Jessie Williams

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
This is PERHAPS the oversized lineman that we are waiting for to replace Red. Has anybody heard what kind of shape he is in?? I would love to see McDaniel, Mebane, Williams and (Avril, Benson, or Irvin) on the other side in our 1st down defense.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3qkxnkyf said:
This is PERHAPS the oversized lineman that we are waiting for to replace Red. Has anybody heard what kind of shape he is in?? I would love to see McDaniel, Mebane, Williams and (Avril, Benson, or Irvin) on the other side in our 1st down defense.
Not gonna happen. Dan Quinn said again this week on a radio interview that Williams is an 'inside' guy (DT) and that that's where he staying. Scruggs and Bennett (and possibly Marsh, depending on where he settles in, which I think will ultimately be the Leo role in base) are your 5-tech's in the base D. You can forget seeing Bruce Irvin on the other side in base D as well....he's a full-time Sam OLB in base now, which Quinn also reinforced (again) in the same interview. It's shocking to me how hard that has become for people to understand and accept (no offense meant to the OP).

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2w0b5waq said:
Not gonna happen. Dan Quinn said again this week on a radio interview that Williams is an 'inside' guy (DT) and that that's where he staying. Scruggs and Bennett (and possibly Marsh, depending on where he settles in, which I think will ultimately be the Leo role in base) are your 5-tech's in the base D. You can forget seeing Bruce Irvin on the other side in base D as well....he's a full-time Sam OLB in base now, which Quinn also reinforced (again) in the same interview. It's shocking to me how hard that has become for people to understand and accept (no offense meant to the OP).

Quinn qualified his statement about Williams being an inside guy by saying "that's where we use [him] the most." It's certainly possible Williams will get a look outside at the five technique.

Quinn also said he viewed Marsh as more of an inside guy, which makes your analysis somewhat inconsistent. And Carroll has talked about wanting Marsh to add more weight.

In addition to Scruggs and Bennett at the five technique, Carroll has said Tony McDaniel would replace Red Bryant. There are a lot of different guys who could get a look at the five technique, with another being Michael Brooks, who actually played at the five technique last season in place of Bryant.

Link to Quinn's interview: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/media/play/23283758/

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Am I the only that thinks he will a non factor his time in Seattle? I'm starting to believe that for some reason, don't ask me why it's just a feeling and a vibe I'm having..

hawknation2014

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1g4dl2u8 said:
Am I the only that thinks he will a non factor his time in Seattle? I'm starting to believe that for some reason, don't ask me why it's just a feeling and a vibe I'm having..

Who knows? He's strong guy who hasn't gotten a chance due to knee problems. The odds are against him, but then again, he could blow up this year and find a role at the three or five technique. He's known as one of our strongest players, and Quinn said he's had a good off-season. There are several guys like him who we don't currently have a lot of information on.

grizbob

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":17s8w87w said:
Wasn't he the one wearing the stupid suit to see the President? The purple one?

Already don't like him.

Cuz he's no Red Bryant? :mrgreen: :lol:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
grizbob":y2hqjwx9 said:
Tech Worlds":y2hqjwx9 said:

Already don't like him.

I was right about Red. Part time player last year that they didn't feel the need to resign. Journeyman.

grizbob

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":agk4wx94 said:
grizbob":agk4wx94 said:
Tech Worlds":agk4wx94 said:

Already don't like him.

I was right about Red. Part time player last year that they didn't feel the need to resign. Journeyman.

That just might be because of the guy in the purple suit. ;)

seabowl

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2s24uolp said:

I agree with you. When we drafted him I watched some of his college tape and he was just average. Big upper body with skinny legs. Add on top of that knee issues and we have the making of a potential wasted pick. Time will tell but I'm with you on him very possibly being a non factor.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pete's already said the defense will adapt this year.

Red was unique but really they made a role for him. There's absolutely nothing to suggest we even want a big guy to play the five tech. In fact I suspect they'll merely give Bennett more snaps off the edge (PC has eluded to this) and keep the biggs inside.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1frmz5ao said:

Red was unique but really they made a role for him. There's absolutely nothing to suggest we even want a big guy to play the five tech. In fact I suspect they'll merely give Bennett more snaps off the edge (PC has eluded to this) and keep the biggs inside.

I am starting to think you are right. But if he does want a bigger DL at the 5 technique, I can think there is no better candidate then Jessie Williams.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1k1d04wq said:

I have made the same argument about red over the years on other boards and got crucified for it.

I have said all along that if the Hawks had 2 Chris Clemonses then they would put one on each side.

The hawks know they need to pressure the QB on a regular basis and they're not gonna do that with Bryant on the field. Bryant was a case of making lemonade from lemons.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":hv2hsw4p said:
theENGLISHseahawk":hv2hsw4p said:

I have made the same argument about red over the years on other boards and got crucified for it.

I have said all along that if the Hawks had 2 Chris Clemonses then they would put one on each side.

The hawks know they need to pressure the QB on a regular basis and they're not gonna do that with Bryant on the field. Bryant was a case of making lemonade from lemons.
They must really like lemons. They could have let Red go when he hit free agency, but they paid him a lot of coin to be a lemon.