QB's picking us apart on crucial drives

Hendo66

Reaction score
This D cannot make the stop when the game is on the line. Opposing QB's are constantly extending drives when it's on the line. Add Austin Davis to the list-

ShaunPope

Reaction score
The pass rush and secondary flat out suck right now. They are a shell of what they were last season, and that includes Earl and Sherman. Earl is playing like someone who got fat and happy with his big contract yet he keeps running his mouth saying things will be fixed. Earl, I love ya, but shut your freakin' pie hole and start making plays.

smerfy01

Reaction score
ShaunPope":3hem2myx said:
The pass rush and secondary flat out suck right now. They are a shell of what they were last season, and that includes Earl and Sherman. Earl is playing like someone who got fat and happy with his big contract yet he keeps running his mouth saying things will be fixed. Earl, I love ya, but shut your freakin' pie hole and start making plays.

everyone that says this needs to pay for all-22 at this point.

Thomas has been playing damn good football, but because of how the defenses are attacking, he's not seeing much action.

Sherman...he's had what? One mediocre game? And that was him giving up 2 catches. He's playing very well. Just because he has no INTs doesn't mean he's having a down year.

redeye81

Reaction score
How often are those QB under pressure? Our pass rush is killing this team..

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
smerfy01":3v578hvc said:
ShaunPope":3v578hvc said:

everyone that says this needs to pay for all-22 at this point.

Thomas has been playing damn good football, but because of how the defenses are attacking, he's not seeing much action.

Sherman...he's had what? One mediocre game? And that was him giving up 2 catches. He's playing very well. Just because he has no INTs doesn't mean he's having a down year.

Ya it would seem everything is going away from where Sherman and Thomas are...they have both been quiet in both making plays and having plays on them

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Defense did stop the Rams before they did the trick punt play. Made the Rams go three and out. Against any other coaching staff, that would be a stop. But Fischer goes for the tricks.

I don't knock the Defense for that drive, they did what they were supposed to do: Got a 3 and Out. The punt play had nothing to do with a QB picking them apart on a crucial drive.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The secondary will be fine once a little more healthy. They didn't lose this game. This defense is probably an utter sieve without Sherman and Thomas.

The pass rush needs to get better. We got some dudes on the D-line making big money. They shouldn't have to rely entirely on the scheme/complimentary players to get to the QB.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
I agree there's no pass rush. But even so, IMO it's these little dunk passes that are killing us. This third-string Davis kid had, what? 35 completions out of 36? Okay I exaggerate, buy really, he had a buttload and hardly any yards. Whose job is it to stop these?

cesame

Reaction score
QB's are basically going after the LB's in coverage and nickel corners.

And it's working.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
Burley was terrible today. Simon was a complete idiot out there. Cliff Avril was iNVISIBLE.

Remember that great preseason Schofield had - that is a distant memory. Pass rush is a major problem.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sherman wraps up better than our linebackers at times. He had himself a game out there.

OP
OP
H

Hendo66

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2cb2y2cp said:
Defense did stop the Rams before they did the trick punt play. Made the Rams go three and out. Against any other coaching staff, that would be a stop. But Fischer goes for the tricks.

I don't knock the Defense for that drive, they did what they were supposed to do: Got a 3 and Out. The punt play had nothing to do with a QB picking them apart on a crucial drive.

Correct.

The back breaker was the Rams previous possession on 3rd down when Givens got a 30 yard play. That led to a score a play or two later putting us down by 9. Brutal

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Our biggest problem is pass rush and defensive line depth. We had an amazing rotation last year which is what you NEED in the NFL. Now Bennett and Avril are playing almost every important snap and they just can't be as effective as they were last year.

The secondary is feeling that but it also doesn't help that your 2nd, 3rd and 4th CBs are out. We are down to our 5th corner and Earl Thomas hovering over him. Give me a healthy secondary and we'd be fine.

hangumhi

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1x5qitat said:

Earl and Richard are the only players I see flying to the ball; especially Earl. How can you say Earl is playing poor? He's in on nearly every tackle, making plays in the backfield and from sideline to sideline. I just don't see what you see I guess. Now if I had to pick, I'd say the line backing crew is a big miss from last year to this year. With so many off season injuries they look hesitant and timid at times. The defensive as a whole is being put in a bad place by a weak strategy in my opinion. I ran more complex schemes coaching high school football than what I'm seeing out of Dan's strategy or lack there of. Everything Dan runs is dependent upon pressure from the front four with minimal stunting and blitzing. If the front four aren't getting pressure with Dan's straight four man rush strategy then of course any quarterback in the league will have an easy time picking the secondary apart. Despite having a defense stacked with talent, this has to be the simplest defense to plan for as an opposing offensive coordinator, especially when you factor in lackluster play by the line backers and of course mediocre corners like Maxwell and the rest of the inexperienced guys we have to go opposite Richard.