Where do YOU want to see improvement for Rams game?

Tokadub

Reaction score
K so I think this game tomorrow is extremely important. Not just for the obvious #1 HFA advantage, but I think we need to make a statement. I want the rest of NFC to know they have no shot to beat us at home. I want them to look at this game and witness that the giant has awakened in Seattle and will not sleep until we have the Super Bowl won. I think we will win, but I'm not sure we will win in dominate fashion which I think is EXTREMELY important both for our coaches, players, and opponents state of mind going into the playoffs.

So if you'd like you can list what areas of our game you want to see improvement on or what you think is most important for us to do well. I'm going to attempt to order mine based on how important I think it is.

1) Run Game I know I've probably been one of the most vocal people on this forum to point out our run game struggles since the 49er game. But I do not want us to abandon the run at all, I just want us to mix it up with our offense to be as effective and unpredictable as possible. I was mainly complaining about our play calling with Bevell.

I think it's very important that we establish a dominant run game. If we have to run a few 2 yarders to get it going so be it. But I want to see some good running plays, find the weakness in their offense and exploit it. We need to keep them off balance with both our pass and run game. I think we might need to speed up our offense a little to accomplish this, no more waiting till 2 seconds on the play clock.

I really want to see Lynch go for 100+ rushing yards and making it look effortless. We will need some creative plays getting him outside, and I'd like to see Michael Robinson have a bigger roll like last year.

2) Passing Efficiency I think we need to do whatever it takes to get Russell back in rhythm. I'm not concerned about us getting big plays down field at all, but we should take a few shots down field especially if we are running the ball well.

I want us to show the offensive ability and intelligent play calling where we can easy sustain touch down drives and march it down field with short and mid distance passing. I really think we need to see Russel have a very high completion percentage, and very few 3 and outs.

3rd down conversions is also very important, but hopefully we play well enough that we are getting 1st downs on 1st and 2nd plays.

3) Offensive Line I know these guys aren't going to somehow just magically recover from many injuries and become an unstoppable force overnight. But they need to play a very solid game with both protecting Wilson and helping our run game.

No more guys running through the line of scrimmage untouched and hitting our runners in the back field. Hopefully no more Wilson scrambling a little too early since he does not fully trust them.

This might be an unrealistic goal against the Rams but if we can do it that would be a huge statement going into the playoffs.

4) Penalties Like the offensive line gaining super powers overnight, I think it is unrealistic to believe we will completely solve this problem. But I do think this will be important for us to improve on for our Super Bowl run.

Hopefully we see no more delays of game, false starts, face masks, holding etc.

If we get any penalties hopefully it's one where we are just thinking "What?! That was a weak call barely anything there".

I think if we can do those things and have a comfortable victory our mental edge heading into the playoffs, and our intimidation factor playing at home will be hugely increased. Arizona played like they knew they could win, we don't want our next opponents coming in here with that belief.

Even our fans may need a slight slap in the face to wake up, let 100% know we are the real deal. We need them to be absolutely crazy in the playoffs with no doubt of our victory even if we get off to a slow start.

Kaepernick in particular seems to be somewhat weak minded and I want him coming here scared in the playoffs.

Feel free to add your lists of what you want to see us do tomorrow or comment on mine. I would like to know what others are thinking about this very important game tomorrow.

PryorFamily

Reaction score
I think we need to do three things and it's mostly on offense.

1) Sustain drives. Way to many 3 and outs the last few weeks. They need to take shots down field but only when the opportunity is truly there. I'd LOVE to see more screens, short to intermediate passes, and just racking up first down after first down. It seems like it's been all or nothing lately.

2) Red Zone efficiency. When they get close, they HAVE to put points on the board and I'm taking about TD's. With our defense, a two TD lead would be tough to overcome in the Clink. We can't let teams hang around by not putting them in a hole early.

3) Penalties. They have to be more disciplined. Period. We will lose a playoff game giving up 100+ yards in penalties.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
PLAYCALLING on the offensive side of he ball!!!!!!!!!!!! Predictability on that side if the ball was the major reason for the last 2 losses IMHO. We need the GOOD Bevell (the guy that was calling plays in the NO game) not his evil twin who we saw the last 3 weeks. The whole playbook needs to be open and need to let Wilson run the ball at times to keep the defense off balance.

Wilson has to be better, and the receivers need to quit dropping the ball. The O-line has to block better.

Defense (I'm looking at you LB's) need to stay in their gaps and not over pursue on run plays, need to pressure Clemens at all times and force him to make mistakes.

A

Anonymous

Sports Hernia":2fpt7ho6 said:
PLAYCALLING on the offensive side of he ball!!!!!!!!!!!! Predictability on that side if the ball was the major reason for the last 2 losses IMHO. We need the GOOD Bevell (the guy that was calling plays in the NO game) not his evil twin who we saw the last 3 weeks. The whole playbook needs to be open and need to let Wilson run the ball at times to keep the defense off balance.

Wilson has to be better, and the receivers need to quit dropping the ball. The O-line has to block better.

Defense (I'm looking at you LB's) need to stay in their gaps and not over pursue on run plays, need to pressure Clemens at all times and force him to make mistakes.

True story: I had a post typed-up which virtually duplicated this one. /\

My thoughts exactly. Nice SH.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's simple:

Run game. If we can establish the run, our offense works. When we can't, it doesn't. When we are running, it forces the defense to make some changes they really don't want to make, and that's when we hurt them over the top. When we can't run, they can drop an extra guy back in coverage and we can't hit those big shots we live off of.

Penalties. If we can stop the stupid penalties (procedural on offense and defense, facemasks, illegal formations and delay of games) we'll stay on schedule. I'd like to see 6 or fewer penalties this game.

WRs dropping the ball happens. With us, it seems to be contagious and comes in bunches. The WR corps we have is usually pretty sure handed; I'm not worried about continual drops.

I'd like to see Wilson be more efficient and see his open reads, but if we're running the ball, this takes care of itself. This is a longer term issue, but if Russ really is the study demon we all hear that he is, he'll see it and correct it.

PryorFamily

Reaction score
In terms of play calling, do you guys think there's any chance that once they clinched a playoff birth, that they started prepping some packages and schemes that they do not want to use until playoffs? Here's why I think it's possible.

It's quite possible that BOTH teams we'd have to beat in the playoffs to reach the SB will be rematches. It's much harder to beat a team 2-3 times in a season. Familiarity gives advantages. Look at the AZ game. We may be playing SF for the 3rd time and Carolina \ NO for the 2nd time. Having some new wrinkles and packages is really important and there's no reason to let the cat out of the bag yet and give film on it.

It's a risk but it seems at least "possible" that there's some validity to this. We HAD to win the NO game on Monday Night and that was the best play calling and most balance we've seen all year. The last 4 games have been much more Vanilla with no real injuries affecting the personnel packages.

And please don't light me up on this without thinking it through. Teams holding back or not showing certain looks happens all the time sports even at a High School level.

chris98251

Reaction score
You come out hard and fast this game and make the Rams play catch up, you don't really even have to oppen the playbook up if you instill your attitude and execute out of the gate. Making Clemmons play from behind and pass the ball is what we want them to do. Coming out flat and lethargic is what will get us into trouble and then it's a game of who throws the biggest punch last.

plyka

Reaction score
This game is the most important game in Wilson's career.

A) A win and you get a first round Bye and HFA throughout the playoffs
b) A loss and you have to go on the road and win 3 games, probably at places like: Phili, 49ers, Carolina/Saints. That's not happening.

Winning this game is basically the difference between getting to the superbowl and possibly winning, or losing in the first round or 2nd round. It is a massive game. One that will decide our season.

They need to do 2 things:

1) Allow Wilson to run more. On MOST plays in the Arizona game, Wilson had a chance to tuck the ball and run for 10-15 yards. He took advantage twice, one went for 27 yards the other for 5 yards. 5 yard runs are very good, depending on situation.

2) Diversify your playcalling, especially on 3rd down. If it is 3rd and 3, why not try a run? Why not a quick pass? What you don't do is chuck a 50 yard bomb, because that's a low percentage play, and it's 3rd down.

Mitch

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell: This is not our #3. Russell can throw the long pass, but he is capable of so much more. Let the kid play ball!

GIFSoup

chris98251

Reaction score
plyka":ew02jgno said:
This game is the most important game in Wilson's career.

A) A win and you get a first round Bye and HFA throughout the playoffs
b) A loss and you have to go on the road and win 3 games, probably at places like: Phili, 49ers, Carolina/Saints. That's not happening.

Winning this game is basically the difference between getting to the superbowl and possibly winning, or losing in the first round or 2nd round. It is a massive game. One that will decide our season.

They need to do 2 things:

1) Allow Wilson to run more. On MOST plays in the Arizona game, Wilson had a chance to tuck the ball and run for 10-15 yards. He took advantage twice, one went for 27 yards the other for 5 yards. 5 yard runs are very good, depending on situation.

2) Diversify your playcalling, especially on 3rd down. If it is 3rd and 3, why not try a run? Why not a quick pass? What you don't do is chuck a 50 yard bomb, because that's a low percentage play, and it's 3rd down.

Well I have confidence that we could win even if we took the hard road, I won't write them off as losers becasue of lack of home field advantage. I prefer having it, but I think on the road we pull out all the stops. We were close last year on the road, I think that we learned from that and it showed this year during the season. If we don't get HFA I still will be backing this team while others may start looking at draft sheets it seems.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If I just said "offense" would that save me typing out multiple paragraphs?

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I re-watched the Saints game yesterday, and the one thing I noticed is an entirely different offense. I want the offense that I saw in that game. I know it was pretty close to the same guys so it isn't impossible.

Tical21

Reaction score
I really have one thing I want to see. Find a way to get them out of press coverage with a single high safety and 8 in the box. If we cannot complete the necessary slants, fades, and corner routes to get them out of this, we're not going to find the space we want in the running game, and Russell is going to take a beating. If they want to run press man with no help over the top, hit Lockette deep. Take the top off. Hit Baldwin on a deep one. They'll change their plan, and everything else will open up as we want.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Kixkahn":2s6alizt said:
I re-watched the Saints game yesterday, and the one thing I noticed is an entirely different offense. I want the offense that I saw in that game. I know it was pretty close to the same guys so it isn't impossible.

I'd like to see the Rams team that played the Saints show up on Sunday too. :)

tdlabrie

Reaction score
If the Rams load the box to stop Lynch, and I have no doubt they will, I'd like to see Bevell call some quick passes -- over the middle, straight to the side, screens, whatever -- until we've punished them so much they back off the box.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1qk4kqq4 said:
Sports Hernia":1qk4kqq4 said:

True story: I had a post typed-up which virtually duplicated this one. /\

My thoughts exactly. Nice SH.
Great minds think alike! :thirishdrinkers:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
A WR that can actually get open...Not sure Robert Quinn and co. can be stopped by our o-line. This game is going to be tougher than what a lot of people think. Hawks win though...