Seahawks draft grades by the "experts"

seabowl

Reaction score
It's hilarious that even when we pick guys that all would consider reaches the so called "experts" are giving decent grades to our picks. Seems like they have been burnt to a crisp by going against Pete and John and already have the A and B grades on our picks even before they are made. Even if it went like:

"With its first pick the Seahawks select..... Joe Schmo". The experts would give them an A across the board.

Hilarious.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I noticed this last year too. I forgot who it was (Mayock ?) but they said "I don't get this pick but I'm done questioning these guys so I'll give them a good grade". Pretty funny stuff.

Didn't we get a consensus "D" grade on the draft where we got Wilson and Wagner ?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hawks46":2d6sqbmi said:
I noticed this last year too. I forgot who it was (Mayock ?) but they said "I don't get this pick but I'm done questioning these guys so I'll give them a good grade". Pretty funny stuff.

Didn't we get a consensus "D" grade on the draft where we got Wilson and Wagner ?

It was Mayock but I don't get the paranoia, we haven't had a decent draft in like 12 months or so.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":tp18v401 said:

Great Pic this sums up a lot of people today.

I like that when we think we know who they are looking at we really don't.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Grading drafts is stupid.

You could take a random process, based on the distribution of the grades these people hand out historically, and give a team an arbitrary grade. I'm willing to bet it would be close to as accurate, if not more, than the writers' output over any given year and particularly over a long number of years.

A

Anonymous

RichNhansom":1k0hicmh said:
Hawks46":1k0hicmh said:

It was Mayock but I don't get the paranoia, we haven't had a decent draft in like 12 months or so.

Ha!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawks46":1p0ux7as said:

I thought the 2012 draft got an F. The one where Seattle picked 4 starters.

Rainger

Reaction score
So funny, after all the bad grades over the years for the Seahawk drafts, and then how great the team has become the pundits no longer want to give the Hawks FO a bad grade.

They even said on NFL.com that they didn't know much about the players we drafted but said that they had to give a B just because it was the Hawks doing the picking. LOL

Also CBS have given a B on almost every pick but one, I bet for the same reason. They are afraid to give and F cause they have never heard of any of the players for fear it will biter them.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Some old guy on ESPN put it this way: The Seahawks, since 2009, have drafted on average 3 guys who've almost immediately made a positive impact. That's an A+. That doesn't include UDFAs.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to question just about any of our picks, I certainly have and will, and it's true that occasionally we blow it (Moffitt and Carpenter come to mind...Harper last year is another). That said, the Seahawks have an evaluation system and a board, and that's what they go by. More often than not they are successful, so while it's great to hear the analysts praise our picks and get all misty, the track record speaks for itself: more hits than misses.

For the most part, I'm pleased with our draft and am definitely looking forward to the UDFA class and the subsequent competition.

Go Hawks!

kf3339

Reaction score
After the second round I decided not to watch the rest of the draft. Now that it is over I can honestly say I have not heard of one of our picks to any degree other than an occasional mention. I don't know if that is good or not.

Now i'm not an expert by any means, but if I was to analize or grade our draft it would be like this:

Que Sera Sera.
Whatever will be, will be.
The futures not ours to see.
Que Sera Sera.
What will be, will be.

That sums it up for me.

drdiags

Reaction score
It was funny watching Polian talk about how the Seahawks have gotten 3 starters per year from the draft, after he lambasted the Wilson pick. I bet he cannot wait to release the hounds if they start to falter. Last year's draft so far wasn't giving the immediate results the others did, but that is expected since the team's talent base has risen sine 2010.

When teams get a pick that was rated higher but dropped due to some injury the player had, I think of the Thurmond pick. If he could have left the Chronic alone, I bet he ends up with even a better deal than what he got with the Giants.

I noticed quite a few teams taking those flyers. Smart use of draft picks when you have a talent rich roster. Really hate the salary cap, but that is another story.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Sarlacc83":y88hq08u said:
Hawks46":y88hq08u said:

I thought the 2012 draft got an F. The one where Seattle picked 4 starters.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/06/mel-ki ... e-it-an-f/

It's a fools errand to doubt these guys right now. We've still reveling in how well the system works. It's not perfect but we're world champs so...
:thirishdrinkers:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Fudwamper":u1aywt7x said:
SouthSoundHawk":u1aywt7x said:

And Pete's in the background visualizing the Lombardi in his hands :)

theascension

Reaction score
Draft grades are so stupid and meaningless in terms of actual success. The patriots have drafted pretty poorly the last decade for the most part (and drafted Brady mostly as an afterthought) yet because of coaching wizardry they do great every year.
Who ever knows where Richard Sherman would be now without our great coaching staff and the chance opportunity of injuries to give him a chance on the field? He could be a career backup somewhere else.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Fudwamper":ly476wbb said:
SouthSoundHawk":ly476wbb said:

kf3339":ly476wbb said:
After the second round I decided not to watch the rest of the draft. Now that it is over I can honestly say I have not heard of one of our picks to any degree other than an occasional mention. I don't know if that is good or not.

Now i'm not an expert by any means, but if I was to analize or grade our draft it would be like this:

Que Sera Sera.
Whatever will be, will be.
The futures not ours to see.
Que Sera Sera.
What will be, will be.

That sums it up for me.
Seriously you've never heard of Kevin Norwood? a critical part to a national championship team.

JMR

Reaction score
seabowl":2duaqdam said:
It's hilarious that even when we pick guys that all would consider reaches the so called "experts" are giving decent grades to our picks. Seems like they have been burnt to a crisp by going against Pete and John and already have the A and B grades on our picks even before they are made. Even if it went like:

"With its first pick the Seahawks select..... Joe Schmo". The experts would give them an A across the board.

Hilarious.

In the 10 drafts prior to PC/JS getting to Seattle, the Hawks averaged about 2 high quality players/starters per draft. We've been adding at least 4 every time since 2010. 6 pro bowl players.

Only Willson & Bowie got much of a chance to contribute from last year's rookie class, so the '14 season will probably tell us if that is the same quality group of the 3 before it in the JS/PC era. Probably tough for more than 1 or 2 of this year's draft crop to come in and do too much as rookies, so we may not know what we have for a couple years as well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
drdiags":2va0q9ff said:
...Really hate the salary cap, but that is another story.

The salary cap is the reason why the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. Our FO manages it better than anyone else. The sheer number of players who VASTLY overperform their rookie contracts (Wilson, Sherman, Wagner, Maxwell, KJ, and more...) means we our $saving$ can go into strengthening other position groups, all within the confines of the cap.

Yes, we have a rich owner, but there are plenty other rich owners.

Best in league at Salary cap management = Superb Owl!