Anyone think we threw the ball a little too much?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Now hear me out.

The first or maybe second drive? of the 2nd half. MArshawn ripped two straight 10 plus yard gains. Turbo comes in rips another 10 yarder. Then we throw 3 straight incompletions!

It was clear they couldn't stop the beast. He had over 100 yards but it could of been 150 plus..imo.

Basis4day

Reaction score
My perception of the game was that we used the first half to spread the packers D horizontally, mostly through Percy. It wasn't until the 2nd half that they really started feeding Marshawn. I'll need to rewatch to see if that was actually the reality.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
gowazzu02":25cwyk6e said:
Now hear me out.

The first or maybe second drive? of the 2nd half. MArshawn ripped two straight 10 plus yard gains. Turbo comes in rips another 10 yarder. Then we throw 3 straight incompletions!

It was clear they couldn't stop the beast. He had over 100 yards but it could of been 150 plus..imo.
No. This is the offense they wanted to run LAST year. It will be more balanced maybe even slightly more passing because passing it to Percy is literally a running play anyway. They basically spread the field out first then started running Lynch wild. I would say get used to it because it's unstoppable.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3cqle6ai said:
gowazzu02":3cqle6ai said:
Now hear me out.

Patience, my little flower. All good things to those who wait. We won convincingly, it's okay for us to try different things. No need to give Lynch more carries than necessary, keep him fresh. Don't want to become predictable, either. Bevell called a hell of a game last night. Not every play is going to work every time. Be happy. We're going to win the superbowl again this year.

I know I know I know!!! Just a pet peeve of mine, when your gashing a defense with the run, then you go away from it 3 straight plays and punt/kick a field goal I get a little frustrated! haha

HawkWow

Reaction score
But then you remember one of the reasons Lynch ran with such relative ease last night was because of the threat of the pass. You can't have it both ways and when your QB is near perfect, surrounded by sure handed WRS, TEs and hybrids that not only position themselves correctly for the catch, but turn defender in a nano second to prevent the int, you embrace that balance. Thinks me.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Largent80":1ltp9jx4 said:
Bevell called the best game I have ever seen called by a Hawk O.C.

This nails it, for me. That was glorious. Lynch and Harvin each open up space for others in such a glorious way, and Bevell built the gameplan around it.

I'm, like, high on it, man.

Attachments

• The_Dude.jpeg
    The_Dude.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,320

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2oz6wb0d said:
Now hear me out.

E56a3

kearly

Reaction score
It definitely felt like Seattle got away from the run in the 3rd quarter, which coincided with Seattle having a few difficult drives all of a sudden. There was a 1st and goal from the nine where I was literally screaming "RUN THE FREAKING BALL" at the TV. Seattle had two ineffective passes, and one nice run down to the two yard line. They ended up kicking a FG.

Yes, it did feel like Seattle passed too much in this game, but that's mostly because Lynch was so unstoppable, and because Green Bay's secondary played very well I thought. Had it been an ordinary game for Lynch I would be just fine, if not encouraged, by the willingness to pass. The one thing that disappointed me is that this new offense with Harvin seems to have sacrficed the deep ball. I expect Wilson's YPA to drop quite a bit this season until the figure out how to get the 50 yard pass play back in the offense.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is a no turnover ball control offense first. Doesn't matter if that is pass or run...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3cheuhmi said:
It definitely felt like Seattle got away from the run in the 3rd quarter, which coincided with Seattle having a few difficult drives all of a sudden. There was a 1st and goal from the nine where I was literally screaming "RUN THE FREAKING BALL" at the TV. Seattle had two ineffective passes, and one nice run down to the two yard line. They ended up kicking a FG.

Yes, it did feel like Seattle passed too much in this game, but that's mostly because Lynch was so unstoppable, and because Green Bay's secondary played very well I thought. Had it been an ordinary game for Lynch I would be just fine, if not encouraged, by the willingness to pass. The one thing that disappointed me is that this new offense with Harvin seems to have sacrficed the deep ball. I expect Wilson's YPA to drop quite a bit this season until the figure out how to get the 50 yard pass play back in the offense.

On the 3rd quarter goal-line series (I think after Maxwell's INT), I thought Seattle actually had a good plan on the second play - where Russell ended up throwing it out of bounds. It was a double read option, where they ultimately were playing of Shields (as far as I could see.) If Shields comes back to Russell, it's an easy throw to, I think, Kearse. If he doesn't, Russell runs in for the score.

Unfortunately, Matthews, who was initially fooled, made up ground on Russell in a hurry, and Wilson had to get rid of it because he couldn't turn the corner without taking a big loss. So I thought Seattle had a good plan for it, but it was one of those tip your cap moments. So it was more of a 1 pass, 1 run, 1 either, which is about as balanced as you can get.

They should have run first and thrown third, but I get that Bevell probably thought Green Bay would expect that. (Still should have done it, but meh.)

Cartire

Reaction score
Damned if you do, Damned if you dont here on .net.

Just glad Pete is the coach and Bevell is the OC. If .net ran the team, we would be worse off then the browns.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":31haq0md said:

Good insight but I actually believe Green Bay is a strong rush team and their secondary is far above league average. Lets see Keapernick deal with the exact same before downplaying our pedestrian receivers.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could be the staff didn't want to ask Britt to pass protect for the deep ball in his first game if it wasn't nessisary?

Rainger

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ad2xqasx said:
gowazzu02":ad2xqasx said:
Now hear me out.

No. This is the offense they wanted to run LAST year. It will be more balanced maybe even slightly more passing because passing it to Percy is literally a running play anyway. They basically spread the field out first then started running Lynch wild. I would say get used to it because it's unstoppable.
THIS:

sutz

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3b3ht05g said:
Could be the staff didn't want to ask Britt to pass protect for the deep ball in his first game if it wasn't nessisary?
Against Julius Peppers, who may be old, but still has some game left.

I don't think we threw too much. Part of what we're doing, too, is projecting forward. Our upcoming opponents will be reviewing film and trying to counter what we did. I think they'll be impressed. ;)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
sutz":hi6u1bpt said:
brimsalabim":hi6u1bpt said:
Against Julius Peppers, who may be old, but still has some game left.

I don't think we threw too much. Part of what we're doing, too, is projecting forward. Our upcoming opponents will be reviewing film and trying to counter what we did. I think they'll be impressed. ;)
I expect 60 plays a game for us 50/50 pass/run. Percy by himself is a no huddle offense.