FYI: Here's what I posted to the Denver Post

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
It is interesting how many Bronco fans are fixated on the Seahawks: lots of hate, revenge, bad-mouthing, etc.

When it comes to the Denver Broncos, Seahawk fans and players just don't care -- we really don't. Absolutely no one gets worked up about the Broncos and no one even talks about them. They are just another team on the pre-season and regular season schedule. Some Seahawk fans can't help themselves when they see all the anti-Seahawk commotion in Denver and just have to come over and give the Broncos a tweak every once in a while. Sorry, it's their idea of fun and you have to admit, you are asking for it. Think about it: you are providing comic relief to the people of Seattle during the serious business of building a team for the season.

The Seahawks have a philosophy of taking one game at a time and not fixating on any future games. Players and fans don't talk about week 3 because we are focusing on each pre-season game, then week 1 with the Packers. They treat every game like a championship game, so when they got to the Super Bowl last season, they had already experienced it 18 times before. Their goal is to play hard, to go 1-0 every game, including the pre-season, when they are evaluating players. Part of the evaluation of young players trying out for the team is to see how hard they compete.

This philosophy of hard-nosed toughness is real. It was crystallized in 2010, Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider's first year with the team, when the Seahawks got rag-dolled by Tom Cable's Oakland Raiders. Carroll and Schneider talk about how they played scared and gave up, how it was the most embarrassing and depressing thing they had ever experienced, and how they vowed that night that it would never happen again. They did not fixate on the Raiders, bad-mouth them, claim they were just having a bad day or point at their ridiculously long list of injured players that year. They gave the Oakland Raiders their due credit and then gave them their sincerest form of flattery: they imitated them. From that day on, Carroll and Schneider were committed to developing an identity of toughness. The turnaround and commitment to their new identity was real and immediate. The Seahawks fought their way into the playoffs with a 7-9 record and upset the defending champion Saints in the Beast Quake game. The next season, they hired Tom Cable, when he became available, as assistant head coach in charge of toughness. Schneider says that is the first thing he looks at when evaluating a player. He looks for players who he wants on his team for a street fight, who can and will brutalize other teams. He actually visualizes them in a street fight and once they pass that evaluation, he then thinks about how they would do when they roll out a football during the fight.

The culmination of that is what Denver ran into in the Super Bowl.

It's actually very flattering that an entire team, fan base and region are so fixated with us, even if they are spewing a lot of hate at anything they can dream up about us. We think it would be dangerous to focus so much on one team and one regular season game and especially on the first pre-season game. There is a possibility that energy that should be used on other teams, particular within the division, is being expended on the Seahawks.

I am not criticizing: we have our philosophy and you have yours. To each their own.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
You might have added that the Broncos had lost that game the moment that Chancellor made it known with his first hit, that they weren't going to allow them to just go off on them like they'd done all Season long, against inferior Defenses.
It instilled a fear that they just couldn't shake after that.
The Broncos were smart enough to try and address their deficiencies this off Season, as they knew that they couldn't stay the course that they were on.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
You young whippersnappers might not care a whit about the Broncos, but I was overjoyed that our first Super Bowl win came against them. Storybooks don't end that well.

It was the BRONCOS.

Ahhh! All you young fools remember are 49ers and maybe the Rams.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SalishHawkFan":327k2tda said:
You young whippersnappers might not care a whit about the Broncos, but I was overjoyed that our first Super Bowl win came against them. Storybooks don't end that well.

It was the BRONCOS.

Word. I wanted that in XL*.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm 26 and remember the Elway Broncos... I hated em cuz my dad did, my grandpa was a huge Bronco fan though I dunno what was wrong with him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe the Seahawks are undefeated against the Broncos in the playoffs. I know they played in the wildcard game in 1983 and the Seahawks manhandled the Elway led Broncos then too.

HansGruber

Reaction score
The old guys probably hate the Raiders more since they beat us in the 1983 AFCCG. I was at the Coliseum to watch it happen and hated em until Zombie Davis drove the team into perpetual misfortune

kpak76

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":21fkduvn said:

It was the BRONCOS.

Good thing I'm not one of those "youngsters" LOL. I myself remember those epic beatdowns we suffered from the Donks during the Ground Knox years. You're right, it is satisfying that it was the Donks.

kpak76

Reaction score
HansGruber":1t3erpwl said:
The old guys probably hate the Raiders more since they beat us in the 1983 AFCCG. I was at the Coliseum to watch it happen and hated em until Zombie Davis drove the team into perpetual misfortune

Actually I hated the Chiefs more. Every year we went into Arrowhead we ALWAYS walked out with a L on the schedule. It was maddening. How many years did it take for us to finally win one out of there? Worst part is, the Chiefs where never that good during those years either.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Raiders were easily atop my AFC West hate list, but I was also a bit too young to remember our battles with Denver in the early 80s. I became a fan in the early 90s, near the end of the Knox era.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I actually never really grew a hatred for the Broncos. I loved watching Terrell Davis play and was actually pulling for Denver in Super Bowl 32.

The Raiders were probably the AFCW team I liked the least. I grew up in the middle of Dallas Cowboy country though so during the 90's, they were the team I loathed.

McG

Reaction score
I'm 32 and I still remember my dad wearing the Raider Haters with the "no" symbol across their logo. With that said, the team we hated the most were the Donkeys. The fact we beat them was a double victory, but personally IDC about them any more. I hate the 49ers way more than I ever hated the Donkeys just based on their HC, that guy gives new meaning to the term asshole.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Yeah I just never really understood the Broncos hate. We never really battled them in the playoffs, they never sent us home. By the time John Elway was getting beat-up in the Superbowl, the Raiders were riding the legend of Marcus Allen, and Kenny Easley was long gone and Seattle was kind of going into a slow decline. I loved the Krieg years but nobody really believed we'd get by All-American Elway, darling of the media. And there were never really those battles like with the Raiders.

The Raiders in 1983 - 1984 were a juggernaut. They'd been a dynasty for almost a decade by that point, and they were really damn good and just BRUTAL. I remember watching Lyle Alzado decking people and knocking them out cold, and half that team wearing casts that they'd use as weapons. Fist-fights, late hits, straight-up barbaric nastiness on every play.

Being at the Coliseum in 1983 on a dark grey day, watching those bastards play dirty football against us, watching the late hits on Largent and Kreig, oh man. That crowd was insane and makes the modern Raiders fans in Oakland look like pussycats. It was legitimately dangerous at the Coliseum unlike anything you see today. Back then, you didn't have metal scanners or cops in the parking lots. You were on your own. Luckily my father was a very large man physically, and a diehard Raiders fan, so he got us safely in and out of the Coliseum. But he made a point of laughing in my face when Lester Hayes picked off Kreig on that first drive.

What I remember most though was all the dirty play on the field. The Seahawks played their guts out, but they were clean. The Raiders didn't worry themselves with rules. All day long Alzado and Hayes and the rest of that defense were clobbering guys, literally punching them in the face, throwing helmets at people, clubbing Largent with the casts, going after Curt Warner's knees, you name it. Kreig was getting clobbered mercilessly, late hits on almost every down. Back then, you'd see crazy stuff like Alzado coming in 5 seconds after a throw and just clobbering Zorn and Kreig - stuff that would be a 15-yard penalty today, but no flags back then. We brought in Zorn because Kreig was just getting pummeled and the Raiders stepped up the violence. I remember watching Zorn get punched in the face while on the ground. It hurt to watch that beatdown and then see the Raiders win it all against the Redskins. My dad gloated all year long.

It was so wonderful watching the Seahawks beat those Raiders the next year in the wildcard. And yes, I gloated right back. Got right in my dad's face and talked some major smack. He just laughed and bragged about the rings. Raiders fans were the 49er fans of the early 80's. They had a handful of rings and one of the greatest coaches in NFL history to show for it, not to mention one of the most dominant nasty defenses of all time (I think they were better and meaner than the Steelers). The Donkeys at that time were nobodies, just like the Whiners. They were right there with the Creamsicle Bucs and powder-puff Patriots for irrelevant franchises until All-American Elway showed up with his horse-toothed grin.

As to the Whiners, I love watching my dad laugh at them to this day. He is probably the last person a Whiners fan wants to meet. He HATED our Superbowl win, and I made sure to call him up and talk trash. Perhaps the biggest compliment to the Seahawks is what my dad said to me before hanging up: "You know who that Legion of Boom reminds me of? The late-70's Raiders secondary. Your defense is as good as any I ever saw in Oakland or LA." HUGE praise there. While I hate the Raiders with every ounce of my being, they were a far more dominant dynasty for a much longer period of time than anything San Francisco or Denver has ever seen.

Largent80

Reaction score
HansGruber":2cramt12 said:
Yeah I just never really understood the Broncos hate. We never really battled them in the playoffs, they never sent us home. By the time John Elway was getting beat-up in the Superbowl, the Raiders were riding the legend of Marcus Allen, and Kenny Easley was long gone and Seattle was kind of going into a slow decline. I loved the Krieg years but nobody really believed we'd get by All-American Elway, darling of the media. And there were never really those battles like with the Raiders.

The Raiders in 1983 - 1984 were a juggernaut. They'd been a dynasty for almost a decade by that point, and they were really damn good and just BRUTAL. I remember watching Lyle Alzado decking people and knocking them out cold, and half that team wearing casts that they'd use as weapons. Fist-fights, late hits, straight-up barbaric nastiness on every play.

Being at the Coliseum in 1983 on a dark grey day, watching those bastards play dirty football against us, watching the late hits on Largent and Kreig, oh man. That crowd was insane and makes the modern Raiders fans in Oakland look like pussycats. It was legitimately dangerous at the Coliseum unlike anything you see today. Back then, you didn't have metal scanners or cops in the parking lots. You were on your own. Luckily my father was a very large man physically, and a diehard Raiders fan, so he got us safely in and out of the Coliseum. But he made a point of laughing in my face when Lester Hayes picked off Kreig on that first drive.

What I remember most though was all the dirty play on the field. The Seahawks played their guts out, but they were clean. The Raiders didn't worry themselves with rules. All day long Alzado and Hayes and the rest of that defense were clobbering guys, literally punching them in the face, throwing helmets at people, clubbing Largent with the casts, going after Curt Warner's knees, you name it. Kreig was getting clobbered mercilessly, late hits on almost every down. Back then, you'd see crazy stuff like Alzado coming in 5 seconds after a throw and just clobbering Zorn and Kreig - stuff that would be a 15-yard penalty today, but no flags back then. We brought in Zorn because Kreig was just getting pummeled and the Raiders stepped up the violence. I remember watching Zorn get punched in the face while on the ground. It hurt to watch that beatdown and then see the Raiders win it all against the Redskins. My dad gloated all year long.

It was so wonderful watching the Seahawks beat those Raiders the next year in the wildcard. And yes, I gloated right back. Got right in my dad's face and talked some major smack. He just laughed and bragged about the rings. Raiders fans were the 49er fans of the early 80's. They had a handful of rings and one of the greatest coaches in NFL history to show for it, not to mention one of the most dominant nasty defenses of all time (I think they were better and meaner than the Steelers). The Donkeys at that time were nobodies, just like the Whiners. They were right there with the Creamsicle Bucs and powder-puff Patriots for irrelevant franchises until All-American Elway showed up with his horse-toothed grin.

As to the Whiners, I love watching my dad laugh at them to this day. He is probably the last person a Whiners fan wants to meet. He HATED our Superbowl win, and I made sure to call him up and talk trash. Perhaps the biggest compliment to the Seahawks is what my dad said to me before hanging up: "You know who that Legion of Boom reminds me of? The late-70's Raiders secondary. Your defense is as good as any I ever saw in Oakland or LA." HUGE praise there. While I hate the Raiders with every ounce of my being, they were a far more dominant dynasty for a much longer period of time than anything San Francisco or Denver has ever seen.

What an awesome post. Some of you in here ought to read this and emulate it.