Punt Returner?

Who do y'all folks want returning punts?

• Earl Thomas

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Percy Harvin

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Richard Sherman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bryan Walters

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Doug Baldwin

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Paul Richardson

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Phillip Adams

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • some other mofo

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

RussJames

Reaction score
So after OTA's today Carroll mentioned that the competition for punt returner is basically between Earl, Percy, Sherman, and Walters...

4.) Bryan Walters would be the 'safest' option as he has some returning experience and doesn't play a key role in the squad. But, he'll have a very hard time making the 53 man roster, especially with the addition of Richardson, Norwood, and Matthews at the WR position.

3.) Sherman obviously wants to return punts but I'm not sure how effective he would be. I just can't see him beating both Earl and Percy for the position. Anyways, he'll get some reps throughout training camp; maybe he'll prove me wrong.

2.) Percy is one of the most electrifying players in the NFL and if he can handle the extra workload, I'd love to see him returning punts. Injury and fatigue might be a bit of a concern, but given how ridiculously magical this guy is, I say get him on the field as much as humanly possible.

1.) Pete recently mentioned that if the season started tomorrow, Earl Thomas would be returning punts. This is both exciting and frightening for me. Earl is clearly a very explosive player. He showed us his ability to weave through crowds of players when he returned an interception for a TD against Buffalo a couple seasons ago. However, he's also the most irreplaceable player on the defensive unit. I'm still up in the air about this one...

Other players possibly getting reps at the position are PRich, ADB, Phillip Adams, and possibly a few others.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Percy is not a viable option... based on comments from the Vikings beat writers.

You may disagree, but I trust the beat writers. They follow their teams daily.

Meeker

Reaction score
Percy does not return punts (he does not have a single punt return in his NFL career). Last time this was brought up I believe someone posted something about Percy himself saying he has difficulty tracking punts.

e: Didn't know they were giving Percy a chance...frankly, I don't like it. I don't like any starter returning kicks honestly, maybe in big time situations, but not on a consistent basis.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":xpt5g9xi said:
Percy is not a viable option... based on comments from the Vikings beat writers.

You may disagree, but I trust the beat writers. They follow their teams daily.

The former team's beat writers don't know everything. Harvin says it will be an adjustment, but that he will be ready to be the punt returner by the start of the season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't like ET returning punts of a regular basis. Think about it, if you were the whiners, rams, or turdinals and you knew ET (the key cog to Seattle's D) was going to return a punt early in the game I could see any of those teams clocking him (Lockette style) even on a fair catch taking the 15 yard penalty. 15 yards for a chance to severely hurt Seattle D? If you don't think any 3 of those guys would do that, you're nutzo!

Tokadub

Reaction score
I donno I'm kinda torn on this one. I don't think Sherman should return punts just because he's too lanky and would be easier to injure, plus other players the 49ers especially would try to kill him out there.

Earl Thomas I think could possibly work, I think he's way less likely to get injured than Sherman just based on their body types. It'd be awesome to see him do it, but IF he did get hurt it would be a total managerial nightmare. No matter how unlikely it is for him to get hurt I'm not sure if the risk is worth it.

I'm not sure how seriously I can take this news. Do we really not have any other guys who can do this? Maybe we should of thought a little harder before letting Tate go... I thought Baldwin would be a pretty good option?

I mean it's just hard to believe our biggest priority is explosive play making for punts and kick returns when we were using Turbin last year...

In this case I think it might be a wise decision to protect Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman and if we don't have anyone else who can do it, well than it was really stupid to let Tate go... I wouldn't rage if Thomas got the job but I'd certainly be nervous every time he didn't call for a fair catch.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me.

Whoever is the best man for the job should get it, hell, if they'd even wanted to do it by committee and let everyone have their chance to make a play... that's alright with me.

If they trot someone out there and have them fair catch it every time... I'm cool with it.

Why?

I just don't think we'll need to rely on big splash plays from punt returning at times as much as we did in 2013.

I think the offense will be better, I think the more important players will do their best to be the healthiest they can be after last season, and I think the Seahawks will have a top 3 offense next year, however you want to quantify it: points, yards, DVOA.

But I like that several players are stepping up and wanting to compete for the opportunity even if they don't have much experience at it. Its striving to improve a weakness or learn a new ability... and you never know when having that in the back pocket of several talented players might come in handy.