Pete Carroll, Seahawks silencing critics

Rainger

Reaction score
Whenever I see. Chadiha write about Carroll, I can’t help but dig up this gem from 2010
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4816051
I remember that story. Couldn't stand the writer, all of his writing was like that he hated the Hawks and PC and I wouldnt read his stuff. Havent seen that since I read it and turned him off. Thanks for the share. Memories.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

Near the end these two in the video began making crap up as if Pete has changed because of the criticism.

Pete really hasn't changed. He simply now has a QB who understands what is expected and can do what is asked to maintain ball control down the field until it's time to take a shot at the end zone.

Clearly some here and in the media cannot accept the fact that Pete Carroll has always had a set of beliefs based in study, science, and experience and not in what some person thinks on a forum or in a video feed or on cable tv.

Pete is flexible in approach when the study, science, and experience call for it.

No coach is perfect and great coaches like Pete Carroll make adjustments as necessary to correct errors. We have see that very clearly with the defense from the early challenges to week 8.

Some Pete critics will never accept the truth. But most people who aren't so tied to a negative visceral emotional response towards Pete can see the truth now that was always there to see.

toffee

Reaction score
Near the end these two in the video began making crap up as if Pete has changed because of the criticism.

Pete really hasn't changed. He simply now has a QB who understands what is expected and can do what is asked to maintain ball control down the field until it's time to take a shot at the end zone.

Clearly some here and in the media cannot accept the fact that Pete Carroll has always had a set of beliefs based in study, science, and experience and not in what some person thinks on a forum or in a video feed or on cable tv.

Pete is flexible in approach when the study, science, and experience call for it.

No coach is perfect and great coaches like Pete Carroll make adjustments as necessary to correct errors. We have see that very clearly with the defense from the early challenges to week 8.

Some Pete critics will never accept the truth. But most people who aren't so tied to a negative visceral emotional response towards Pete can see the truth now that was always there to see.
Have you ran your opinion by fade and J63?

hoxrox

Reaction score

Absolutely. I think something that flew under the radar is that the Seahawks FO bolstered the analytics staff this past offseason. Two staffers were hired specifically to take various data streams and create a statistical analysis of situations.

Is this why, for example, they were more aggressive on 4th down last game? Is it partly why Waldron is having more success calling plays, based on the analysis of down and distance situations, tendencies, etc?

Interesting bit from the article:

When asked in prior years about how the Seahawks use analytics, Carroll was usually coy, mostly just acknowledging that Seattle used analytics. Seattle has an analytics team on the business side of the franchise, but getting a handle on how it’s used on the football side has proven a challenge.

Now, the oldest coach in the league who will turn 71 in September, is a little more open about it.

“We start from the basics charting our own stuff, and then analyzing our own so we know what our tendencies are, know what our opponents tendencies are, all that normal, typical stuff,” Carroll said.

“Although we do it better now and we can do it more specific ways. There’s really no limitations. Only in our ability to come up with ideas and how we want to look at stuff because the data is in there.”

Carroll said the idea of bolstering staff was part of the message from owner Jody Allen during meetings following the end of last season.

“She made a point a while back that let’s make sure that we’re staying at the cutting edge, and I said, ‘heck yeah,’ whatever that may be,” Carroll recalled. “She was the first back in February to make a statement about it so people jumped at it. … We made room and we created the opportunities for people and she was totally behind it.”

This is an example that Pete is indeed flexible in his approach, and can adapt to today's game.

Mick063

Reaction score
The common talking head narrative is that Pete is a "rah rah" guy whose schtick only works with young players. That Pete doesn't have the brilliant football mind of some of these young prodigies. All of the talking heads picked up on it and routinely spread it as gospel.

Pete has been coaching longer than some of his peers have been alive, and folks are trying to convince us that he has some type of "lesser" football knowledge. They are trying to convince us that only young players can be inspired by his enthusiasm.

You know what? It is all a bunch of made-up crap. It really is. It is lazy journalism and we consumers should recognize that our collective intelligence is being insulted with the product that these self-perceived experts are selling us. They watch 45 minutes of Seahawk highlights a week, listen to a few malcontent words from former butt-hurt players, and think that they have Pete all figured out. To make it even worse, some of Seattle's own fan base buys into this crap and then brings it here. Reinforcing the talking head's fantasy world even more.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Absolutely. I think something that flew under the radar is that the Seahawks FO bolstered the analytics staff this past offseason. Two staffers were hired specifically to take various data streams and create a statistical analysis of situations.

Is this why, for example, they were more aggressive on 4th down last game? Is it partly why Waldron is having more success calling plays, based on the analysis of down and distance situations, tendencies, etc?

Interesting bit from the article:

This is an example that Pete is indeed flexible in his approach, and can adapt to today's game.
I think a big part of it is that Pete and the team now has a QB who can see the whole field, identify the defense, change the protection, audible to a more effective play based upon what the defense is showing, and make all the throws.

Watching Geno sling it I am really amazed. He throws darts and has touch. How did he not have the opportunity to be a starter before now. I respect him for not giving up and continuing to work to improve. His perseverance is about to give him a well-deserved payday barring something unexpected.

No QB is 100% and the defenses are paid a lot to beat the offense, but the current iteration of the Seahawks feels so much different even when there is a low 3rd down conversion rate.

Pete had belief in Geno and once the opportunity was really there Pete has been proven right thus far.