Minny has been a tremendous error in my judgement. The price for Harvin was much higher than Rice, because draft picks were given up. REmind me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Hawks give up a 1st and 3rd for Harvin? I think the reason is Bevell.

I would gladly give up those picks for Harvin IF he wasn't so injury prone, but he has proven throughout his career that he is. If i was the Hawks, I would be extremely catious in bringing Harvin back. I would delay it as much as possible, maybe even bringing him in and playing him sparingly with 3 weeks to go in the season. Make sure he can make it through 3 games in the playoffs if the Hawks have home field.

Latest posts