The New Coach in Denver is No Fool

keasley45

Reaction score

Payton has already figured out what's what with his current starting QB. It's not hard to read between the lines of his quoted praise for his #2, being intentional in pointing out how smart he is at the LOS and more, to see that he's sending a very clear message about what he expects from the qb position.

From the article:

"...We like the player. I think he played well in the two starts he had (last season) -- if you study closely the San Francisco game, he's smart at the line of scrimmage. There were a handful of No. 2s that either I had worked with or we felt comfortable with, but in this case, I think it's a No. 2 (where) his arrow's moving in a direction where we feel like he can become an NFL starter in our league. So the evaluation was pretty crystal clear for all of us," Payton continued. "I think he's someone that's gonna be great in the room. He's smart. And so, quietly, that was an important (signing) for us."

Those are no small words for a new HC to toss at a player who should be nothing more than a clipboard holder for your current franchise, future HOFer, savior of the franchise guy. In the same way PC heaped praise on Geno for being 'coachable' when asked about what sets him apart, Payton identifying Stidims ability to diagnose plays is a reference to one of Russ's now undeniable weaknesses, and a not-so-veiled critique.

In a vacuum, you could argue he's just trying to pump up his new hire. But given the comments, insinuations he's already dropped... its going to be interesting to see how much leash he gives Russ.

toffee

Reaction score

Payton has already figured out what's what with his current starting QB. It's not hard to read between the lines of his quoted praise for his #2, being intentional in pointing out how smart he is at the LOS and more, to see that he's sending a very clear message about what he expects from the qb position.

From the article:

"...We like the player. I think he played well in the two starts he had (last season) -- if you study closely the San Francisco game, he's smart at the line of scrimmage. There were a handful of No. 2s that either I had worked with or we felt comfortable with, but in this case, I think it's a No. 2 (where) his arrow's moving in a direction where we feel like he can become an NFL starter in our league. So the evaluation was pretty crystal clear for all of us," Payton continued. "I think he's someone that's gonna be great in the room. He's smart. And so, quietly, that was an important (signing) for us."

Those are no small words for a new HC to toss at a player who should be nothing more than a clipboard holder for your current franchise, future HOFer, savior of the franchise guy. In the same way PC heaped praise on Geno for being 'coachable' when asked about what sets him apart, Payton identifying Stidims ability to diagnose plays is a reference to one of Russ's now undeniable weaknesses, and a not-so-veiled critique.

In a vacuum, you could argue he's just trying to pump up his new hire. But given the comments, insinuations he's already dropped... its going to be interesting to see how much leash he gives Russ.
Could it be that Sean is trying to avoid a Pete-Russ type of relationship? If so, these could be warning shoots?

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I think Russell will be benched sometime in the last half of next season
there's a good chance, if for no other reason than to send me3 a "message". :LOL: @John63 (aka deandc on the broncos forum) will be working overtime that week.

and the donks will release him in the offseason.
his extension begins this season, so there's 161m reasons why they can't won't release him prior to 2026: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/russell-wilson-9885/

Scout

Reaction score
Knowing Sean Peyton he wants a more balanced team so yes they may draft a center but the assumption he will draft a lot more skill players on offense I am not so sure of. I mean the defense is pretty good but adding more to the defense takes more pressure off the offense.

All SP has to do is make the offense more competent aka move the chains and avoid three and out situations in the 3rd quarter. Potentially the defense could be Super Bowl caliber once more if they are not gassed so much and have a lead to hold.

The Broncos more than likely will be drafting a center and RB to ensure the offense is functional regardless of which QB lines up behind center. But don't be surprised if they try to reinforce that defense with more defensive picks IMO.

toffee

Reaction score
there's a good chance, if for no other reason than to send me3 a "message". :LOL: @John63 (aka deandc on the broncos forum) will be working overtime that week.

his extension begins this season, so there's 161m reasons why they can't won't release him prior to 2026: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/russell-wilson-9885/
bro John63 deserves a contract extension but team3 has been slow in responding, I suspect he is holding out till he gets that extension.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Reading these posts about what needs fixing in Denver with Russ is Deja vu all over again. We had exactly the same discussions when he was here.

BASF

Reaction score
Reading these posts about what needs fixing in Denver with Russ is Deja vu all over again. We had exactly the same discussions when he was here.
At least most are giving Payton credit. Getting Pete credit regarding Wilson was like pulling teeth around here for years.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
At least most are giving Payton credit. Getting Pete credit regarding Wilson was like pulling teeth around here for years.

Pete coddled Russ, though. He didn’t have To wear a wristband. His personal qb coach and spokesman was let Into the facility. Players were told not to trash talk him in practice. And it’s under these conditions that Russell delivered the second super bowl appearance and four subsequent playoff appearances.

Peyton isn’t a Pete replacement. Hes the opposite.

Russ being the first one to show at the facility is fake when two days later he’s apparently jetting off with Team 3 to his San Diego house for a week of throwing his six yo a birthday party and taking His stepson to Little League practice is not a good look, Russ.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
Well, if you believe Terry Bradshaw, one of the reasons Payton had for not wanting the job was working with the incumbent qb.

So I agree, he will not hesitate to sit a guy if he requires too much handholding or if he's not running what the Payton playbook calls for.

Scout

Reaction score
Denver did draft a WR but they also drafted a center and a bunch of defensive players as I suspected. The strategy is clear that they are going to play to the strengths of their team which is the SB caliber defense and newly infused run blocking OL with several big bodied RB's.

Denver's top three RBs on their depth chart are all 220lbs or more.