Golden Tate: I'd take a little less money to stay

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I am curious what the market is for Golden.

He is not Devin Hester at returning kicks, he is not going to be a #1 anywhere, and I think most GMs would rather look (like many here) with a guy with more size. Pay Tate or draft a big kid that costs squat.

Tate stays.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I love Golden Tate, But I'd try to go for a 4 years 14-16 million. I wouldn't go over 4 million for him. IN any case I think it's clear they will try to draft a Big - 6-2, 6-3 WR in the draft to replace Sidney Rice. If He feels disrespected with that kind of contract than I think we move on and hope Lockette and Phil Bates continue to develop with the draft pick in the mix.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
These guys only have so many chances to cash in, I'm not mad at any of them that leave if they are paid better elsewhere. People cannot expect a hometown discount just because its " our " team or because they won a championship, because of our fanbase or anything else. This happens to every team that gets into the Super Bowl even more so if a team wins it, other teams will over paid for those players on the open market.

I hope Golden stays I love watching him play but he has to do what's best for himself and his family, like any NFL player his career can be cut short at any time so were he to take much less to be a Seahawk then have his career end his earning days in the NFL would be over and he'd be out millions.

He deserves to get paid, he was part of a team that helped us win a championship I have nothing but love for the guy no matter what happens in the offseason.

ceej22

Reaction score
falcongoggles":4olo2rtb said:
irfuben32":4olo2rtb said:
I am pretty confident Tate is gone.

What he thinks is a little less is still going to be twice what Seattle wants to pay him.

We have to get some size into this receiving core. Harvin is going nowhere and I think Baldwin stays as well.

I like Kearse but more as a 4th receiver.

Plus too many other people need to get paid.

I concur with all of this. I was watching Jeff Garcia and he said that PC was going to make a bunch of bad re-signings because he was emotionally attached to his guys. News flash-this squad will cut your ass in a heart beat if your salary isn't compatible with their scheme. With that in mind, goodbye Tate, I will miss your awesome punt returns.

That is an ignorant statement by Garcia. Had he done a little research he would have seen all the USC PC has cut and noticed that they cut Robinson...F'ING ROBINSON...a leader on this team that had the respect of all his peers. Talk about not letting your emotions get in the way.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Another way to look at this (for me anyways) is to look at who, from the receiving corps is hitting FA this year. Right now that is Baldwin, Tate, McCoy and Helfet. So those are the main priorities. McCoy and Helfet could both be had for peanuts, though McCoy is the only one IMO worth keeping and only if he's healthy. I would think that Baldwin and Tate are both going to be worth around 4-5M to the Seahawks maybe more on the free market.

Then I look at who is left under contract that we either want to leave alone, restructure or cut. For me this is Rice and Miller territory. I would like to restructure Miller and possibly Rice but only if he's healthy. I think Millers base for 2014 is around 4.8M and Rice is 8.5M. In any case I could not see paying either of them more than 4.5M, essentially the same as Baldwin and Tate. The fact that all of the above now have rings might add to their marketability, so it might be tough to keep them at that level.

Kearse, Luke Willson, Lockette and Walters are all on meager rookie contracts still at ~600k so these guys are no brainers. Juries still out on Walters for me.

The rest of the roster, Bates, Clark, Helfet are all still on rookie contracts and will be fighting for their jobs at camp, although they will all be doing so with a huge ring on their fingers!

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
irfuben32":25u7ap37 said:
I am pretty confident Tate is gone.

What he thinks is a little less is still going to be twice what Seattle wants to pay him.

We have to get some size into this receiving core. Harvin is going nowhere and I think Baldwin stays as well.

I like Kearse but more as a 4th receiver.

Plus too many other people need to get paid.

Damn I don't think this was cold blooded New England. If Tate will work with Schneider than I think they stagger out the money so everyone gets paid. I agree that Seattle needs bigger WR's but Tate plays his position well breaks tackles, blocks and returns punts like no one else in the league.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
It would not surprise me one bit to hear almost the entire team say essentially the same thing. This team loves it here, they love playing for Coach Carroll, and they love their Twelves. That does translate to something.

And those saying he'll be gone, don't be too sure of it. He's not going to get huge offers elsewhere that we can't come close to matching. Nobody's going to offer him a ridiculous contract because he hasn't put up the ridiculous numbers to merit anyone doing that. What he has done is take the heat off our other receivers, man up and take one for the team all year long. He's run the tough routes against the number one defenders, opening up lanes for the other receivers, and blocking down field. He's done what is needed to win a championship. Yes, it's come at the expense of selfishly inflating his own numbers or crying about wanting to inflate them. He knows what's up, and so do we. We really want him back because of what he brings to the team, and he really wants to be here.

We'll find a modestly reasonable price that we can both agree on, and he'll be around. He's due for a big raise, and he'll get it. He just won't get an inflated salary we can't afford, and he won't go elsewhere to get one when we'll give him fair value here.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'd sure hate to lose Tate. He got a lot of attention from the best corner this year with both Harvin and Rice out of the picture, and still managed to kill some games (Rams was silly both times).

Like others, since we have the ring I'll wish him well if he can go get better than 5 mil per. That or more than that is a little rich although a more pass-happy team I think Tate might just be worth that to. It's more our scheme and other upcoming contracts that makes me balk at 5 for Tate.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I've decided not to speculate on this stuff anymore, it'll make me go nuts, but I will never blame a player for taking more money elsewhere. There is nothing guaranteed in the NFL when it comes to these guy's careers.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":329svztp said:
I like Tate and I'd like him to stay.

He's not the biggest guy, but he consistently wins jump balls. I think him disappearing was really Wilson getting into a bad groove because of the OL. We like to blame the WRs, but there were many instances where receivers were open and Wilson missed them.

The nice thing about this is that, regardless of winning a SB, Wilson will hit OTAs studying tape and looking on how to improve himself.
This^
Tate has his off games, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, but when he's not playing decoy, he's been money on YAC.
Welker isn't any better that Tate, and Tate can juke every bit as well, + Tate has been great when the chips were down.
Everyone expects him to catch about 80% of the passes when he's on the field, but, Our Offense isn't built to focus on any one Receiver to get the bulk of the targets, and the spreading the ball around seems to work the best for us.

12evanf

Reaction score
Tate and Wilson are pretty good pals as well. Rice was our tall receiver, Tate was never suppose to be. I say sign him and draft a big receiver and maybe we can work some UDFA magic at the position too. Also, I remember Tate talking about being developed in Seattle and how he imagines all environments are as cool and relaxed as Seattle when he knows that can't be. I will be shocked and disappointed if he walks.