Even our players/staff have no idea what Lynch will do...?

Tokadub

Reaction score
OK I'm on beer #5 and it's an IPA not some light beer crap... my point being I'm drunk enough now I need to comment on this issue.

FACTS

1) Even the players have no idea if Lynch will be back or not...

You can find these player quotes and the host intro to subject at about 28:20 minute mark in this podcast:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9974938&p=1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

Sherman Quote (paraphrasing):

"I feel good about it, I think he'll be fine, WHICHEVER DECISION HE MAKES, he'll be fine, he put his work in. If he comes back ready to play then that's what it will be, he’ll get his 300+ carries (I REALLY DOUBT SHERMAN ACTUALLY BELIEVES THAT… THERE IS NO WAY LYNCH WILL GET 350+ CARRIES LIKE SHERMAN’S QUOTE, (Marshawn's Career high carries for 1 season is 315 in 2012). IT SOUNDS LIKE HE’S TRYING TO CHANGE LYNCH’S MIND LIKE SOMETHING BAD IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN WITH LYNCH QUITTING) if he comes back in shape he'll take his carries. IF IT'S NOT HIS TIME OTHER PLAYERS WILL STEP UP."

Baldwin Quote (paraphrasing):

"To be honest with you we know what he brings to the table, what he brings to the team. So we are gonna let him handle his business. I'm gonna keep it real like I always do, I think Marshawn Lynch has earned his right to get back to the table. In a business sense it doesn't make sense, but what he brings to the table... I have no ill feelings for him and I don't think anyone on our team does."

Russell Wilson Quote (paraphrasing):

"Christine Michael is a guy that is very, very quick. He's low to the ground, he's got the ability to shift in and out, and both of those guys can be tremendous backs for us (Turbin and Michael). We love Marshawn to death and what he does, we have tons of respect. AT THE SAME TIME TURBIN AND MICHAEL WILL BE READY TO GO."

All 3 of our players seem to have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER WHAT LYNCH IS GONNA DO. 2 out of 3 of our players seem to be prepared for the possibility that our other guys will play and Marshawn will quit.

Does anyone else find it REALLY bizarre that even our players have no idea what's going to happen with Lynch? You would think this kind of information might be available to the players but kept out of the headlines. But judging by these quotes it seems even Lynch's team mates are as clueless as the rest of the world?

I donno to me this is just really bizarre... this situation could potentially be serious not just some little thing with Lynch?

2) Our coaches and staff seem to be a bit stressed out and uncharacteristically stuttering and fumbling with their interviews. It's almost like they are truly stressed out about this Lynch situation to the point that they can't even focus on what they are saying.

Pete Carroll Quote (paraphrasing):

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9974858&p=1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

@ 22:30 of podcast

"Yeah umm... I'm disappointed he's not here umm... by his choice you know (sigh) umm... I'm really focused on the guys that are here and that have been with us and who are working really hard and all (sigh)... just a comment about that is uh... we had a substantial plan in in in in uh (sigh) working for us for years now and uh Marshawn was a big part of this plan and and uh just a couple years back we made a big statement (sigh) we made a big statement, a big effort for him, we we wish he was here with us now. And uh... but this is a tremendous opportunity for the guys who are getting their shot and umm... Turbin and Michael are ready to go and really fired up ready to take full advantage of it."

John Schneider Quote (paraphrasing):

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9974839&p=1007&n=Brock and Salk

"No I mean without getting into specifics we don't talk about people's contracts. He's made a decision not to be here, we are excited about all the guys who are here. Heck, the thing I wanna say about it uh... we have a plan uhh... we have a thing in place uhh... for several years uhhh... Marshawn Lynch was one of our first guys. One of the first guys we were able to reward... there's also uhh... tough decisions about guys not being here like Clemons, Bryant, Breno, Golden... first day of camp you're missing those guys. There's a specific plan in place and my responsibility to Allen and the fans it's to provide a consistent championship caliber football team where we have a shot every year. CARROLL AND HIS STAFF DO A GREAT JOB TEACHING NEW PLAYERS EVERY YEAR, THEY ARE READY TO PLAY AND MOVE FORWARD".

Both our head coach and our GM seem to be uncharacteristically flustered with their speech. It seems to me that they have no idea what Lynch will do and they are very concerned about this situation and prepared to move on.

Also if you look at the videos of some of Carroll's recent speeches he seems uncharacteristically worried or tense. Just not the look and confidence you would expect from him coming off a Super Bowl Victory.

3) TURBIN SUCKS!

He cannot fill Lynch's shoes. We have given him so many opportunities but he just really can't do this with our terrible Offensive Line. He looks totally out of his league, like a misfit that our coaches for some reason love (I'm guessing it's his character and work ethic).

If he had the attitude I suspect Christine Michael had last season... Turbin would of been cut by now. He flat out sucks and our coaches are just trying to give him WAY TOO MANY CHANCES BECAUSE HE'S A GOOD GUY AND WE DO NEED A LYNCH REPLACEMENT SOON.

Turbin Career Stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertturbin/2533460/careerstats

Average Rushing Yards/Attempt: 3.9 yards (3.4 in 2013)...
Best Run: 26 yards (15 yards in 2013 with 77 attempts)...
1st down %: 15.3% (11.7% in 2013)...

So Turbin has TERRIBLE career stats and he HAS GOTTEN SIGNIFICANTLY WORST FROM 2012 to 2013. Some of this can be blamed on our offensive line but anyone hoping for them to magically become good this year is dreaming. I honestly think our offensive line will be about the same if not slighty worst than last season...

If that's the case Turbin should be cut he's worthless and his 11% first down percentage is laughable on an offense with Percy Harvin.

In comparison Lynch's Career Stats are:

http://www.nfl.com/player/marshawnlynch/2495663/careerstats

Average Rushing Yards/Attempt: 4.2 yards (4.2 in 2013)
Best Run: 77 yards (43 yards in 2013)
1st down %: 20.5% (22.6% in 2013)...

So even though Lynch has 6 more years in his career and everyone seems to assume Lynch is spent... how come Lynch was so much superior to Turbin in every single statistic in 2013? LYNCH > TURBIN!

Lynch's first down percentage was pretty much twice as high as Turbin's for 2013.

In Lynch's worst yards/carry year 2009 he averaged only 3.8 yards per carry. This is almost equal to Turbin's 3.9 career average... However in 2009 Lynch's 1st down % was 15% and his long was 47 yards both significantly better than Turbin in 2013.

Even in Lynch's worst season he showed WAY more potential than Turbin. In 2010 Lynch only had 37 carries but still had a run of 17 yards and 24.3% first downs which is far superior to Turbin's 2013 77 attempts for a long of 15 and 11.7% first downs.

So in summary Turbin REALLY SUCKS :les:

Conclusion:

Our players and coaches/staff have NO IDEA what Lynch is gonna do. Based on their quotes and body language it seems possible that Lynch is gonna stand his ground and not play for us or retire.

This topic could be totally irrelevant and meaningless by tomorrow since that will be the most important "deadline" in this situation so far. If Lynch does show up then we should be OK even if he's not happy.

I guess this thread can still serve some purpose because it's interesting to me at least how even our players and coaches/staff have NO IDEA what Lynch is gonna do. They all seem ready to move on and some of them seem uncharacteristically stressed to the point they can't even talk properly.

I'm hoping Lynch shows up tomorrow but this is really a strange situation he's gotten himself into.

And if he doesn't show up? Well I am not too sure Christine Michael can fill his shoes with our horrible O-Line. I'm 99% convinced Turbin sucks/he's mediocre so Christine Michael is our only hope if Lynch quits on us.

kearly

Reaction score
Tokadub, Tokadub, Tokadub! (poof).

I think this is the reason why Seattle crowded their roster last year to hold onto Spencer Ware despite the fact that he showed no aptitude as a FB. Ware may not be a true star, but he could be an Alfred Morris type halfback for us. Very good instincts and short area burst, with good size and power.

I think between Ware, Michael, and Turbin, there is a good chance that at least one of them will step up if things with Lynch do not work out. PC/JS for the very first time seem to be playing hardball with a player, so that must mean they have great confidence in our young RBs.

But yeah, Lynch is the best power RB in the NFL right now so obviously it would be nice not to lose a player like that.

Turbin has disappointed me so far, but I've learned to be patient with prospects in the PC era. Cable was saying good things about Turbin's footwork. I'm curious to see how his new running style looks over the next month.

But am I a little worried? Sure. It's only natural to be given that Seattle is such a good team you would prefer to eliminate the unknown if possible.

Tical21

Reaction score
This needed its own thread?

I don't see the Ware thing. He looks like the epitome of average to me. Not explosive enough to contribute at tailback. I personally view him as a guy that you can cut and get somebody his equal sitting on the streets. He's smart and a special teamer so keep him around, whatever.

I think the intangibles with Lynch are far more important than the numbers. Dude might be the toughest guy in the NFL. You better believe that has an effect on the entire roster. He is the model our whole team tries to follow. I don't know if it works the same without him.

It was a little weird listening to Pete talk about him in past tense the other day. It just sounds to me like nobody is really too worried about it yet. These next few days tell us the whole story.

dunceface

Reaction score
I read the OP like he was really yelling for the parts in all caps hahaha

themunn

Reaction score
Tokadub":39jecisb said:
3) TURBIN SUCKS!

He cannot fill Lynch's shoes. We have given him so many opportunities but he just really can't do this with our terrible Offensive Line. He looks totally out of his league, like a misfit that our coaches for some reason love (I'm guessing it's his character and work ethic).

If he had the attitude I suspect Christine Michael had last season... Turbin would of been cut by now. He flat out sucks and our coaches are just trying to give him WAY TOO MANY CHANCES BECAUSE HE'S A GOOD GUY AND WE DO NEED A LYNCH REPLACEMENT SOON.

Turbin Career Stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertturbin/2533460/careerstats

Average Rushing Yards/Attempt: 3.9 yards (3.4 in 2013)...
Best Run: 26 yards (15 yards in 2013 with 77 attempts)...
1st down %: 15.3% (11.7% in 2013)...

So Turbin has TERRIBLE career stats and he HAS GOTTEN SIGNIFICANTLY WORST FROM 2012 to 2013. Some of this can be blamed on our offensive line but anyone hoping for them to magically become good this year is dreaming. I honestly think our offensive line will be about the same if not slighty worst than last season...

If that's the case Turbin should be cut he's worthless and his 11% first down percentage is laughable on an offense with Percy Harvin.

Using Turbin's 1st down %age against him is a bit unfair, of the 77 carries Turbin had in 2013, 60 of them came on 1st or 2nd and more than 8 yards to go (all of his 1st down carries were with more than 8 yards to go), that's 78% of his carries with an unlikely chance of hitting a first down without a run of 8+ yards, which if he was hitting consistently would make him a top NFL back instead of NFL backup.

With only 6 carries within 2 yards of the first down marker, is it any surprise his %age is so low?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. Do you honestly believe players would be candid about a teammates contract negotiations even if they knew? I doubt it

2. You're ripping on the staff for their behavior on a topic that is both uncomfortable and pressurized because of the distraction it stirs. Classic Tokadub

Lynch will show when he shows, there's a chance he might not and that his own damn choice "to honor the contract that he signed 2 years ago". That choice does not belong Wilson's, not Sherman's, not Baldwin's, not Carroll's, and not Schneider's but Lynch.

3. Turbin doesn't suck. And take it from someone who once though that. He's great as a receiver and a pass-blocker. He has good power and has developed the attitude to use it plus good speed. What he lacks is balance and lateral movement, which apparently what he worked to improve this off-season. If he can raise that to adequate levels, Turbin has all the tools to be a solid starter in the NFL.

Marshawn Lynch? No one is Beast Mode... he's a unique throwback and an even more unique character.

Yet, the true success of the running game is the only thing you're underrating at this point based on past performance that was laden with injuries, inexperience, and no chemistry. Yeah, I'm talking about the Offensive Line.

I'm not going to talk about the pass-protection because that remains to be seen with a recovering Okung and a rookie RT who needs to get better in that regard.

But with a healthy and better conditioned Carpenter. A bounce back year for Unger. And a bigger, stronger, more experienced bad ass in Sweezy and whomever they line-up at Tackle: Okung/Bailey or Britt/Bowie... the run-blocking potential has a very real, and a very dominant ceiling.

Turbin is not Lynch: he can't improvise on spot nor can he scrap like a beast and intimidate tacklers. What he does have is quality vision and an understanding how the ZBS works, better Offensive Line play = bigger holes. And one thing Turbin has shown the propensity to do even though most of them were called back on ticky tack holds is burst through giant holes for big gains.

Others thing you fail to mention because you just focus on and feed off of the half glass empty approach in the potential absence of Marshawn Lynch is:

The electric, explosive, athletic, but still very physical Christine Michael.

The big, tough as nails bruiser in Spencer Ware who is like a poor man's Lynch without the deceptive 2nd gear.

And the do-it-all superior athleticism of both Percy Harvin and for a QB, Russell Wilson.

So no does Turbin replace Lynch? Probably not.

But can the three RBs all hungry for opportunity: Turbin, Michael, Ware plus Harvin, and Wilson behind what should be an improved O-Line make up the production?

Yeah, I think so and probably more. Cable's ZBS seemingly has produced some of top RB committees at Atlanta and Oakland, .

Lynch should be here because he's symbolic of the change of culture and if I were the team I would work with him to make him happy and stay committed to his craft. But I'm not the team and I can understand both sides of the argument.

And right now losing Lynch will sting but it won't collapse an offense: players will step up: runner, blockers, receivers; the Seahawks will adjust to their strengths and Wilson will have a tremendous opportunity to carry more of the workload and be the tone-setter.

I will say this about Lynch, regardless, if he gets the "new money" he probably deserves, if his heart is not in football, if he only cares about his bank account and his own priorities with his own personal agenda rather than the team's priorities, and team's agenda. If money takes the precedent over winning, then I rather he just stay away.

I love Lynch for all the incredible sacrifice he has given up for the team but if he's not ALL IN, if he's not 100% Committed then the smart decision would to be to get it over with and pass the baton. And I would think this about any player regardless of stature but this is also why most guys show up to camp and compete.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I don't think ML has ever made PC comfortable. It's probable that ML doesn't know what he is going to do right now.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1zghgmnq said:
1. Do you honestly believe players would be candid about a teammates contract negotiations even if they knew? I doubt it

Great post. Point 1 nails it though.

All players know this is a business and don't want to stick their noses in other players business. They may be in that situation someday too. Pete and John of course know it's a business.

they all generally let the agent and front office do everything behind the scenes. No reason to air any of this publicly. They will all just be vague in answers. except for ADB. :)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score

sc85sis

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1omgq4h5 said:
For once Terry Blount produced an interesting note.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/7366/seahawks-can-thrive-with-or-without-lynch

In the games where Lynch rushed for less than 70 yards, the Hawks were 7-0. I wouldn't have suspected that.

@Car 17 carries for 43 yards
Jax 17 carries for 69 yards
@STL 8 carries for 23 yards
Min 17 carries for 54 Yards
NO 16 carries for 45 yards
@NYG 16 carries for 47 yards
SB 15 carries for 39 yards
Not to stray off topic, but that does show that Russ isn't just a game manager (in the negative sense of that term).

As for Lynch, he comes back or he doesn't. This won't be the first time a team has (possibly) had to move on from a player. Next guy or guys up. Sure, we'd all prefer he come back, but I'm not going to freak out in the meantime.

MB12

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":vce6nkat said:
For once Terry Blount produced an interesting note.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/7366/seahawks-can-thrive-with-or-without-lynch

In the games where Lynch rushed for less than 70 yards, the Hawks were 7-0. I wouldn't have suspected that.

@Car 17 carries for 43 yards
Jax 17 carries for 69 yards
@STL 8 carries for 23 yards
Min 17 carries for 54 Yards
NO 16 carries for 45 yards
@NYG 16 carries for 47 yards
SB 15 carries for 39 yards
Great little fact that! I guess Blount had to produce something noteworthy eventually...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Blount may be drawing the wrong conclusion from that stat. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

It may be just another quantification of the Beast Mode effect.

The key to Lynch's contribution to the Hawk's success is not only in his individual game production, it is also in his potential production. His potential keeps a defense off balance. Sure, a defense can hold him to under 70 yards in a game, but it will require them to over commit to stopping him. This opens up other options for the offense that might not be there if another player was in the backfield. It takes fewer defenders to hold a Mendenhall or a Spiller to a 70 yard game than it does to keep Lynch in check and that is part of the Beast Mode effect.

Last season I became progressively happier each time I saw a team commit to stopping Lynch early in the game. It felt like a sure win for us. This stat shows that that feeling wasn't completely unreasonable.

- bsd

MB12

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3b1z52cn said:
Blount may be drawing the wrong conclusion from that stat. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

The key to Lynch's contribution to the Hawk's success is not only in his individual game production, it is also in his potential production. His potential keeps a defense off balance. Sure, a defense can hold him to under 70 yards in a game, but it will require them to over commit to stopping him. This opens up other options for the offense that might not be there if another player was in the backfield. It takes fewer defenders to hold a Mendenhall or a Spiller to a 70 yard game than it does to keep Lynch in check and that is part of the Beast Mode effect.

Last season I became progressively happier each time I saw a team commit to stopping Lynch early in the game. It felt like a sure win for us. This stat shows that that feeling wasn't completely unreasonable.

- bsd

Yeh I think he is, but the stat itself is interesting--but in order to emphasise Lynch's contribution. Good post :)

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3aec3c7b said:

- bsd

This 100%

OkieHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3naeaks7 said:
Sure, we'd all prefer he come back, but I'm not going to freak out in the meantime.

This sums up my feelings on the matter as well. :thirishdrinkers:

Riley12

Reaction score
kearly":32sd1oro said:
Tokadub, Tokadub, Tokadub! (poof).

I said that into a mirror once and Stephen A. Smith appeared, carrying Skip Bayless in a little basket like a scene from Basket Case.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There are three certainties in life.

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. No one knows what Marshawn Lynch will do in any situation. Ever.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":2nahp1lo said:
Our coaches and staff seem to be a bit stressed out and uncharacteristically stuttering and fumbling with their interviews. It's almost like they are truly stressed out about this Lynch situation to the point that they can't even focus on what they are saying.
Hahaha come on man. I've seen/heard basically every Pete Carroll press conference since he arrived here and they all sound like this. He talks a mile a minute and gets ahead of himself. "umm" is his filler word he uses till he's back on track. Same word most people use for the same reason.
"Yeah umm... I'm disappointed he's not here umm... by his choice you know (sigh) umm... I'm really focused on the guys that are here and that have been with us and who are working really hard and all (sigh)... just a comment about that is uh... we had a substantial plan in in in in uh (sigh) working for us for years now and uh Marshawn was a big part of this plan and and uh just a couple years back we made a big statement (sigh) we made a big statement, a big effort for him, we we wish he was here with us now. And uh... but this is a tremendous opportunity for the guys who are getting their shot and umm... Turbin and Michael are ready to go and really fired up ready to take full advantage of it."
Those weren't "sighs". He was taking a breath of air. Sheesh. A person giving observation on a person's speech and body language and can't tell the difference between inhaling and exhaling. :roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
He may not have rushed for a bunch of yards but his pass blocking and threat to get the ball still adds to the offense. Nobody credits his ability to pick up a rusher.