Sherman covering #1 receiver

northseahawk

Reaction score
I think its time for this, especially against a team with a clear cut superstar receiver like Dez Bryant. Maxwell is just not able to handle the load. I know for Sherman, its a matter of disrespect to Maxwell, but this needs to be done. Its the NFL, not some ymca football, where everyone should be kept happy. If you don't have what it takes, you don't belong. Maxwell is a fine player, just not capable to handle #1 receivers. Plus, we shouldn't pay $14 million to Sherman to cover 2s and 3s. Teams are trying to take Sherman away from the game and I see it as a reason why we are giving up more passing yards than usual this year.

I hope they put Sherman on Dez Bryant this week all game long. I trust Maxwell against their other guys, but Dez will eat him up.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
northseahawk":3dh5sot7 said:
I think its time for this, especially against a team with a clear cut superstar receiver like Dez Bryant. Maxwell is just not able to handle the load. I know for Sherman, its a matter of disrespect to Maxwell, but this needs to be done. Its the NFL, not some ymca football, where everyone should be kept happy. If you don't have what it takes, you don't belong. Maxwell is a fine player, just not capable to handle #1 receivers. Plus, we shouldn't pay $14 million to Sherman to cover 2s and 3s. Teams are trying to take Sherman away from the game and I see it as a reason why we are giving up more passing yards than usual this year.

I hope they put Sherman on Dez Bryant this week all game long. I trust Maxwell against their other guys, but Dez will eat him up.

You don't jeopardize the integrity of the defense just to make the fans happy. As Sherman has said, There are ways to "help" out within the system. There is no reason to change for Dez, especially since they didn't change for Jordy Nelson or D. Thomas.

Also if you look at the other "elite" CB's they aren't doing following of the #1's, infact most are staying on 1-side for the bulk of the time, this includes P.Peterson & D. Revis.

Cartire

Reaction score
northseahawk":11gp5nee said:

Its far more then just disrespect. Its against the scheme. CB's are notably better playing on one side where they can constantly use muscle memory to make the correct moves.

Even Revis and Peterson this year are staying primarily on one side. Coaches are starting to understand the benifits of this and its working.

Only Haden is still following #1's on most plays and hes having his worst year to date.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I expect Dez to move around a lot, so he will surely match up vs Sherm a few times. Linehan has been moving him around.

I don't think it's a good idea for a #1 CB to cover the #1 WR every play, anyway.

iigakusei

Reaction score
PS - We won the Superbowl playing this exact same defense.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
OT - Saw an interesting tidbit. Dezzy boi has drawn the most double coverage in the league this year

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sometimes the other team makes plays. You don't need an all-pro to play every position.
Desean Jackson made a play against both Kam/Sherm and Maxwell/Thomas. Give the opponent some credit.

themunn

Reaction score
I'm happy with the opposing team's #1 receiver going for 100+ yards and a TD every game if the other receivers are combining for less, it's only when we allow 3 TDs to TEs that we lose.

That strategy didn't work for Green Bay, it didn't work for Denver, it didn't work for Washington... and it didn't work for San Diego, who threw TDs to Gates all over the shop

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
heard an interesting benefit to Sherman playing only on 1 side.. I think it was Curt Warner who pointed out that it makes it harder for the offense to determine if the Seahawks are in Man or Zone Coverage because Sherman is always on the same side of the field and not following 1 player on man. Not really sure how difficult it is for the defense to determine Man vs. Zone with out without Sherman following a player but its an interesting observation.

I too would like to see how Sherman Matches up against a 1-1 player assignment on a top receiver. Apparently out of 203 something plays, Sherman has been on the same side of the field for like 200 of them. I dont remember the exact numbers but it was something like that. they were talking about it during the Monday night pregame.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If anybody is surprised at the pass defense giving up so many yards, they should look at the offensive priorities and personnel of the first three games, particularly the first three teams.

Emmanuel Sanders (2nd in receiving yards per game), Jordy Nelson (3), and Demaryius Thomas (6) all played this team and are way ahead/have a good lead over Dez Bryant (13).

Dez Bryant isn't the real threat here. If Romo gets to the point where he's chucking the ball around like a maniac it's not in Dallas' favor. DeMarco Murray (and the play action he can induce), is a real threat.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
themunn":1rijvy5h said:
I'm happy with the opposing team's #1 receiver going for 100+ yards and a TD every game if the other receivers are combining for less, it's only when we allow 3 TDs to TEs that we lose.

That strategy didn't work for Green Bay, it didn't work for Denver, it didn't work for Washington... and it didn't work for San Diego, who threw TDs to Gates all over the shop

The Seahawks don't even have a a "#1 receiver" like Bryant. It would be nice to have one, but if you can run the ball it's much less of a necessity.

byau

Reaction score
My vote:

For now keep it as it is. Make teams game plan around you. Mentally that already has us in a better spot as we have already imposed our will upon them. And you're already getting inside their head.

NOW...what would be sweet .. like a pinch hitter, if Sherman covers the other side of the field of the QB is left handed. That would be awesome.

:)

Heck, or even just watching tape and checking stats, if a QB favors the D-right more, have Sherman switch for the whole game.

Heck, to really get into the minds of other teams, why not just "randomly" have Sherman cover the whole D-Right for a quarter or a half? Regardless of receiver ... this would add the same unpredictability tot he D that Harvin has added to the O

Okay not likely, but that'd be sweet to see how other teams react.

AgentDib

Reaction score
DoctorChicken":aoccos08 said:
OT - Saw an interesting tidbit. Dezzy boi has drawn the most double coverage in the league this year
That is mostly due to how top heavy the Cowboys receiving game is compared to a team like ours.

EGGDtcN

Just think about what that would look like if Dez wasn't being double covered so much.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Bryant has gotten really good. He's big, fast and skillful.
I don't think moving Sherm is the answer.
I think beating Romo's A$$ on field is. Keep pressure on Romo, knock Romo on his butt. make Romo run for his life.
IMHO that's how you take Bryant out of the mix.

Treghc

Reaction score
pmedic920":3045f9xd said:
I think beating Romo's A$$ on field is. Keep pressure on Romo, knock Romo on his butt. make Romo run for his life.

That's asking a lot from our "hardly blitz ever" team going up against an o-line like Dallas'.

lobohawk

Reaction score
More concerned how the Hawks handle shifting coverages in Zone when they have two receivers cutting through the same area. Similar to how Denver made their tying touchdown and Washington scored their first TD.

Cartire

Reaction score
lobohawk":vgm5czm0 said:
More concerned how the Hawks handle shifting coverages in Zone when they have two receivers cutting through the same area. Similar to how Denver made their tying touchdown and Washington scored their first TD.

Those werent the only times those plays were run. Theyve covered them fine before.

2 out of the 4 times, the QB extended the play by avoiding the rush before he even threw it. Cousins TD throw, he escaped the pocket with a man on him and then lobbed it. These play designs are good at tackling the scheme, but it still needs everything to fall into place perfectly for it to work.

If it was as simple as just running the play = success, it would have been done far more frequently.

Tical21

Reaction score
We'll see Sherman move to the slot on 3rd downs if Dez lines up there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Treghc":2w0l93ij said:
pmedic920":2w0l93ij said:

That's asking a lot from our "hardly blitz ever" team going up against an o-line like Dallas'.
They played Sherman man to man on Boldin in game 2 last year and shut him down when he had 200 yards the week before. I would do it just to watch Dezzy the mental midget have another meltdown. 8)