Americas Game on NFLN.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I just watched the episode on thee 1985 Chicago Bears.
What a story, what a TEAM.
As I was watching I remembered how people were comparing the 2013 Seahawks to the 85 bears, or at least questioning if they might be as good.
When I say people I'm not just talking about Seahawk fans. It was tossed around quite a bit.
I hope I never forget or take for granted what as a football/ Seahawk fan I got to experience and enjoy this past season.
To be talked about in the same conversation as that Bears team is HUGE. In just a few years, as the football world relaxes and looks back, IMHO this Seahawk team will be remembered as one of the true greats.
I can't wait to see the AMERICAS GAME episode on the 2013 Seahawks.
I'm home alone as I type and I've got watery eyes.
I love me some SEATTLE SEAHAWKS.
It's a great time to be a member of the "12th man"

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
:229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers:

Right there with ya. Every time I see those top 10 lists and "America's Game" episodes I think about seeing Seahawks highlights from this past season 5 or 10 years from now. It's enough to make me take better care of myself to ensure I'll be around to see it. :D

And my wife and I still tear up every time we hear Raible say, "12's... they're bringin' the trophy home. Your Seahawks... Super Bowl 48 Champions." LOL. I get misty just typing it.

blue 22

Reaction score
Speaking of the 85 bears... does anyone recall watching them? I was too young... Can we really be as good as them this year or come close?

mrblitz

Reaction score
if memory serves, the '85 bears were more potent up front on defense, and the 2013 seahawks better in the deep secondary. in the '86 super bowl (after the '85 season), there was a sea of dark jerseys just flooding through the new england o-line; every down. the next team i saw that reminded me of that was the 90-91 huskies in college football.

'13 hawks were very good up front, and strong in the linebackers, but the '85 bears were nearly unique with how strong they were up front.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mrblitz":1vy8sc1z said:
if memory serves, the '85 bears were more potent up front on defense, and the 2013 seahawks better in the deep secondary. in the '86 super bowl (after the '85 season), there was a sea of dark jerseys just flooding through the new england o-line; every down. the next team i saw that reminded me of that was the 90-91 huskies in college football.

'13 hawks were very good up front, and strong in the linebackers, but the '85 bears were nearly unique with how strong they were up front.
I agree with your assessment. Bears had a bit better front 7, Hawks had a definitely better secondary. In fact I think our teams D-backfield compares VERY favorably to those Raiders' teams with Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes as well as the Steel Curtain defensive backfield in the 70s.
Offensively I think you probably give a slight edge to Walter Payton over Beast but I give a somewhat significant edge to Russ over McMahon at the QB position. I don't remember who they had at WR so I'll offer no opinion in that area.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I just hope we can keep in going. The '85 Bears team was awesome then they kind of faded away. I believe our team is built a little differently and we can sustain this success.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Mannnnn that is going to easily be the best episode of Americas Game ever.

And when they do a Football Life of Pete, Sherman, & Russ those will be the top 3 of that series ever,

Threedee

Reaction score
I watched it, too, and realized how much farther to go up front we still have. Kind of a downer, really. I think if Marsh winds up becoming an upgrade to Clemmons, Pierre-Louis upgrades Irvin, Wagner continues to improve, and our DTs show growth, we could slowly rival the 1985 Bears. Obviously, we already have the best all-time secondary.

drdiags

Reaction score
Willie Gault and McKinnon were the WRs (at least I know Gault for sure). The Bears front-7 had some great LBs to go with Dent and McMichael. Fridge was a Ditka favorite, though Ryan didn't seem to care much for him. Wilbur Marshall was a terror blitzing from his LB spot.

Once the league caught up with the 46-defense, along with some of the players moving on, the Bears gave way to the NY Giants and 9ers. Some of the old team-mates felt they had a couple more Superbowls in them but the dysfunction between Ditka and Ryan spoiled it for them, according to articles I have read over the years.

I think the Seahawks have a better passing game than the 85 Bears, some of it may be due to Gault not running the full route tree. There is some debate whether his courage was questioned by team-mates. Not sure what the story is there.

Cannot wait until the Seahawks version of "America's Game" is produced. For a minute, that is what I thought this post was about.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
drdiags":246bejfp said:
Willie Gault and McKinnon were the WRs (at least I know Gault for sure). The Bears front-7 had some great LBs to go with Dent and McMichael. Fridge was a Ditka favorite, though Ryan didn't seem to care much for him. Wilbur Marshall was a terror blitzing from his LB spot.

Once the league caught up with the 46-defense, along with some of the players moving on, the Bears gave way to the NY Giants and 9ers. Some of the old team-mates felt they had a couple more Superbowls in them but the dysfunction between Ditka and Ryan spoiled it for them, according to articles I have read over the years.

I think the Seahawks have a better passing game than the 85 Bears, some of it may be due to Gault not running the full route tree. There is some debate whether his courage was questioned by team-mates. Not sure what the story is there.

Cannot wait until the Seahawks version of "America's Game" is produced. For a minute, that is what I thought this post was about.

Sorry if you got misled.
Funny, at the end Ditka mentioned that neither him nor Ryan did much after that, and even suggested that "maybe" they were better together than as separates.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
blue 22":4dt721x7 said:
Speaking of the 85 bears... does anyone recall watching them? I was too young... Can we really be as good as them this year or come close?

I was in the Philippines or Korea depending on the day. I got back in country in 86 so missed a lot of things in that timeframe. Remember we only did radio back then in some overseas locations. Some people had to work too...me being one dangit. In Korea, we had tv by virtue of an antenna and a repeater on one of the mountains I climbed. Really appreciate the fact that I got a commodore 128 that year. Had games to play and a tv with vcr to watch. Sorry for the diatribe. Go Hawks.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

drdiags

Reaction score
pmedic920":2erc7ug6 said:
Sorry if you got misled.

No problem. I remember after the Superbowl there being a mention that the Seahawks version of this show would come in the summer, so I am just being antsy. Plus being a eeyore, keep waiting for NFLN to decide this is the year they stop doing the series. Ha ha!

I have buzzard's luck like that. Stupid Air Force came up with the whole Senior Airman crap right about the time I was about to be promoted to NCO. Took another year before I got my NCO card. That thing was gold back in the day. The NCO club was always full of fine women and the NCO card was a young airman's first credit card back when those things were scarce.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
drdiags":158atwxc said:
pmedic920":158atwxc said:
Sorry if you got misled.

No problem. I remember after the Superbowl there being a mention that the Seahawks version of this show would come in the summer, so I am just being antsy. Plus being a eeyore, keep waiting for NFLN to decide this is the year they stop doing the series. Ha ha!

I have buzzard's luck like that. Stupid Air Force came up with the whole Senior Airman crap right about the time I was about to be promoted to NCO. Took another year before I got my NCO card. That thing was gold back in the day. The NCO club was always full of fine women and the NCO card was a young airman's first credit card back when those things were scarce.

Luck....You and me both brother....I just had the situation happen to me after I got back from overseas that I had a commendation medal hit the books on the second cycle for me to make SSgt in 87. The points went up and my points went even higher..(not by dammm much) and I made it. Doc I would like to purchase you a soda of your choice should we meet. I have had worse luck in my time tho....and attribute it to the wrong place at the wrong time. Such is life. :)

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan Seahawkfan80.

Spent my 4 yrs stationed at Keesler AFB ('74-'78). Had orders to Kadena (sp?), Okinawa late in my stint but they were cancelled. Would have loved to work on those F-4s. I was a doppler/INS Tech. Most likely I would have figured out a way to fire the ejection seat while trying to troubleshoot it's nav systems. Only got the joy of working C-130s and the 1940's Marconi Doppler system.

C-141 or C-5s would have been a blast for a minute I suppose. Too much analog/tube stuff on the C-130 gear I worked on.