New MMQB article- written by Russell Wilson

rigelian

Reaction score
It's clear. We have a very special guy playing Quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks.

oasis

Reaction score
Wait so let me get to straight. Does he judge a player by his color or not?

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Couple of things:

I remember the intense media frenzy surrounding Culpepper, McNabb, Vick...even Vince Young. They were predicted to be the "new vanguard" of black franchise QBs in the NFL. The experts hailed them as the new normal instead of the rare Cunningham/Moon black ranchise QB. And the experts were RIGHT! I remember a time not so long ago that seeing a black QB leading a team felt "different" (not awkward, or uncomfortable, just different). Now I never give it a thought.

Second? Suck it, Niners fans. That article right there; that's what you'll never have, and that's why you can blather on about CK, what a competitor he is, what a leader he is, blah blah blah. But he will NEVER be that.

And I know that if the screws were put to your thumbs the vast majority of you Niner fans would admit the truth...that you are jealous.

rigelian

Reaction score
oasis":211wwy24 said:
Wait so let me get to straight. Does he judge a player by his color or not?

Let's see. I don't think he judges period. At the same time he seems to recognize history, context and progress.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
A few observations:

1) I hadn't realized that Russell was only the second African American an to win the superb owl.

2) Doug Williams, the first, also beat Denver. 42-10.

3) I hadn't realized Kaepernick is also African-American.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Far better read than I expected. Russell only threw in a few cliches.

How ironic that the Fritz Pollard alliance threw such a big stink when Pete was hired because they were convinced Seattle did not sincerely interview a minority coach.

The Pic with the pres? Browner looks to be mid puff.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Technically Krapperdick is just as much Italian as he is black. Where do you think he gets that nose? lol

Hawks46

Reaction score
When is the last time anyone heard a reference to black QBs...

During game commentary ?

During analysis ?

Actually, anytime other than that article and the corresponding one on NFL.com that references it ?

Personally, I don't even remember that much being said about it in the SB; there was a few mentions (like Doug Williams was the only other one to win), but we all know the media coverage before the SB is intense. I honestly thought we were already passed this. I can't remember last year all these "running" QBs being referred to as being black, breaking race barriers, or anything else. Granted, we don't get a lot of the RGIII hype out here, but in national commentary I just don't remember hearing any of it.

I really thought it was a non issue now, with such a healthy mix of QBs in the NFL.

McGruff

Reaction score
I just thought it was typical RW . . . he's smart, smart enough to use a lot of words to say all the right things without really saying much of anything.

He's the anti-Sherman. Sherman gets himself in trouble by saying substantial things no one else will say. Wilson stays out of trouble by using words to say nothing of substance.

Not a criticism. Just an observation.

ivotuk

Reaction score
LOL! That picture of the Akron Pros cracked me up "Fritz Pollard (seated, far right)" Which one is the African-American? Bottom row, far right... :p

Great article by Russell Wilson. Wow, how far has the NFL, and this team come? From no team with a black QB, to no one even mentioning the fact that RW is the 2nd African-American to win the SuperB Owl.

And the Seahawks? From a struggling team with always that hint of promise, to a phenomenal team that not only kicked ass in the SuperB Owl, but has so many young, intelligent players that they are breaking the mold of Jocks being dumb. Amazing, just amazing.

Go Hawks! :0190l:

A

Anonymous

The piece seems heavily-edited and a bit contrived to me. Like a few more-explanatory sentences were removed.

I expected more lucidity in his writing style than that.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This article only seems articulate because Sherman proofed it. I heard Charlie Caserly said that if Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson were to swap teams that Andrew Luck would write a better article about black quarterbacks while Russell wouldn't even be top 12 in neck beards.