Restructure Red, Clemons, sign Allen and let Bennet Walk

BlueBlood

Reaction score
This is by far my #1 choice for the off season in regards to the defensive line. Am I the only one concerned about giving Bennett 8-10 million per year at the age of 28? A deal like that is likely going to make him a Seahawk for 5 years and into his mid 30s. Consider what other contracts are coming up beyond this season I believe bringing in Allen for 1 or 2 years Max at 10 million per would be a better move. I just feel like Bennett wants too much for what he's actually accomplished. He was our best defensive lineman no doubt but I don't think that anyone would be able to argue that Allen would have had a much better season. You are talking about a guy that finished with 11 and a half sacks on a defense full of nobodies. Bennett just seems and speaks like a dude that will fold like a house of cards once he signs that big deal. I know everyone is about the money at this level but do you really have to make it so obvious?p He just rubs me the wrong way.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm not sure what left field you are living in but Bennet is the guy that made the D line go. He didn't always get sacks but even the talking heads agreed his pushing the pocket into QBs made all the difference.

He kept Peyton Manning with "happy feet" all day in the SuperB owl, what more can you say?

He was the missing piece that finally gave Seattle a true pass rush. All this talk about $10 million is just that, talk. None of us know what his figure is and are going to have to wait until we hear what is going on between the team and his agent.

Trust me, if you could lose anyone from that line its Big Red. Makes me sad to say that too but its true. To continue to possibly another championship we need Bennet or someone of his caliber. Easier to replace Red than Bennet.

:les:

jblaze

Reaction score
Bennett likely gets 3 years, maybe 4 tops. DE linemen typically hit their peak in the late 20's so he's right in his peak now. He'll go out to market and come back once he realized the market is short once again like last year. I would assume somewhere between 7-8m/yr.

Allen is 31 years old and is ripe for a decline with as many snaps and years he's put in. Plus Bennett can play inside and outside Allen is a straight DE although he does play the run well also. PC/JS love versatility and Bennett the epitome of that on the DL.

kearly

Reaction score
I am fine with bringing in Allen, more than fine with it. I don't think Allen is anywhere closer to being "done" than a 31 year old John Abraham was. But doesn't it seem kind of silly to have Avril, Clemons, AND Allen on the team, especially with Red Bryant taking up one of the DE spots? Seattle also needs some long term security at LEO, and Bennett can be that guy if we need him to be.

As far as Bennett's deal, I expect him to get at least 5 years, though it will be a contract structured to be in effect a 3 year deal with two option years, similar to the one Red signed a couple years ago. For a guy like him, guaranteed money will probably factor larger than salary per year average or length of contract.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I agree with Radish, you keep Bennet, and hopefully they can find a way to lock up Avril next year.
Why would you sign a 32 year old Allen to replace Bennet? Completely different players.
I don't see Pete and John falling into the stop gap, signing aging declining players trap.
Clem is probably gone, as far as Red; we'll see.
This roster will always be in flux, falling in love with certain players is going to be painful for some.
What this front office does is a winning formula, players will come and go.
It is the 'team' that will be constant, the way it should be.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The thing about Bennett is his versatility. He can move inside and be every bit as disruptive, if not more so than on the outside.

I'd love a guy like Jared Allen on our team, but he's a luxury. He doesnt' play inside, so if you let Bennett walk, you'd have to find that inside replacement. Essentially, anyone like Bennett (Justin Tuck is the only one in FA that I can think of) would cost just as much. The only other thing would be hoping we could get a guy like Donaldson in the draft, and I don't know if he can play outside, although he has the measurables (he'll also never fall to 32 now). If we brought in Allen, Clemons would be the one going, as that's Allen's position.

Bryant is the one most likely gone. You can replace his production with Bennett's, who is every bit as good against the run as Bryant was. Rotate Scruggs in to keep Bennett fresh, and we'll likely see the same production with more versatility. Think about it; one guy couldn't get used to Bennett's techniques and moves as you could swap him and a guy like Scruggs or maybe Hill on the line....and all on the same play, against different formations. That's what being flexible brings you.

Also, you're worried about Bennett's age. He'll actually be 29 when the season starts. Nobody is calling Justin Tuck old, and he's 29 right now. DLmen can be productive into their early to mid 30's. THe list is too long to mention, but Allen is what, 32 ? So you're letting Bennett walk because if his age, yet signing Allen to a shorter term deal, even though he's 3 years older. Contradictory.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Let Bennett walk and our D-line will likely go back to how it was before he got here. You know, not consistent or good enough.

Clemons is another year older, and he might be gone.

So Avril is our best pass rusher, and the knock on him is that he shows up big in bunches and then disappears.

So, sounds like our line before Bennett got here.

MVP53

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2c8m5te2 said:
This is by far my #1 choice for the off season in regards to the defensive line. Am I the only one concerned about giving Bennett 8-10 million per year at the age of 28? A deal like that is likely going to make him a Seahawk for 5 years and into his mid 30s. Consider what other contracts are coming up beyond this season I believe bringing in Allen for 1 or 2 years Max at 10 million per would be a better move. I just feel like Bennett wants too much for what he's actually accomplished. He was our best defensive lineman no doubt but I don't think that anyone would be able to argue that Allen would have had a much better season. You are talking about a guy that finished with 11 and a half sacks on a defense full of nobodies. Bennett just seems and speaks like a dude that will fold like a house of cards once he signs that big deal. I know everyone is about the money at this level but do you really have to make it so obvious?p He just rubs me the wrong way.

I really don't think that is a fair accusation to make.

Bennett said he doesn't give discounted effort, so why should he accept discounted compensation? He didn't say money was the only thing driving his decision, just that he doesn't feel he should be short changed. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to mail it in after getting a nice contract.

Throwdown

Reaction score
We've done the old veteran thing before, prefer not to go down that road ever again.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2u4rh5zv said:

Yeah bring in the old guys and let the guy who is in his prime walk.
I've never seen Jared Allen line up at DT and thats what Bennett does.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Raiders are gonna go after JA and they'll probably overpay. Much prefer we keep Bennett on a 3-4 year deal if at all possible.

In PC & JS I trust.

Vetamur

Reaction score
DEs that get pressure and get sacks are vital, but are semi-common, and a rush from the outside can be manufactured to an extent. In the case we are talking about, letting Clemmons go, and putting Irvin back at DE would probably result in roughly the same amount of pressure for less money. A year off from rushing, playing LB has also improved Irvins ability against the run and overall feel for the game so he wouldnt be a liability against the run I believe. We have depth at LB and LBs are fairly easy to find. With Smith emerging we already have 3 starting quality LBs.

A DT that gets pressure and sacks is a more rare breed. Bennett is one of those. Its those rare producers that I believe JS and PC want to spend their money on and I agree with it. Keeping Bennett is vital, its not likely we could replace the production we get from him at DT, plus of course we has flexibility to play outside when we want a BUNCH of pass rushers on the field at the same time.

"Moneyball" is difficult to do in the NFL, but there are certain moves that operate on its principles and I think this is one of them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":1fz7zdmm said:
I'm not sure what left field you are living in but Bennet is the guy that made the D line go. He didn't always get sacks but even the talking heads agreed his pushing the pocket into QBs made all the difference.

He kept Peyton Manning with "happy feet" all day in the SuperB owl, what more can you say?

He was the missing piece that finally gave Seattle a true pass rush. All this talk about $10 million is just that, talk. None of us know what his figure is and are going to have to wait until we hear what is going on between the team and his agent.

Trust me, if you could lose anyone from that line its Big Red. Makes me sad to say that too but its true. To continue to possibly another championship we need Bennet or someone of his caliber. Easier to replace Red than Bennet.

:les:
Correct. I don't like the possibility that we MAY have to go 10 million with Bennett (not likely just possible) but fact is Red is far more easy to replace especially given Pete is in charge.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I've restrained myself from posting on these "chicken little" threads........yes, I said Chicken Little....because that's what these "What are we going to do if...." threads sounds like to me! Grow a set of cojones and face reality....things change on a SB team! Quit the needless.....and, IMO, foolish speculation and let things play out from the Front Office! :thfight7:

Vetamur

Reaction score
Vetamur":1digzn7j said:
DEs that get pressure and get sacks are vital, but are semi-common, and a rush from the outside can be manufactured to an extent. In the case we are talking about, letting Clemmons go, and putting Irvin back at DE would probably result in roughly the same amount of pressure for less money. A year off from rushing, playing LB has also improved Irvins ability against the run and overall feel for the game so he wouldnt be a liability against the run I believe. We have depth at LB and LBs are fairly easy to find. With Smith emerging we already have 3 starting quality LBs.

A DT that gets pressure and sacks is a more rare breed. Bennett is one of those. Its those rare producers that I believe JS and PC want to spend their money on and I agree with it. Keeping Bennett is vital, its not likely we could replace the production we get from him at DT, plus of course we has flexibility to play outside when we want a BUNCH of pass rushers on the field at the same time.

"Moneyball" is difficult to do in the NFL, but there are certain moves that operate on its principles and I think this is one of them.

Well, never mind..according to reports Irvin is staying at LB where we will be stacked with very good LBs (none great in my opinion).

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The only difference I'm making on the line is replacing Bennett with Allen. A 1 or 2 year deal to one of the best pass rushers in NFL history instead of paying a guy that's had two decent years and who is already 28. I can wait to see how high Bennetts number is going to be but I don't like anywhere near 10 million.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3edhl4fl said:
I've restrained myself from posting on these "chicken little" threads........yes, I said Chicken Little....because that's what these "What are we going to do if...." threads sounds like to me! Grow a set of cojones and face reality....things change on a SB team! Quit the needless.....and, IMO, foolish speculation and let things play out from the Front Office! :thfight7:

I never said the sky is falling. Just saying I'd rather keep Red and Clem at reduced cost and find a good plug and play guy like Allen who has something to play for rather than overpaying for a guy that may just have been playing for a contract. Especially if it means we can free up money two years down the road and reload after winning #2.

This was not a doom and gloom thread. Just a thread expressing what I'd personally like to see. And, if a thread didn't include some speculation then what would fun would that be?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Vetamur":1muu02gz said:
Vetamur":1muu02gz said:

Well, never mind..according to reports Irvin is staying at LB where we will be stacked with very good LBs (none great in my opinion).
So our LB's are just good and our WR's are just pedestrian...what next? Our quarterback is barely above average? What? They actually said this already about our WR's and quarterback.... really?

Veilside

Reaction score
My off season wish is pretty much the opposite of this....

Cut Clemons and Red

Sign Bennett and Allen

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Veilside":389bxujx said:
My off season wish is pretty much the opposite of this....

Cut Clemons and Red

Sign Bennett and Allen

Well that's a pipe dream. Maybe Im just overly concerned about being able to sign alllllll the guys I really want to keep.

Are people really that opposed to keeping Reds presence on the line? It's not like after the Superbowl he instantly aged 5 years and is washed up. He's a huge reason why we've been able to stop the run. I'll go on record as saying I want the guy back at a reduced rate because I believe he makes people around him better.