I love the way we used Harvin

Crizilla

Reaction score
Props to bevell. We never threw it to harvin. Just had him run the ball and return kick offs because he probably had the feeling Denver would try and pull a saints bounty hit on him right after he caught passes in the middle of the field. Very smart way to use him. Use his speed, not his hands. The more I watch this game, the better it gets. It was a flawless game plan and so beautifully executed.

also, how clutch was russ on 3rd down? My god

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Listening to Mike and Mike and they were just speaking with a guest (I missed who) who was predicting that NFL DC's would look to counter RW and Lynch next season by adding faster line backers. He said that and I immediately thought 1. There isn't a olb fast enough to beat Percy to the corner and 2. faster line backers will get out of position faster too. knowing that, any misdirection with Percy should stretch a defense pretty wide and open up things much more for Lynch.

gulliver

Reaction score
Agreed on the game plan. Love how we didn't stop throwing it when we had gotten 36. Bevell drove me crazy throughout the year but what the Super Bowl showed is that, whether intentionally or not, we HAD been holding back and were capable of a lot more offensively. Hope to see aggressive games like that a bit more next year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
brimsalabim":19mnzmhv said:
There isn't a olb fast enough to beat Percy to the corner and 2. faster line backers will get out of position faster too. knowing that, any misdirection with Percy should stretch a defense pretty wide and open up things much more for Lynch.
There's no LB or CB or S that can beat Percy to the corner.

It's going to be VERY interesting to see what Pete and Bevell develop as plays off of a fly sweep motion look.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3vudk5z1 said:
Listening to Mike and Mike and they were just speaking with a guest (I missed who) who was predicting that NFL DC's would look to counter RW and Lynch next season by adding faster line backers. He said that and I immediately thought 1. There isn't a olb fast enough to beat Percy to the corner and 2. faster line backers will get out of position faster too. knowing that, any misdirection with Percy should stretch a defense pretty wide and open up things much more for Lynch.
I heard that too. And laughed. What are they going to do, go down to the Lavonte David factory and buy a full set of speedy linebackers? Linebackers with safety speed don't grow on trees.

It took Seattle 3 years to replace slow/and or dumb linebackers with Wagner, Wright, Smith, and Irvin.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The timing on the first play was just perfect with the snap and handoff getting to Percy in stride. If teams go faster at linebacker to counter Wilson, if that means they sacrifice size, that will make it easier to pound between the tackles with Lynch

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":oqgn0h8b said:
Props to bevell. We never threw it to harvin. Just had him run the ball and return kick offs because he probably had the feeling Denver would try and pull a saints bounty hit on him right after he caught passes in the middle of the field. Very smart way to use him. Use his speed, not his hands. The more I watch this game, the better it gets. It was a flawless game plan and so beautifully executed.

also, how clutch was russ on 3rd down? My god

We actually threw it to him twice, both quick passes, one to the right and one to the left. The one to the right he caught and gained 5 yards. The one to the left, he dropped and Denver challenged it because they thought it was a lateral. They lost.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":rm2bn1xc said:
The timing on the first play was just perfect with the snap and handoff getting to Percy in stride. If teams go faster at linebacker to counter Wilson, if that means they sacrifice size, that will make it easier to pound between the tackles with Lynch

Agreed, the timing was excellent. Knighton didnt even know who had the ball, lol. Crazy thing is, we haven't even seen anything as far as how Percy can, and will be used.

More than not throwing percy the ball tho, is just the qb looking out for his receivers and not leading them into huge hits. I dont think it was an instance of 'dont throw percy the ball', but instead was just skmebody else was open. Beyond that tho, you can't really "protect" Percy when he's playing. Its just the aggressive nature of his play. Like on the second fly sweep, he finished it by trying to run through the defender.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What I liked about how Bevell used Harvin is he didn't commit the same mistake he did in the NO game, which was to expose Harvin early with having him run routes out into coverage where he might get hammered.

He got him involved with the jet sweeps and quick bubble screens. Later on Harvin was running go routes, but not early and most importantly NOT across the middle.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35ct78ox said:
What I liked about how Bevell used Harvin is he didn't commit the same mistake he did in the NO game, which was to expose Harvin early with having him run routes out into coverage where he might get hammered.

He got him involved with the jet sweeps and quick bubble screens. Later on Harvin was running go routes, but not early and most importantly NOT across the middle.

Yes, yes, yes, and I think I agreed with this sentiment on a different thread as well. Let me also point out, last week Ivotuk was begging for this (not throwing to Harvin over the middle so he gets killed) and it could not have worked better. You can get a ton of game-changing mileage out of Percy using him like this without exposing him to headshots. He isn't some Welker whose only value is catching a 5 yard pass in the middle. With Harvin you just need to A) keep him HEALTHY, and B) get him the ball. That simple. Does not matter where or how you get him the ball.

I especially loved the play where Harvin flashed across the formation and we faked the jet sweep handoff to him and gave to Lynch instead. You could use that play a million times, handing to either guy, and I would not complain.

irfuben32

Reaction score
hawk45":1q45unyn said:
I especially loved the play where Harvin flashed across the formation and we faked the jet sweep handoff to him and gave to Lynch instead. You could use that play a million times, handing to either guy, and I would not complain.

absolutely, they could literally run that play every snap and I would be happy (with the third option being double fake and Russell keeps it and either runs or throws)

GFang

Reaction score
hawk45":2fokf7x6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2fokf7x6 said:

Yes, yes, yes, and I think I agreed with this sentiment on a different thread as well. Let me also point out, last week Ivotuk was begging for this (not throwing to Harvin over the middle so he gets killed) and it could not have worked better. You can get a ton of game-changing mileage out of Percy using him like this without exposing him to headshots. He isn't some Welker whose only value is catching a 5 yard pass in the middle. With Harvin you just need to A) keep him HEALTHY, and B) get him the ball. That simple. Does not matter where or how you get him the ball.

Yup, that's a great way of putting it. Protect the guy and you will get game-changing mileage week in, week out. Credit to Ivotuk for his post. Also, in his random thoughts thread, Kearly made an excellent observation that Harvin is a guy who won't necessarily see a lot of action (balls thrown his way), but his mere presence (like Earl) elevates the opportunities of everyone around him. Call it the Harvin AURA if you will.

themunn

Reaction score
I think the best thing to do with Harvin is to use him as that decoy running routes over and over and over again.
DBs will cheat to him and we will punish them with our other options. As soon as they think he's a decoy and play it safe we hit him for a big gain and punish them again.

That's the Pete Carroll way, and Wilson is the perfect QB to make it happen.

cacksman

Reaction score
They did exactly as I had hoped they would with Harvin. Get him on screens and end arounds where he can get down before getting cracked by the defense, AND using him as a decoy in the passing game.

I thought that if Harvin played the entire game as just a decoy he would still open up the rest of the offense to make a huge difference.

This team has a serious chance to go undefeated in 2014 if Harvin stays healthy all year.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Harvin is ridiculous. I cannot wait to see that guy on the field in 2014.

The funny part is that we won a Super Bowl with him and the other teams STILL don't have a lot of video.

He was the running game. I can't believe how he almost scored on that first run where he touched the sideline. If he stays in that is 6.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I am just happy everyone is giving him love, finally!

IMO, he was the MVP in this Super Bowl. That would have been more real if that sweep went for 6 like it should have. :)