Random Thoughts™ on the Broncos SB slaughterfest

kearly

Reaction score
General thoughts on the game as a whole:

They say that defense wins championships, and those who back such a notion certainly added a feather in their cap today. There is evidence to support it, as teams with better defenses have done slightly better in the postseason than teams with better offenses. But to me, this Super Bowl wasn't about offense vs. defense. It was about toxic differential. This game was the poster child for why toxic differential should be considered the most important stat in football.

Denver: 4 turnovers. Seattle: 0. Denver also got creamed by explosive plays, including one play that was both a turnover and an explosive TD wrapped up in one unlikely MVP package.

This game also shows that preseason games, when dissected intelligently, are not always totally meaningless. In two preseason games, Russell Wilson absolutely destroyed their defense, including their starting defense this very preseason. Normally in a 2nd preseason game, the starting QBs may play a series or two and then leave. But this August, the Seahawks and Denver kept their starters in all the way til half time, and the Broncos did not hold back on defense at all. Those teams knew they might face each other in the SB, and they used that first half to get a feel for each other by playing real football. After that buttkicking of a loss, John Elway ripped his team a new one in the visitors locker room. Clearly, the powers that be in Denver did not view that August meeting as meaningless football.

And though Manning abused guys like Antoine Winfield to the tune of 10 YPA, and a flukey play made a 14 point swing in Seattle's favor, it was pretty clear who dominated when the starters faced off in that game. There's also the fact that the preseason winner of a SB matchup is now 5 for 6 in the big game. Seattle against Denver the last three meetings: 30-10, 40-10, 43-8. Some of that is preseason noise, but the dominance of our roster top to bottom vs. their roster top to bottom is pretty hard to deny.

I think we owned the matchups in this game and though I didn't predict 43-8, I thought Denver would have to bust their butts to break 20 points, and I expected Denver's defense to look exactly like Atlanta's defense in last year's playoff game (something Brock Huard mirrored on his radio show Thursday). I also expected Denver's dead last ranked kickoff return coverage to have issues with Percy Harvin, and boy did they. I even predicted that Lynch would struggle, and that it wouldn't matter. Just like that Atlanta game. Except this time, Seattle wouldn't utterly screw up the entire first half.

I know this sounds crazy, but about 30 minutes before kickoff I felt totally relaxed, and honestly, this game felt like it went entirely to plan from start to finish. It just felt like a totally normal game that actually just went the way it was supposed to for once without any batshit crazy random detours from hell. I couldn't believe how unremarkable it felt. It was the least stressful game of the entire season. And when Seattle won, there was no emotion. It just kind of felt like, "alright, one down." Maybe it's because our team is full of robots and cold blooded serial killers that I've learned to trust them when they are clearly playing their brand of football.

On paper Seattle is not this much better than Denver, but they own the matchups and they own them hard. This game was never in doubt, and really, everyone picking Denver to win in a cakewalk should be ashamed of their lack of football knowledge. I know it's harsh, but it's just true. Anyone who knows football knew this game was going to be uphill for Denver even before kickoff.

Malcolm Smith gets MVP. I would have thought Wilson deserved it more (122 QB rating), but you know media types and their love for counting stats. They couldn't just give it to the entire defense, so they picked the guy who was at the right place / right time the most often, and that happened to be Smith. I want to remind you all that Smith also happened to be Mr. right place right time guy on the final meaningful play of the NFC Championship game. And in that sense I can only feel happy for him that he had the incredible fortune to be where he is today. A guy who probably isn't even in the NFL right now if Pete is still at USC (Smith weighs just 226 pounds). Smith is actually a pretty damn good defender who's been making plays for years, but of all the Seahawks to make big plays in this game, his story might just be the most unlikely, at least on the defensive side.

If it were possible, I would have loved to have seen the 12thman get the MVP award. I don't think there was a bigger impact on this game that was talked about less than the crowd noise. We heard the stories here on .net, about how NYC was dominated by Seahawks fans. Before the game began cameras panned around the crowd and it was a sea of blue with just a sprinkling of orange here and there. Once I saw that, my confidence in this game skyrocketed, and I already figured Seattle would win by 10 points.

Here is the unsung story of the game for me. When you take an NFL team to Seattle, you know that you won't be able to audible as you normally would. It's impossible, so you have to get creative to salvage as much audible potential as possible. You call two plays in the huddle, then hand signal to switch them. Or you come up with some other way of going to an audible that doesn't require hearing. Or, like the 49ers did, you just scrap audibles completely to avoid procedure penalties. Teams that go to Seattle know they have this extreme disadvantage, so they prepare for it.

Super Bowl crowds are notoriously neutral, and even when one fan base has a considerable advantage I don't think I've ever seen a fan section loud enough to actually disrupt audibles in a Super Bowl. Not until tonight. Manning is the most audible dependent QB in NFL history, and he looked uncomfortable and frustrated calling audibles all game long. By Manning's own admission, the botched snap safety on the game's first play was a direct result of crowd noise. Denver did not at all anticipate crowd noise being a factor, and their being unprepared for it had as much to do with Seattle's defensive dominance as anything else.

What a perfect game. Lynch may not have done much but Seattle ran the ball well enough. Wilson had another 120+ passer rating, 8.1 YPA game that gets completely overlooked because he didn't break 300 yards, Percy Harvin was a HUGE factor despite barely touching the ball, our receivers gave a great team effort (8 seahawks caught a pass), special teams was scary good and the defense looked as punishing and as dominant as ever. Seattle dominated toxic differential, just like they have the past two seasons. Even the 12th man was a major force. And this was to win THE SUPER BOWL. Not just any Super Bowl either, but one of the most hyped and intriguing Super Bowls of all time with the whole world watching. Led by a coach and QB who are like a Disney movie storyline come to life.

Random observations from the game:

-I had a lot of back and forth messages with Scottemojo this past week talking matchups. The one turd he put in my "Denver has Atlanta's defense" argument punch bowl was that Denver loves to blitz, and that Seattle has struggled with the blitz this season. Well, probably from a fear of earthquakes, the Denver defense seemed pretty keyed on Lynch from the get go, and after Harvin nearly killed them on a couple of fly sweeps, that defense was officially sweating bullets. I don't know if it was because of the respect for those two players, but I noticed that Denver seemed incredibly reluctant to blitz in this game. Wilson had all the time in the world to throw, leading to a series of "pitch and catch" completions just like the Atlanta game. Their dedicated spy LB was about as fast and about as nimble in the open field as a geriatric Brian Urlacher, and when Wilson wanted to run, he was able to make big plays on command. That defense stopped Lynch, but they couldn't stop anything else.

-I'm pretty sure there is a "Turbin rule" in the NFL rulebook. One of those zillions of half-baked new rules Goodell has come up with. The rule states that Robert Turbin must never travel more than 15 yards on any carry. If he goes 20 or 25 or 50, it's a clear violation of this rule and a 10 yard penalty will be enforced from the line of scrimmage.

-Maxwell just loves to grab and interfere, even when totally unnecessary. We're probably going to hate him for it when the refs start calling everything that even hints at PI when the regular season returns. But the spirit of Browner lives on strong with Maxwell. Not just his physicality, he just has a knack for forcing turnovers, and his forced fumble on Demaryius Thomas was 100% intentional and a great play.

-Walter Thurmond played pretty well this season I think all things considered, but he had at least a few D-U-M-B defensive plays/fouls in this game. Going to be interesting to see what his future holds this offseason as a free agent.

-Denver runs a hurry up offense designed to make defensive substitutions difficult. Few teams substitute players more often on defense than Seattle does. I thought it was interesting how good of a job Seattle did of getting their guys on the field in time. I also thought it was interesting seeing the number of Seahawk injuries skyrocket in this game, particularly of the "wind got knocked out of me" variety. If you catch my drift.

-If you don't regularly listen to Bill Simmons podcasts over at Grantland I would urge you to do so during football season. This past week Simmons and his co-host "Cousin Sal" talked about various Super Bowl betting odds, highlighting how wacky and specific they can be. Their favorite bet was the 100-1 odds that a Super Bowl would either begin or end with a safety (could be slightly wrong but that's what I remember the condition being). They brought it up because even though it sounds like a complete sucker bet, the strange truth is that two of the previous three Super Bowls had actually had this event happen. And one snap into XLVIII, it became three out of the last four. Unreal. I instantly remembered that convo after the play and how those guys made such a huge deal about it. I laughed my ass off.

-Seattle made so many mistakes, and at least in the early going it felt like the officials had it in for Seattle as well. There were numerous big plays wiped out by holds and numerous 4th downs wiped out by silly defensive penalties, as well as a boneheaded offsides on 3rd and 3 (all good calls as far as I could tell). What wasn't so great was seeing Wilson getting jobbed of a first down on that first drive, even after Seattle challenged and the video evidence could not have been any clearer that he made the mark. It at least deserved a measurement, but wasn't given one. Total horseshit. There was also the TD that Marshawn got that Seattle didn't challenge. Lynch successfully scored on the next play. There was one PI that Earl got away with in the 2nd half, but otherwise the officiating strongly favored Denver in this game.

-That Seattle had all those breaks go against them and still dominated 43-8 is just that much more remarkable.

-Broncos WRs can block. Seattle's ability to swarm to the football was of critical importance in this game, and I don't think they could have been much better than they were in that regard.

-The media can suck it. Wouldn't you know it, after the game the leading storyline at NFL.com was that Manning choked. Really guys? Really? I don't know what game they were watching. Here on planet Earth, I watched Manning deal with constant pressure all game long yet was only (just barely) sacked one time (on 4th and 11). Time and time and time again Manning made throws with pressure literally inches away, throws that were precise and usually completed. Manning actually played a hell of a game. Our defense was just THAT good. Give credit where credit is due. After the game a reporter asked Manning if he felt embarrassed. Manning was pissed at the question, as he should be. Denver actually didn't play all that bad of a game. They just got their asses kicked by one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. It's just as simple as that. Maybe it will take some people a few years to see it that way, after Seattle has ripped off their 4th SB win under PC/JS, but it's a truth plain as day to me.

-It's so much fun to watch Russell Wilson against teams without athletic LBs. It just seems so easy. Unfair, really.

-As has been mentioned ad naseum on NFL network. The safety to open the game occurred exactly twelve seconds into the first half. Harvin's kick return TD occurred exactly twelve seconds into the second half. Not only was this game perfect football, it was symbolic too. How about that?

-Once again, Harvin hardly touches the ball and has a huge impact. He's quickly becoming the Earl Thomas of the offense. He's not a guy who sees a ton of action, but when he's on the field, the unit as a whole just rises so much, it's kind of ridiculous. Kam Chancellor is beginning to ascend into this territory as well.

-Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett had monster games even though the stat sheets won't show it. Clemons was the lone Seahawk to get a sack. We couldn't get a ring for Trufant and Hill last year, but we got one for Clemons and Mike Rob in what is probably the tail end of their careers. That is so cool. I bet Antoine Winfield must feel perturbed right now.

-Jermaine Kearse stepped up big. So did Angry Doug Baldwin. Golden Tate burned us with one of his numbskull spins, but it's all good.

-Wilson did not have those serial killer eyes to open the game. He looked nervous. His first pass, with no pressure imminent and his target open by several yards, sailed well over Zach Miller's head, and Miller isn't a small guy. After that, Wilson snapped out of it and pretty much dominated the entire game.

-Great job by the run defense, especially in regards to forcing TFLs. There is still room for improvement, but that said, this is just about the most perfect defense I have ever seen.

-KJ Wright had a very nice game, his style of play was strikingly similar to Kam Chancellor's.

-One of my favorite things about this win is how it cements the NFC Championship Game as one of the greatest of all time. Sherman's rant might have been forgotten in ten years had Seattle lost today. Now it will be immortalized, a part of NFL lore.

-Seattle's secondary is so ridiculously good. Watching this game, I began thinking of them not as the "legion of boom," but as the "legend of boom." The way Kam and Earl have raised their games this season, this is a legendary backfield in the making.

-Wilson becomes the 3rd youngest QB to win a SB. Of course, he's also the shortest QB to ever win one too.

-The TV commercials were just so-so this year. I think Rob Riggle might have found his calling, though.

So there you have it. For the first time in 35 years, a major Seattle sports team is a world champion. For many of us, including me, this is the first such event of our lifetimes. What amazed me was just how routine this felt. We got one, but it just feels like the first of many.

With this win tonight Russell Wilson now has the highest winning percentage in NFL history. In two seasons he's had 4 post season wins. If he plays 15 years and maintains that average, he'll finish with 30 postseason wins. The all time winningest postseason QB of all time is Tom Brady. He has 18 wins. Joe Montana is second place, with 16. Peyton Manning has 11.

Today is the brightest day in Seattle sports history. But I truly believe this show is just getting started. We are at the dawn of not just the best team in Seattle sports history, but very possibly one of the greatest teams in NFL history. I used to think Seattle was the next 90s Cowboys. Then I thought we were the next 80s 49ers. Now, I'm starting to wonder if we might see this team enter uncharted territory. Tonight was just one championship, but the writing is on the wall. Something very special is happening with the Seattle Seahawks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
What wasn't so great was seeing Wilson getting jobbed of a first down on that first drive, even after Seattle challenged and the video evidence could not have been any clearer that he made the mark. It at least deserved a measurement, but wasn't given one. Total horseshit.
Agree 100%. We were screaming at McCauley after that non-change of the call.

And yeah it almost felt like a letdown because the Hawks had such control of the game from the very beginning. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the hell out of it but a bit "routine" indeed.

I wish the whole defense could've been MVP. They deserved it.

Thanks as always Kearly.

davidonmi

Reaction score
yes Maxwell does grab, a lot, but he does it effectively.

Wilson was ravor sharp on 3rd down, played with confidence poise.

Every time a denver player went over the middle he got popped, love that.

Chancellor is quickly becoming my favorite seahawk of all time

Laloosh

Reaction score
I love you, Kearly... Sad that I will have to wait for more random thoughts.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Great write up Kearly as always. The NFL is a copy cat league...stand by for all the pretenders. It reminds me of Bob Sugar in Jerry Maguire; he goes in for the hug, but just doesn't quite get it.

Hawk n Load

Reaction score
"Turbin rule"--nice. He's lost at least a hundred yards on holding calls. Strange, really.

I thought the refs called a good game, actually. Not measuring on the challenge was weird, and had me swearing at the TV, but if anything, the Hawks got the benefit of a few non-calls throughout the game.

A successful Seahawks game in the Carroll era is a brutal beat-down followed by a long, slow strangulation. Not fun for any but us loyal fans. After 30 plus years of waiting, it was a beautiful sight for me. Denver's offense and defense alike seemed unwilling to hustle and work hard by the mid-2nd quarter, as if all the hits had already gotten to them.

hawk45

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly. Several times when watching Wilson escaping the pocket I thought, he's having a field day out there against a D without the LBs to contain him. Easiest game he's played in a while, even had some time in the pocket. Nice to see our young Jedi have such a relaxing atmosphere to net his first Lombardi.

MVP to the D all the way.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Excellent Kearly!

"The starting left CB for YOUR Jacksonville Jaguars, Walter Thurmond III..."

amill87

Reaction score
kearly":33zl41h0 said:
On paper Seattle is not this much better than Denver, but they own the matchups and they own them hard. This game was never in doubt, and really, everyone picking Denver to win in a cakewalk should be ashamed of their lack of football knowledge. I know it's harsh, but it's just true. Anyone who knows football knew this game was going to be uphill for Denver even before kickoff.

All this week, I was trying to see a way Denver could've won. There just was no scenario other than our offense turning the ball over multiple times. Media types like to refer to match ups often and they are wrong almost all the time. The match ups in this game weren't even close, the Broncos had zero advantages.

It's funny, my brother and I were talking last night about how it just feels right that we are in the super bowl. It just feels right that we won. As the game came to an end, some of the louder people around me asked me if I was even excited, I yelled and screamed during the big plays but towards the end, like you Kearly, I was pretty calm.

hawk45

Reaction score
I was numb to pleasure by the end of the game. The 2nd half was pure football porn.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Biggest reason for the win, no YAC. The Broncos thrive on those short routes and getting yards after the catch. Our boys gave them none.

Hawk n Load

Reaction score
Regarding the MVP choice, I think you simply had to go with defense. A thinking man could've made the case for Kam, and a contrarian the case for Avril, but Malcolm Smith definitely deserved it.

Had Harvin scored another TD, he might've gotten it.

Wilson? He was brilliant. But his TDs came when the game was already done, and while he was clutch, he did struggle early in the red zone. I know you've long loved RWIII, but as a team win, the MVP is most fitting with a role player from this d.

cesame

Reaction score
I echo the sentiment about this being the most relaxing game of the year.

The entire game I just watched in a complete state of relaxation. Completely confident and never worried, as were most of the other people around me. We just knew the Seahawks were the better team. It was just like any other week because of that.

The one and only time we really erupted was after Percy Harvin returned the kick. That's when the celebration began and the last 2 quarters was one big celebration while watching the Seahawks continue to kick the crap out of the Broncos. The absolute best way to watch the Seahawks win the SB. Weird at the same time because by the time the game was over there was nothing else left to say.

amill87

Reaction score
Reaneypark":cntc1z1i said:
Biggest reason for the win, no YAC. The Broncos thrive on those short routes and getting yards after the catch. Our boys gave them none.

In hindsight, what a stupid strategy for the Broncos. When you go for a short passing game, you will run more plays. When you run more plays, the likelihood of our defense making a play just increases. It goes with Kearly's thought process on toxic differential. The only way you beat our defense is with big plays.

It's why I felt so confident about this game. The entire Bronco's offense is ONLY a short passing game. Build a lead and run the clock down and suddenly they can't take 6+ mins a drive to score.

Exittium

Reaction score
IF walter thurmond didnt collide into Kam, we'd have a shutout IMO.

Also Idk why people keep forgetting about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Metropolitans

We've had 1 other impressive .. HISTORICAL win. "They won the Stanley Cup in 1917, becoming the first American team to do so. They played their home games at the Seattle Ice Arena."

HawkFan72

Reaction score
So much good stuff, kearly. There were about 10 points you made that I said "I want to comment on that".

There's so much good stuff that I'm just going to say "good job" and say I AGREE.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Awesome write up as always. I love ya mann, I love all you fellow 12's tonight. I absolutely could not see how we could lose this game either short of a complete melt down which we all know is not this teams MO. All of denver's weaknesses are our strengths....we truly are their kryptonite. I was very excited before the game but certainly had that solid confidence that I just can not remember having most the rest of the season.

Love the "Turbin Rule" name and I agree whole completely....so odd.

I also agree on the officials for the most part, though there was an offsides called I believe on Sweezy that looked to me the D actually jumped causing him to move which would have been a first down for us. Also, some bad blatant holds(tackles) in denver's backfield that went uncalled and I would be fine with if not calling those on us. Overall not horrible thought.....I have certainly seen much worse.

I just loved the way the whole team contributed and played outstanding in all phases.....offense, defense, and special teams.

So jacked right now, no sleep. Grats all and party on.

Go Hawks!!!