Golden Tate: I'd take a little less money to stay

Hawknballs

Reaction score
don't have any direct quotes, was just in the car enjoying my jimmy johns..

golden tate says he'll message to his agent that he'd rather take a little less money to be able to stay and win for fans who appreciate it than breaking the bank to go somewhere else, as long as he didn't feel the offer was disrespectful.

He didn't want to speak for anyone else but he said the vibe is that players on the Seahawks want to win.

I get the feeling that as long as these guys make a fair contract they would rather stay.

themunn

Reaction score
Depends what he considers disrespectful though.

Our biggest problem keeping everyone isn't going to be the cap space that Percy Harvin takes up, but the fact that nobody else on the team is going to get a contract his size, but might be looking for one relative to it

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
razgriz737":6587e2q3 said:
That is beyond cool. Now it's time to see what his definition of "disrespectful" is, haha.

NFL players can develop such huge egos which are "stroked" by the media. Thank God....most of our players are realistic and grounded on terra firma!

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":20pkvte4 said:
Bet his agent made the message disappear.

then he can make his agent disappear and find another one.

HawkWow

Reaction score
More than once this year he has become almost melancholy in expressing his fondness for the team, franchise and desire to stay a Hawk. Add a big target (or two) this off-season, take care of Doug next year, and we should be set for quite some time at the position. Great news. Despite the mini-drop off this post, we may not be here without his efforts this year. GT is a baller.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I am pretty confident Tate is gone.

What he thinks is a little less is still going to be twice what Seattle wants to pay him.

We have to get some size into this receiving core. Harvin is going nowhere and I think Baldwin stays as well.

I like Kearse but more as a 4th receiver.

Plus too many other people need to get paid.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
He better not think hes worth more than a couple million because for the most part he was silent in the postseason. I thought Kearse and Baldwin were better than he was.

lsheldon

Reaction score
And what is the source of this information, Jimmy John's? Radio? Tweet? Hobo on the corner?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like Tate and I'd like him to stay.

He's not the biggest guy, but he consistently wins jump balls. I think him disappearing was really Wilson getting into a bad groove because of the OL. We like to blame the WRs, but there were many instances where receivers were open and Wilson missed them.

The nice thing about this is that, regardless of winning a SB, Wilson will hit OTAs studying tape and looking on how to improve himself.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
irfuben32":280jgfmi said:

What he thinks is a little less is still going to be twice what Seattle wants to pay him.

We have to get some size into this receiving core. Harvin is going nowhere and I think Baldwin stays as well.

I concur with all of this. I was watching Jeff Garcia and he said that PC was going to make a bunch of bad re-signings because he was emotionally attached to his guys. News flash-this squad will cut your ass in a heart beat if your salary isn't compatible with their scheme. With that in mind, goodbye Tate, I will miss your awesome punt returns.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I never expected anything different and would be shocked if Sherman, Thomas or Wilson think any differently. These guys want to make history over pure money. In today's environment the money will come if you're the reason for a dynasty regardless.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I have a relative who lives in Indianapolis, and apparently the sports radio shows down there are clamoring for Tate to come there this off season. Normally I would chalk it up to just a pipe dream, but with him going to Notre Dame it might hold some water. Its no doubt they need WR's, hopefully they don't make our offer look like crap.

StoneCold

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":133lqvaz said:
He better not think hes worth more than a couple million because for the most part he was silent in the postseason. I thought Kearse and Baldwin were better than he was.

Pretty sure every team put their best corner on Tate. He was quiet for the same reason receivers covered by Sherman are quiet. He was taking one for the team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
irfuben32":3npdangu said:

Sometimes this place just pisses me off. If you think he's getting huge money you're foolish. He's a number 2 receiver it's not going to take alot to sign him, 5-6 million probably.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm just so torn on Tate. I love what he brings, but the size of the overall receiving corps is a real issue. Will they really tie up millions of cap space to be locked into a sub-5'11" receiving group? Doug's RFA status makes his re-signing a no-brainer. Tate is the most difficult decision of this off-season. A group consisting of Percy/Doug/Kearse/2nd-3rd Round WR/Lockette wouldn't be too shabby, but we're counting on good health. Tate is the most durable of the group. Tough, tough decision.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Tate has progressed every season in some way as a contributor. He also returns punts and is really reliable in that situation. We do need some size in there though. I like the guy, but it is a business.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1szmf8g5 said:
I have a relative who lives in Indianapolis, and apparently the sports radio shows down there are clamoring for Tate to come there this off season. Normally I would chalk it up to just a pipe dream, but with him going to Notre Dame it might hold some water. Its no doubt they need WR's, hopefully they don't make our offer look like crap.

That would be a great Offense for him.

Some team is going to throw a lot of money at him. He's a playmaker and one of the best punt returners in the league.

Going to be hard to keep him with our budget.