Pete Carroll Bashing in media

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I hope Walter Thumond and Brandon Browner are happy with the heat they brought to the team and its head coach Pete Carroll. They say they're sorry but they're just sorry they got caught i know i've been their. i think its weak they brought this negativity twords the team and possibly taint a championship though i'am glad it was'nt PED's. various sports shows saying Carroll is responsible for whatever these guys do off-field is rediculous these are grown men and PC is not a babysitter. I think it is mis-placed blame you can't account for these guys 24/7. PC gave these guys a chance especially BROWNER and they did him dirty by doing drugs in the middle of the most important run in seattle sports history in my opinion. If coaches were judged by the actions of their players OFF the field then what kind of coach does that make Bill Belichick.

hawker84

Reaction score
If you hold a HC responsible for their players off field actions, then you should hold upper management for all major/minor corperations responsible for their employees as well. Like you said these are grown ass men making poor decisions. If Pete is turning a blind eye to pill popping in the locker room that's one thing, guys going out passing blunts around at a party is not his responsibility.

BKCW

Reaction score
That is the nature of being in a leadership position. When people you are responsible for fail, be it personal or professional, you get blamed. It goes both ways, credit and blame, unfortunately, and we as Seahawks fans happen to be at the epicenter of the drama. I also think it is improper for all these media outlets to make these assumptions without knowing all the details. What if Pete knew Browner had an addiction problem and the organization had been working with him very closely and he had a moment of weakness and got caught? Who knows, but it is unfortunate.

plyka

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2eb96j0j said:
I hope Walter Thumond and Brandon Browner are happy with the heat they brought to the team and its head coach Pete Carroll. They say they're sorry but they're just sorry they got caught i know i've been their. i think its weak they brought this negativity twords the team and possibly taint a championship though i'am glad it was'nt PED's. various sports shows saying Carroll is responsible for whatever these guys do off-field is rediculous these are grown men and PC is not a babysitter. I think it is mis-placed blame you can't account for these guys 24/7. PC gave these guys a chance especially BROWNER and they did him dirty by doing drugs in the middle of the most important run in seattle sports history in my opinion. If coaches were judged by the actions of their players OFF the field then what kind of coach does that make Bill Belichick.

I'm sorry but Who the hell Cares about the media? I'm the last to believe in this East Coast media bias, because teams like the 49ers get plenty of love. But let's be frank here, the only time they speak of the Seahawks is to find a reason to bash them. That would be true whether this happened or not. I saw forget about what people will think --especially people who could care less about you and only dig for reason to bash you.

What is the % of NFL fans around the league that know the Seahawks currently have the best record in the NFL? Out of those people, how many found out through ESPN or NBC Sports or Fox, etc? I would say 5% at most. On the other hand, recalculate those figures if Denver or New England had the best record.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
plyka":2cgifazu said:
Lynch Mob":2cgifazu said:

I'm sorry but Who the F Cares about the media? I'm the last to believe in this East Coast media bias, because teams like the 49ers get plenty of love. But let's be frank here, the only time they speak of the Seahawks is to find a reason to bash them. That would be true whether this happened or not. I saw forget about what people will think --especially people who could care less about you and only dig for reason to bash you.

What is the % of NFL fans around the league that know the Seahawks currently have the best record in the NFL? Out of those people, how many found out through ESPN or NBC Sports or Fox, etc? I would say 5% at most. On the other hand, recalculate those figures if Denver or New England had the best record.
Bravo! :th2thumbs:

ivotuk

Reaction score
plyka":26pdjg32 said:
Lynch Mob":26pdjg32 said:

I'm sorry but Who the F Cares about the media? I'm the last to believe in this East Coast media bias, because teams like the 49ers get plenty of love. But let's be frank here, the only time they speak of the Seahawks is to find a reason to bash them. That would be true whether this happened or not. I saw forget about what people will think --especially people who could care less about you and only dig for reason to bash you.

Obviously you just read the thread title and not the Op's opinion. He is upset because 2 players hung their coach out to dry. It's now going to be nonstop about the Seahawks and drug problems and Browner and Thurmond instead of talking about this team and how hard the rest of the guys are working. There will be nothing about Pete Carroll turning this team around and the success of John Schneider, instead it will be questioning all of their decisions.

We for sure now will never see Pete Carroll win Coach of the Year or see John Schneider win General Manager of the Year. That's recognition that both of those guys deserve, it's their legacy and from here on out it will all be tarnished by 2 selfish players. And these kinds of things don't just effect the HC and GM, it effects the fans who have spent many years supporting this team and praying for a Championship.

It effects the families of the coaches and front office because they will hear about. And all because 2 idiots put themselves above the rest of the team.

Personally, I could care less whether the rest of the world or the media recognize how the Seahawks have worked hard and succeeded, I do care about how the people on the team who have sacrificed so much are effected. Browner and Thurmond put at risk YEARS of hard work and preparation by hundreds of people in the Seahawks organization and on the team. They also have stuck it to long suffering fans, all out of selfishness.

And it's not like this caught them by surprise. I mean, how selfish and stupid can you be?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Like it or not coaches are judged by the conduct of their team.

As a tug boat captain I am responsible for my crew. I can't control ever aspect of their behavior but I do set the tone. What they do reflects upon our vessel. If they are disrespectful slobs it casts our boat and our company in a bad light. If one of them fails a drug test it makes all us Mariners look bad and reinforces stereotypes.

With the position of Captain I take on more responsibility, fair or unfair, then others in my field. Pete Carroll is captain of that ship and it's his job to set the tone and keep it on course. Fair or not he will be judged by how his players behave. It's his position and it's expected of him.

He will be the first to tell you this.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Much like a QB, the coach gets extra praise when things are going well and extra scorn when there are issues.

Hopefully, this will tighten the bond within the team as they and their coach are derided by outsiders. Teams are great at leveraging the us vs them feeling (Ravens practically patented the mentality).

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm more pissed off because instead of getting to read all sorts of cool stories about how our team is awesome and headed for the big one, I have to listen to and read a bunch of negative press. That harshes my mellow, and part of the SB fan experience is getting to hear all about how awesome my team is.

Does it matter as much as winning games? Obviously not. But it still is a big suck.

As far as Pete goes, he gets paid to handle it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":34pwhwp7 said:

As a tug boat captain I am responsible for my crew. I can't control ever aspect of their behavior but I do set the tone. What they do reflects upon our vessel. If they are disrespectful slobs it casts our boat and our company in a bad light. If one of them fails a drug test it makes all us Mariners look bad and reinforces stereotypes.

With the position of Captain I take on more responsibility, fair or unfair, then others in my field. Pete Carroll is captain of that ship and it's his job to set the tone and keep it on course. Fair or not he will be judged by how his players behave. It's his position and it's expected of him.

Actually, no, he won't. Not that you are wrong with your comparison, but Pete really and truly loves to be the 2nd and 3rd chance guy. In his presser he straight out said it may happen again.

I think Pete is willing to take the hits from the media if it means giving people extra chances. He really believes it matters.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":vbsozscr said:
Tech Worlds":vbsozscr said:

Actually, no, he won't. Not that you are wrong with your comparison, but Pete really and truly loves to be the 2nd and 3rd chance guy. In his presser he straight out said it may happen again.

I think Pete is willing to take the hits from the media if it means giving people extra chances. He really believes it matters.

Then I am correct. He will be the first to tell you that he needs to do a better job with the guys. He is positive and holds himself and the team accountable. Pete understands the responsibility of his position. It's more than x's and o's.

Shock2k

Reaction score
All I know is that just like the team is going to pull together for the big game with New Orleans, we as fans need to circle the wagons and pull together for the team. That means highlighting the positive which is the other 51 members (and soon to be 53 members of the team). This is two guys, two guys we lived without last year as people like Lane and Maxwell stepped up.

Pete Carroll, John Sneider, the coaches the players are not responsible for what other players do. This absolutely does not call into question leadership, it call into question the choices of 2 individuals.

Go Hawks! Personally I'm "All In"

rideaducati

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3oa81n2c said:

That is all fair and good, but at the same time, the mediots didn't blame Harbag for all the dui arrests the niners have had.. I never heard a word on any media outlet blaming Shanahan for all the PED suspensions in Washington. Hell, I haven't even heard of another suspension for PEDs this year from ANY team.

This is big news because the Seahawks are on top of the heap and this is just a way to knock them down a bit. This too shall pass. Winning the Superbowl will make all of these things go away...just ask Bill Belichick.

strohmin

Reaction score
I don't know about you all, but I am loving this attention. I don't care if they smoke weed. I don't give a crap about image as long as were winning!

irocdave

Reaction score
Was Jimmy Johnson responsible for Michael Irvin's escapades? If the media was interested in perspective they should talk to him about the Cowgirls of his era.

Pete does represent the Hawks and has an image problem because of his days at USC. No way around that. Drafting and recruiting players to the Hawks that have character flaws is why this is happening. Personally I don't care as long as it doesn't hurt the team and doesn't turn out like the Hernandez situation. The Mediots are going to try and discredit the Hawks no matter the situation until the Hawks have a large enough fan base nationally to make it in their best interest to not do so. Same as it's always been.

At least Browner and Thurmond were not caught sitting in their crap brown Olds passed out at a red light.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
I am completely fine with our coaching staff's ability, style and how they work with their players and I'm sure stoked with our team...and our record speaks for itself in a huge way. A couple of lapses in judgement here by some players late in the season does suck and the consequences are playing out, but otherwise we are in a pretty good position with the state of our team. Having met Pete a few times personally, he sure has me believing in his positive coaching style and his "always compete" mantra. In fact, I am not only fine with it, I am thrilled and consider us one of the luckiest franchises in some prime years that most teams can only wish they were having.

Whether I can control or even worry about what the media thinks or says...? I say they will come around, but until then, all I hear is "blah, blah, The Seahawks need to blah, blah, blah". Remember, next week this same media will be talking about Mylie Cyrus and whether her tweaking on the today show is appropriate. Pete, keep on doing your thing, I personally want to thank you for being here to lead our Hawks to greatness for our fair city and the 12th man fans.

Go hawks!