NET Q&A - Edgar Hansen of Deadliest Catch

RockHawk

Reaction score
.NET
I'm pleased to announce that Edgar Hansen, star of the hit show Deadliest Catch, has agreed to do a Q&A with our community! Edgar is the Deckboss and Relief Captain of the Northwestern, a fishing vessel based out of Ballard Washington, and more importantly, he's a diehard Seahawks fan.
Edgar-Hansen-Matt-Bradley-Northwestern-Seattle-Seahawks.jpg

So please post your questions for Edgar in this topic or email them to admins(at)seahawks.net and we'll select the best ones to send to Edgar, especially ones involving our Seahawks!

In the meantime, be sure to visit their website and support them by purchasing their excellent coffee, Northwestern Grind!
http://www.northwesterngrind.com/
I personally bought 2 bags last week and we really enjoyed it out camping in the mountains. I highly recommend it to you coffee lovers out there!

I'll post more about Edgar and the Northwestern once the Q&A is posted, but until then, feel free to learn about him and their boat here:
http://fvnorthwestern.com/
Northwestern edgar hansen crew

And big thanks to Lucy Nicandri, Edgar's publicist, for helping set this up!

McG

Reaction score
The Northwestern is my favorite boat on that show and has been from the very start, my wife and I love this show. Probably our favorite show to watch together. We wish they would have hour long spin-offs that feature just one boat as a series. Like "Deadliest Catch-Northwestern", much like they did with some of those single episodes where they showed the history of the Northwestern, but show it just like the regular Deadliest Catch shows.

My question- How big of football/Seahawk fans are you and the guys, do you ever plan off-loads around the football schedule? (I've seen the episodes were you guys are going crazy over the Superbowl). Thanks!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Question: Do you guys manage to catch the games, and if so, how ? ( I know crab season is later than salmon season, but I don 't know how much overlap the crab and football seasons are).

pmedic920

Reaction score
Edgar, I enjoy the show and love to eat crab.
2 part question ,
Do y'all eat any of the catch?
And what's the best way for me to get high quality FRESH crab, down in Texas?
I've offered many times to trade big, top quality Gulf Shrimp.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Edgar - Huge fan of the show as well. I like you better that I like Sig... but don't tell him that. :lol:

Q. Are you guys in town for any part of the football season? If so, when?

Q. And assuming that you are, would you, or perhaps you and Sig in tandem, raise the 12th Man flag at the Clink if you were asked?... and how big of a thrill would that be for you personally to have the honor of raising the flag?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Multiple questions:
My old roommate used to be a crabber and he talked about seeing multiple sunrises without sleep. Do you guys ever get a period where you can catch up on sleep? As the "engineer" and deck boss do you get less than the rest of the crew? How do you guys function with so little of it?

DynoHawk

Reaction score
Question: Exactly how nerve racking was it to have your niece one the boat for crab season and how long was she there?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":s4yy6fy4 said:
Edgar - Huge fan of the show as well. I like you better that I like Sig... but don't tell him that. :lol:

Q. And assuming that you are, would you, or perhaps you and Sig in tandem, raise the 12th Man flag at the Clink if you were asked?... and how big of a thrill would that be for you personally to have the honor of raising the flag?

Sig has already done it.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... ff35737dc9

SheAndTheSea

Reaction score
Love the Northwestern! Met Edgar in 2013 & he was just one of the most genuine people I've ever had the pleasure of talking to.

Edgar, it seems like you guys have greater access to Wi-Fi and other tech that lets you check in from the boat during your seasons more than ever...I remember seeing that great pic of you and Matt holding the Seahawks flag when it was taken. Are you guys able to keep in touch with the rest of the world more now with your smart phones, and has this affected life on board or productivity?

Hawkfan509

Reaction score
Edgar. Could you please do us all a favor, and blast that Punk Elliot in the grill if the opportunity presents itself

Thanks
Hawkfan509

drcool

Reaction score
Northwestern has always been my favorite boat on Deadliest Catch.

My question: How many days a year are you actually out on the boat between all the different crab and fishing seasons?

grizbob

Reaction score
Very cool of you to do this Edgar, THANK YOU!!

So how many championships do you see the Hawks winning before you have to retire from crabbing? (I'm guessing more than 2) :th2thumbs:

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
When is the Deadliest Catch group going to raise the 12th Man Flag?

Deadliest Catch has done as much as anyone to promote the Seahawks.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Love the show Edgar; despite the occasional (and inevitable) arguments, your ship seems to be the tightest run and most successful year to year. Doing this kind of work you have to be an adrenaline junky to some extent. When you retire, what do you see yourself doing? What would measure up to the grind and satisfaction of doing such a hard and dangerous job?

TXHawk

Reaction score
I worked as a deckhand on a king crab boat called the Gulf Winds in the Bering Sea for a few seasons during the late '80s. I had no idea that other people would consider what we were doing entertaining or I would have brought my video camera!

Anyway while we're waiting for Edgar I thought some of you might like to see a few of my pictures:

Cedaa68f4d5d5254b1fc9449e1214186

Me circa 1989 with a good haul of king crab just prior to offloading onto the tender

6f9e6b7b2b07417c3272fc88bd3f30b3

Donny taking the plunge in a survival suit on a rare calm day on the Bering Sea near St Matthew Island

7c43bad3b675c67cb8858968ea3f63f3

The Gulf Winds

F3b93f7062d68925511fae4ec39ca7a1

Mt Redoubt near our home base of Kenai, AK

Latest posts