THE PORTLAND SUPERBOWL VIEWING THREAD

EasleyMemories

Reaction score
All Portland (and nearby area) please list any and all Super Bowl parties/happenings/events you know of here on this Portland thread.

Please give detailed information on directions, costs, what to bring if anything, and any contact information etc especially if you are inviting 12s to your own party or big event.

Lets all get together and do this !!!

My opinion on the restaurants :

BlitzLadd East side: will be absolutely crazy packed but has the biggest screens in the downtown area and the most of them and maybe the best atmosphere for the game but will have a limited gameday menu (I called 'em)

NEPO42: is too small for a lot of us, the tvs are small here, and though the food is really good the service is really lacking in my opinion and parking can be an issue here and the seats are uncomfortable as well, not really a football place in my opinion.

Big Als: has the biggest screen in the entire area and will be an absolute madhouse as well, the staff is lacking in service here too, but it has the easiest and most parking but is not too good for anybody using public transportation as it is so far out there.Has a so so menu and beer choices.Can also bring the whole family here as they have bowling and games for the kids while you watch the game

On Deck Sports Bar: tons of smaller and medium sized tvs but I do not remember any big ones here.Food is not that good here and service is lacking.The staff is kinda uptight I feel.

Buffalo Wild Wings: Downtown/Beaverton: big screens here yes, has lots of room as well, but not that great of food at all, but will be fun here anyway if we take it over and has plenty of space and a surprisingly decent decent beer list for a chain.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
You mean there are fans of the Seahawks in Portland, not just a bunch of haters masquerading as Cowpatty, Whiner, etc. supporters?

It NEVER ceases to amaze me that a city 180 miles away could sport so many people that don't like the Seahawks. There are even media guys who can't mask their contempt (yes you Wilcox and you Big Suck on 1080 TheFan).

So then Portlanders, are you just jealous that Seattle has a team and you don't? I guess this is a rhetorical question considering I am posting it on a Seahawks board. And in reality, I do know the ratings for the Hawks on TV are better than for any other team, but the element of dislike is still much stronger down here than it should be considering the proximity of the 2 cities.

OP
OP
E

EasleyMemories

Reaction score
Seahawks1983 I would go to Spirit of 77. If we get enough people we could reserved a specific area of the place with the management.I have three people myself included.

Yes there are fans in Portland.REAL true diehard from the beginning fans that were in the Kingdome in the beginning when we were 8 years old.We came down here for work or got married or whatever reason.Been a fan since the very first year when my dad took me to my first game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
EasleyMemories":oi3sly33 said:
Yes there are fans in Portland.REAL true diehard from the beginning fans that were in the Kingdome in the beginning when we were 8 years old.We came down here for work or got married or whatever reason.Been a fan since the very first year when my dad took me to my first game.
It's not the transplants that I'm really referring to, it's the natives who I just can't fathom their dislike of the Northwest's team. And obviously it's not all of the natives either e.g. JSeahawks.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1m0i482p said:
EasleyMemories":1m0i482p said:
It's not the transplants that I'm really referring to, it's the natives who I just can't fathom their dislike of the Northwest's team. And obviously it's not all of the natives either e.g. JSeahawks.

The hatred of Seattle is borderline mind boggling among certain segments of Oregon natives. I'll never understand how any native Northwesterner could ever choose to root for anything from California.

OP
OP
E

EasleyMemories

Reaction score
I looked at photos and the website for Spirit of 77 and it seems that Blitz Ladd has more room and more tvs
Leaning towards there as a gathering

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":u154ywa3 said:
hawksfansinceday1":u154ywa3 said:
EasleyMemories":u154ywa3 said:

The hatred of Seattle is borderline mind boggling among certain segments of Oregon natives. I'll never understand how any native Northwesterner could ever choose to root for anything from California.

It's kind of weird, but Portland is a city that revells in it's role as a place for the homeless, "dirty hippies" as my son calls some, and the other end is the hipsters (which IMO is a group of people that aren't homeless that enjoy acting douche-ish).

I see a TON of Hawks fans down here. Portland isn't really a football city though...maybe they just disdain the Seahawks because they're not playing soccer. Being up in Seattle during the divisional round, it was amazing how the entire city showed Seahawks pride. Driving up I-5, you could see it the closer you got to Seattle.

To be fair though....driving though Olympia you didn't see a lot of Hawks swag and signs. Tacoma not much better. Portland is just it's own beast and they definately have a little brother complex to Seattle as a city. As individuals, most people don't really have a strong opinion.

I also have a hard time getting behind a city that allows homeless people to do pretty much whatever they want and where it's illegal to sit down and drink a pitcher of beer by yourself (yes, you actually have to have 2 people to order a pitcher of beer).

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawks46":227sofoz said:
Seahawks1983":227sofoz said:
hawksfansinceday1":227sofoz said:
EasleyMemories":227sofoz said:

It's kind of weird, but Portland is a city that revells in it's role as a place for the homeless, "dirty hippies" as my son calls some, and the other end is the hipsters (which IMO is a group of people that aren't homeless that enjoy acting douche-ish).

I see a TON of Hawks fans down here. Portland isn't really a football city though...maybe they just disdain the Seahawks because they're not playing soccer. Being up in Seattle during the divisional round, it was amazing how the entire city showed Seahawks pride. Driving up I-5, you could see it the closer you got to Seattle.

To be fair though....driving though Olympia you didn't see a lot of Hawks swag and signs. Tacoma not much better. Portland is just it's own beast and they definately have a little brother complex to Seattle as a city. As individuals, most people don't really have a strong opinion.

I also have a hard time getting behind a city that allows homeless people to do pretty much whatever they want and where it's illegal to sit down and drink a pitcher of beer by yourself (yes, you actually have to have 2 people to order a pitcher of beer).

You're obviously a West-sider or a Lake Oswegan considering your non-football complaints.

Also, who complains about not being able to drink a pitcher of beer by themselves?

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
Caught the Atlanta game at Henry's in downtown PDX this year and was impressed. I would say 95% Hawks fans, 5% fans there to see other games. No real Seattle haters around that I could see. I have spent considerable time in Portland throughout my life and I have never gotten the sense that they hate Seattle. They just happen to be in between us, CA and Denver, so there is a mix of fandom.

I will say that at times Portland has had a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to Seatown. Big city/small city type of thing. But now that Portlandia has made them the hipster capital of the world, they have nothing to complain about anymore. Our flannel and skinny jeans suck their flannel and skinny jeans dick apparently.

OrFan

Reaction score
Oregon is kind of mixed up. I was born and raised here and have been a Hawk fan since day one.

A lot of people came from California in the 70's and 80's. It got messed up down there, and expensive. They saw Oregon as being nice, pretty, and cheap. Flocked here in huge numbers. The Oregon campaign to visit and go back home was started. A lot of those people still cheer for California teams.

I think this is why so many are still fans of the Niners, Raiders, Rams (they were in LA at the time). The Seahawks were the new kids on the block and the opposing team.

That migration reminds me of this song.

[youtube]y44kz0ZctoE[/youtube]

OP
OP
E

EasleyMemories

Reaction score
Okay so then ...

Do any other Vancouver WA and PDX area fans have any specific plans then ?

Are you guys even going out for the game or are you all staying at home ?

Is nobody interested in a big group meet up "takeover" thing at BlitzLadd ?

JGreen79

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3lrs6jb6 said:
You mean there are fans of the Seahawks in Portland, not just a bunch of haters masquerading as Cowpatty, Whiner, etc. supporters?

It NEVER ceases to amaze me that a city 180 miles away could sport so many people that don't like the Seahawks. There are even media guys who can't mask their contempt (yes you Wilcox and you Big Suck on 1080 TheFan).

So then Portlanders, are you just jealous that Seattle has a team and you don't? I guess this is a rhetorical question considering I am posting it on a Seahawks board. And in reality, I do know the ratings for the Hawks on TV are better than for any other team, but the element of dislike is still much stronger down here than it should be considering the proximity of the 2 cities.

Yes I used to get made fun of in the 90's for being a hawk fan at school. Never went to a game in the kingdome but went to seahawk stadium twice. My dad is a cowpoke fan my brother, grandma, uncle are whiner fans. Been a fan since 92 dominating with Jacob green in tecmo Super Bowl.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am staying home! In my neighborhood people were shooting off fireworks 10 minutes after the immaculate deflection ! :D

seahawksmagic

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":15r17nh8 said:

Are you ignoring the incredibly awful years the Seahawks produced where they were shown EVERY WEEK on television in Portland? That is the reason so many people have detested the Seahawks. We were forced to watch a horrible team week after week for years. Nobody wants to back a loser!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawks46":qejtu7s2 said:
..........Portland is just it's own beast and they definitely have a little brother complex to Seattle as a city.....
This is my feeling as to why so many Portlanders/Oregonians are haters when it comes to the Seahawks. To me it's a basic inferiority complex as Seattle is the northwest city that is in the national conscience and had the first major league team and had all 3 at one point and so on and so forth.

Remember, if you live down here, I urge you to give your radio ratings to 750 AM not 1080 TheFan as the 2 biggest Hawk haters in Portland media, Justin Wilcox and Jason Sukanic (Big Suk..I call him Big Suck) work for that station.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
seahawksmagic":3oap65td said:
hawksfansinceday1":3oap65td said:

Are you ignoring the incredibly awful years the Seahawks produced where they were shown EVERY WEEK on television in Portland? That is the reason so many people have detested the Seahawks. We were forced to watch a horrible team week after week for years. Nobody wants to back a loser!
Nope, not ignoring it. Northwest team good or bad. I didn't quit rooting for the Hawks during the 13 years I lived in San Diego and that was during the very lean years. There were no Seahawks when I was growing up and I rooted for the Chargers, Raiders and Packers but as soon as the Hawks came into existence THEY were my team and would be for the rest of my life even though I grew up in Spokane which is nearly twice as far from Seattle as Portland is (albeit in the same state). You say that "nobody wants to root for a loser". I say that makes those people fair weather fans and PDX is full of them.

Portlanders can root for whomever they want and hate whomever they want. I just find it sad that the only team in the Northwest has so many haters in a city 180 miles away and in a state that neighbors the team's state.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I still remember Fox 12 Oregon bumped a couple of Seahawks games so they could show Joey Suckington and the Detroit Lions.