Why Do Opposing Fans Hate Pete Carroll?

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I understand the hate for other coaches like Bilicheck who is an a-hole to the media or Rex Ryan who can be a jerk to the media....

With that said... Pete has never stoop to the level of those guys. I never seen him look down on reporters and talked to the press like a jerk before. Not to mention he has been classy his who time in Seattle. I never heard him talk bad about any teams or players or throw anybody under the bus. He doesn't whine, make excuses, or complain after a loss.

Why do opposing fans dislike the man? Cause he chews gum? They assumed he cheated at USC? In my opinion PC is all class..

falcongoggles

Reaction score
haters gonna hate. I think this was recently discussed in another thread and the biggest take away was success. Someone pointed out that no one hated New England before they started winning.

Throwdown

Reaction score
People hate success, it's why we hate the 9ers, why we hate the Yankees, lakers, cowboys.

There is no such things as loveable winners, only losers... Unless you're a fan of the team that's winning of course :D

253hawk

Reaction score
Jealousy. You can't tell me you wouldn't love to see your coach bouncing around on the sidelines and celebrating with your players unlike all of the other robot coaches that just stand there (or constantly act like a petulant man-child, e.g. Jim Harbaugh.) He took a franchise that everyone laughed at, gutted it, drafted Okung, Earl, Tate, Thurmond, Chancellor and McCoy, traded for Washington and Clemons, won the division at 7-9 and punched the Super Bowl champs in the mouth with Beast Mode and made everyone doubting us (the whole nation) look stupid. In his first season.

And I think a lot of people carry over hate for him because of the dominance USC had. The west coast is the extreme minority of the sports world as it is, but especially in college football. Whole lot of butthurt from all of those midwest/south/east cost fans who treat college football as their religion and got their egos stomped.

pmedic920

Reaction score
If you ask me, I'd tell you that I think the vast majority of it stems from a very poor understanding of what did or didn't happen at USC, and their perception of PC's role in it.
And.
As others have said, his success.
I hate the SEC. Not for any real reason other than, I'm an old Pac10 fan.

grizbob

Reaction score
Throwdown":vq6hz27p said:
People hate success, it's why we hate the 9ers, why we hate the Yankees, lakers, cowboys.

There is no such things as loveable winners, only losers... Unless you're a fan of the team that's winning of course :D

I disagree Throw, my disdain for the ninners is because of their A hole loud mouthed "we got 5 rings" fans, not cause of their winning. Yankees cause of their owner, same with the Cowboys and Raiders. I am jealous of the Patriot fans though.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I didn't much like him when he was at USC, but that's mostly because I don't like USC. He's a guy you love when he's running your team and a guy you can't stand when he's on the other side of the field because he's so successful.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Success, as others have said. There's a perception that he's arrogant because people misunderstand the entire Win Forever, do it better than it's ever been done before concept, especially when he says that "it's not about them it's about us." People seem to be annoyed by his "antics" on the sidelines, equating his joy and energy to arrogance and showboating.

What happened at USC is part of it too. There are so many misperceptions out in the sports-fan public at large that it's ridiculous. Many people never bothered to get the real details of what happened; they just read the surface crap that was in the press and have assumed Pete and his program were dirty. There are still a large number of people who think USC was paying players, even though that was never even alleged by the NCAA. "They gave Reggie Bush a house!" Um, no. And of course they assume he left to run away from sanctions, which isn't true at all.

It's also normal to want to "demonize" your opponent and "lionize" the team you favor. I see it in every fandom, including ours.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I can probably answer this question because I am a big Notre Dame fan, and I, along with most ND fans couldn't stand Carroll while coached for USC.

When you are on the losing end of a Carroll coached team, his energy and enthusiasm comes off as smug and arrogant. Your team is getting their butt kicked and he is out there high fiving and smiling and having a great freaking time. It is really annoying to watch. His teams also have an edge to them that screams arrogance and cockiness. While at USC I always felt that the arrogance helped them in big games, but also caused them to lose a game they shouldn't. Hopefully, this team comes up big in the playoffs, which I think they will.

HawkStar3

Reaction score
They claim he cheats (peds and paying Reggie)
They claim he is arrogant (the way he chews gum?)

Bottom line though, he wins.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Oh boy, a lot of thoughts here. I made one of these comparisons before.

I grew up in the midwest, went to Kansas State. Like the Seahawks, we were once the laughing stock of college football, only far worse. In 1989, we were in the midst of a 30-game winless streak. We were the only team in the history of college football to have fewer than 300 wins and greater than 500 losses. We sucked, pure and simple.

Then along came Bill Snyder. Most people know about how he turned our football program around. Do you know all the charity work he does? Tons of it. Do you know how interactive he is with fans? Do you know the stories of his grandfatherly kindness, of how when our DC's wife died tragically in the late 1990s, Snyder would let the guy's kids sit in his office and color in their coloring books so they could be with "family" (he preached a family atmosphere in the program)? Just a good, unassuming, kind man.

But when we got good enough to beat OU, CU, and NU, guess what we got from those big-time programs? "That Snyder guy's an a-hole!" "What a jerk they have down at K-State!" "Something about that old geezer I don't like!"

Success. That's all it is. Funny, but when the NFL was realigned and Seattle moved from the AFC to the NFC, I imagine Rams and 49ers fans were looking at the Cards and Seahawks and saying, "Well, there's four guaranteed wins every year," just as my Alma mater used to be the one "guaranteed win" on everybody's schedule. When a team gets good, for opposing fans it's like betting black on an all-black roulette wheel only to have the numbers turn red mid-spin. That's not supposed to happen!

So yes, the Carroll hate is all about success. We are a petty species, and nobody likes a winner unless we are the winner. [For the record, Coach Snyder's record against Pete Carroll when Carroll was at USC was 2-0]

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
People think he ran from the problems at USC and thus should suffer for the rest of his life. They also think he's smug and overconfident and are insecure when they see that in another person.

I like PC he's unique.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
They hate him because he's not coaching their team. I'm sure some Husky fans have warmed to him since he brought his swagger to Seattle.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The success is a major part of the hatred, but you don't see success stories like Pagano drawing the same loathing, so that doesn't explain it all.

I submit that another large part of the hate is from fans of college programs that weren't as successful as USC was during the Carroll years. Somehow these college fans attribute the mediocre-to-poor records of their teams during that period to Pete Carroll's 'unfair' ways. It's easy to rationalize that 'Pete the Cheat' ran his program unfairly and was out there writing checks for Reggie Bush's car/house, and naturally those 'cheating' ways extended to the rest of his recruits. They don't care to study the facts of the ream job USC got from the NCAA, which was based upon very few facts other than a shady deal between Bush and an agent that the school and no way of monitoring or controlling.

His 'cheating' naturally has transferred to the NFL, because how else could he be so successful so soon, with so few first-round picks? Certainly not through hard work, innovation, superior scouting or anything of that sort, right? Oh, and further proof that he still cheats is that the rash of Adderall suspensions. Heck, Coach was probably walking around the locker room passing the stuff out like candy. And if that isn't enough reasons to hate him, there's more.

He has the audacity to walk along the sides smiling, chewing gum, high fiving his players and getting the crowd pumped up. Doesn't that make you just want to 'punch him in the face?!' Yeah, I thought you would agree! Hopefully Schiano will still be available when we reach the off season. We need a serious, uncharismatic guy that scowls and screams on the sideline to lead this program. That way we can have a guy who conforms with how head coaches are expected to act. :th2thumbs:

Eat it, NFL, we have a winner who's BALTY !

Mindsink

Reaction score
If we make the Superbowl, I see a gum commercial in the future for Pete.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
He's animated. When someone like that is beating you, your disdain for them is amplified ten-fold.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
Because he wins, and smiles while doing so. He is like a kid in a candy store when he's out there. The success brings hate, and he's had more than his share of VERY SUCCESSFUL seasons. At both levels. Pete is the man. It'd be awesome to have a beer or six with the guy.

Njhawkboss

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie when he was in USC I wasn't to fond of him but I love him with the seahawks lol..also sometime it looks like he's to happy

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
I don't hate PC. But when he ran to GT after the Fail Mary and literally skipped to the pile, I definitely was pissed off. No other coach in the league does that.

Other than that, I don't have a problem with him