Who makes the hall of fame on our current roster?

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Another thread talking about a possible dynasty in Seattle comparing teams of the past and how dynasties were built on drafting hof players in a short amount of time.
So if Seattle were to turn dynasty on us who makes it?
Wilson is an easy choice.
Sherman
Thomas
Kam
Wagner?
Percy?
What we do know from history is that if we end up as a dynasty we will have many players in the hof from this era.
There would logically need to be offensive players other than Wilson but i am not sure who (Lynch would have to play a lot longer imho, although I could not be happier if he were to make it)
Who do you think would make it?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Chancellor is only scratching the surface of how good he will be . . . he's becoming a complete football player, as well as the most feared safety in the NFL. QBs always have him in their mind to prevent their receivers from getting killed. Thomas and Chancellor are the perfect duo because they complement each well.

Sherman and Wilson are well on their way.

Lynch has the ability, but as you say, he has a lot of catching up to do. He's currently #52 on the all-time rushing list, and he's the youngest player in the Top 75. I have a feeling he's going to slow down this year because his rushing style is so brutal on his body. Then again, I need to stop underestimating Lynch. He's a superhuman beast. If he averages 1,200 yards for the next four seasons (until age 32), he will be in the same class as Jim Brown, Marshall Faulk, and Marcus Allen. That's a seemingly impossible task, but again, I'm done underestimating the Beast.

Pete Caroll is also an obvious choice, but it will help if he wins another few Super Bowls before he retires.

Percy Harvin is only 25. He's where Lynch was three years ago. His career is just getting started.

OP
OP
Sprfunk

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Caroll for sure, that's a good call. If he can get 2 more super bowl seasons he will be in the conversation for best coach ever (THATS RIGHT I SAID BEST EEEEVVVVEEEEEERRRRRR) . National champions in college, to SB champions. Possibly the best ever. The NFL may never be the same much like Walsh.
Call me stupid but I think Christine Michael has the tools to get there too.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson - He is already the most successful young QB in the game, with the most impressive first two years of pretty much any quarterback, ever. It would be stupid to think he won't get even better at uncorking those 50 yard TD bombs, from his back foot, on the run. In my mind, he is a lock.

Richard Sherman - He is the best in the biz, and probably the best since Deion Sanders. I would take Sherm over Champ even in his best years. I don't know that he will remain a Seahawk for his entire career, but a few more years of elite play will net him first ballot status. His larger than life character and ultimately clutch moments in huge games will go a long way in the voting process. Total lock.

Earl Thomas - Not a first ballot guy, but he will totally get in if he keeps it up.

Kam Chancellor - Dark horse, but dude is a one man highlight reel.

JMR

Reaction score
To me this question always has 3 categories of players: 1) if the career ended today, they would be in, 2) if they continue playing at current production level, they would be in and 3) too early in their career to gauge but the HOF talent appears to be there.

I don't think we have anyone on the team that would make it in category #1. Just too young overall as a team and no one has put those finishing touches on a HOF resume just yet.

Only 3 guys I think clearly qualify for category #2, and that's Lynch, Sherm, and ET. It's hard to not go with Kam too, but he's so big and plays so violently that I think he'll wear down too soon to put the longevity in to be considered.

- Lynch would need to be an exception to the normal longevity of an NFL RB to make it. He is still relatively young, but he's racked up the mileage. Right now he's the NFL's 52nd all time rusher, about 3500 yds from cracking the top 20. Corey Dillon is 17th and probably won't get in. I love Beast, but I think he's iffy at best.
- Sherm & ET are probably both the best players at their positions right now in the NFL. It's a bit tougher for CBs to stay on top & seem to have a smaller career window of prime years, so I say ET has a better chance but they are both playing at a HOF level.

In the last category, the guys who probably have the talent but just need to develop it more who I also think have a reasonable opportunity to do it: to me it's likely just Russell Wilson. And RW will have to start putting up bigger passing #s. Level of play won't have to improve, but the numbers is usually what gets you in. I don't think Percy Harvin will have a long enough career or ever emerge as an 80 or 90 catch type WR. If I absolutely had to pick another guy in this category, it's probably Max Unger for me. Already has pro bowl/all pro accolades and plays a position that typically promotes long careers.

themunn

Reaction score
Really can't see why people think Lynch is gonna wear down all of a sudden, running backs tend to fall off at 30 because they lose speed and can't make the cuts they used to, whilst Lynch does have a wicked cut in his repertoire, it's not what his game is built around.

Regardless, I'd say it's when a back approached 2,500 carries that they suddenly "fall off", rather than age 30 (which Lynch is still 2 years away from), he's currently at around 1,750. Nobody is predicting Adrian Peterson will suddenly break down even though he is a year older and has 250 carries more than Lynch.

As long as we can continue to get good blocking out of our line, we will see another 3 seasons of Lynch yet, unless he decides to retire

JMR

Reaction score
themunn":34uj3ft5 said:
Nobody is predicting Adrian Peterson will suddenly break down even though he is a year older and has 250 carries more than Lynch.

Nobody? It won't shock me at all to see AP's production fall way off in the next couple years. His '13 ypc was the lowest since '09, and he's got a recent major knee injury. Forget the year he had in '12, I doubt he'll ever even come close to his 2nd best season again. This coming year should tell quite a bit.

As long as we can continue to get good blocking out of our line, we will see another 3 seasons of Lynch yet, unless he decides to retire
I really doubt it. Salary cap considerations probably mean 2014 is Lynch's last year in Seattle since we have cheaper and younger options in Michael & Turbin, so if we're going to see 3 more big years from Lynch then some of them will likely be on another team.

The Radish

Reaction score
themunn":wu8josej said:
Really can't see why people think Lynch is gonna wear down all of a sudden, running backs tend to fall off at 30 because they lose speed and can't make the cuts they used to, whilst Lynch does have a wicked cut in his repertoire, it's not what his game is built around.

Regardless, I'd say it's when a back approached 2,500 carries that they suddenly "fall off", rather than age 30 (which Lynch is still 2 years away from), he's currently at around 1,750. Nobody is predicting Adrian Peterson will suddenly break down even though he is a year older and has 250 carries more than Lynch.

Probably because that's the way it happens with running back for the most part. I've been watching running backs since Paul Hornung and for the most part that is what happens they just suddenly don't have it. There are exceptions of course like Sweetness but those are actually few and far between.

OJ Simpson played a long time for a line basher. Probably should have quit 2 years before he did. But runners like him, not afraid of contact rarely last more than 5 years "or so". remember the "Nigerian Nightmare" from Kansas City that gave everyone such fits for a very few seasons? If you remember I think it was Chuck Knox that sat down with his defensive guys and said how do we stop this guy? They devised a strategy to hit his thighs hard every time he carried the ball. That worked well as late in games he became not very effective. Other team copied our strategy and what we all thought was a sure hall of famer was gone in a couple of years.

I said when we got him his style of running back rarely lasted long in the NFL while loving his attitude. I think PC is working hard on developing a 2 back system to preserve Lynch as long as possible. Remember he already had back trouble when we got him. I hope I'm wrong and he plays through this contract and into another, but the odds against it bigtime. I think 3 seasons is to optimistic. Perhaps 2 if our O line ever gets its shit together. I wish we had the equivalent of the 05 line for him to run behind but I just don't think our line is good enough to keep him 3 more seasons. And HOF for Lynch, I don't see even a glimmer other than that 67 yards that is considered top 3 or top 5 of all time.

But in our hearts he's going to be number one for a long time.

:les:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The Radish":llkxsjgk said:
themunn":llkxsjgk said:

Probably because that's the way it happens with running back for the most part. I've been watching running backs since Paul Hornung and for the most part that is what happens they just suddenly don't have it. There are exceptions of course like Sweetness but those are actually few and far between.

OJ Simpson played a long time for a line basher. Probably should have quit 2 years before he did. But runners like him, not afraid of contact rarely last more than 5 years "or so". remember the "Nigerian Nightmare" from Kansas City that gave everyone such fits for a very few seasons? If you remember I think it was Chuck Knox that sat down with his defensive guys and said how do we stop this guy? They devised a strategy to hit his thighs hard every time he carried the ball. That worked well as late in games he became not very effective. Other team copied our strategy and what we all thought was a sure hall of famer was gone in a couple of years.

I said when we got him his style of running back rarely lasted long in the NFL while loving his attitude. I think PC is working hard on developing a 2 back system to preserve Lynch as long as possible. Remember he already had back trouble when we got him. I hope I'm wrong and he plays through this contract and into another, but the odds against it bigtime. I think 3 seasons is to optimistic. Perhaps 2 if our O line ever gets its shit together. I wish we had the equivalent of the 05 line for him to run behind but I just don't think our line is good enough to keep him 3 more seasons. And HOF for Lynch, I don't see even a glimmer other than that 67 yards that is considered top 3 or top 5 of all time.

But in our hearts he's going to be number one for a long time.

:les:
The only other exception besides Walter that I can think of is John Riggins. He was effective into his mid-30s.
Agree with everything you said Les. Emmitt should've hung it up well before he did as well.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Realistically, only Russell, Sherm, Earl, and Kam have a reasonable shot at the HoF... but only if their careers mimic the following players.

Russell's mimics Montana's with at least two more SBs and at least one more NFCC without winning the SB.

Sherm's mimics Champ Bailey's from a longevity standpoint and production.

Earl's mimics Polamalu's from a longevity and production standpoint.

And Kam's mimics Steve Atwater for the same reasons.

And Pete is a lock when he gets the same additional SB wins and NFCC as Russell.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Wilson
Sherman
Earl
Chanchellor
Wagner

If they continue to be as productive and consitent for 6+ years.

Carroll if he continues to win games and championships.

Darkhorses:

Doug Baldwin, call me crazy but I think he's going to have and long and productive career ironicallly going the way of Chris Carter.

Lynch, I feel that if he can produce 2 more 1200+, 12 TD seasons he'll get in on his premise... not many runners have ever had his punishing style... voters will always remember Beastquake and understand his physicality is what made him special not elite production.

JR Sweezy, like Baldwin I'm taking another stab in the dark, I think Sweezy will become the best Guard in the NFL in a couple of years and if he can remain consistent and healthy for another 10 years after that he'll get there. The guy has been raw but he's also been dominant... and is one of the most athletic players linemen in the NFL... his career is only blossoming.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The only one I'd say right now is Thomas.

If this blossomed into a dynasty.. Wilson probably. Maybe Sherman if he's retained. But that's about it.

OP
OP
Sprfunk

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Great opinions all. The one caveat is that the original idea is if we were to become a dynasty who would be the hof players for that to happen? Remember championships breed hof consideration also.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Max Unger, while not a HOF caliber player, may now be entrenched as the guy who will keeping making the probowl because he is "Known" and plays for the best team at a position that doesn't have individual stats.

He could wind up with 8-10 probowls and 2-3 Championships. That gets a center to Canton. Especially when voters aren't sure how to evaluate offensive linemen aside form probowls, titles, and how well their team ran the ball.

He could also eventually be a cap casualty one day if he doesn't get his 2012 game back, and LJP keeps being reliable.

Wilson and Sherman: not sure how anyone could possibly have more "HOF-worthy" starts to their careers at QB and CB than these two have. Wilson is making the probowl 100% of the time and winning the Super Bowl 50% of the time; Sherman is all-pro 66% of the time and a Super Bowl champion 33% of the time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Now none, we can talk about who when we have players with 5 to 7 years under their belt, Lynch would be the closest but now you look at his competition of who is out there and the odds slip pretty quick, see how many more years and how productive he is. He does have some runs that are HOF caliber and will probably be there though as a franchise highlight.

Tical21

Reaction score
If they stay together, all three LOB members will get in. If they play near this level for the next 4-5 years or more, the Legion of Boom becomes a moniker thought of in the same ilk as the Steel Curtain, 4 Horsemen, Purple People Eaters, etc. People will be talking about them 30 years after they're long gone as the greatest secondary in the history of the game. Gotta win another championship though. Heck, Maxwell could ride the coattails all the way there if he is here long enough.

I think Russell is almost halfway there also, so you would have to say his outlook looks good.

I can't see Lynch getting there. Just didn't start being dominant quickly enough. You saw subtle signs of his slowing down this season, just not being quite as quick to go headfirst into piles of 4 or 5 guys as often as the past few years.

Hauschka may have an outside shot.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
1. Russell Wilson
2. Percy Harvin
3. Richard Sherman
4. Earl Thomas

Barring injury or whatever. Also there may be others such as Lynch, Wagner and Okung depending how the next 5 years go.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
1. Russell Wilson
2. Percy Harvin
3. Richard Sherman
4. Earl Thomas

Barring injury or whatever. Also there may be others such as Lynch, Wagner and Okung depending how the next 5 years go.