Fixing the pass rush...

pehawk

Reaction score
Before the Rams game I was actually okay with the pass rush. No, they weren't getting sacks, but they we're forcing the River's and Romo's of the world to play at their absolute pinnacle, physically and mentally. Sometimes you just get beat and have to tip your cap.

I think Marsh hurt a lot more than people realize. He would've had a good day yesterday, IMO. His tenacity and constant pursuit was hurrying things for the opposition. Hill's also been underrated with his play this year. He's been playing very well, IMO. Sounds like we get Hill back, so that should help a bit (be it substitution's or actual pressure).

In Pete's presser today he mentioned that the Hawks are going there's a "few thing's they're going to work on" in regards to the pressure. So, my question is what do you think that is?

If I had to guess, I bet KPL gets a bit more involved at the expense of Malcolm and Bruce ends up rushing more. I didn't like what I saw from Smith yesterday, at all. IMO a lot of the dink and dunk should've been his responsibility and he whiffed (I may be wrong on that). I cant see how KPL would be a downgrade and he's most likely faster than Smith, maybe, right?

I don't think it's blitzing, really. Especially not if Simon's ankle is serious and until Lane gets back.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Pressure from the ends in my opinion.. I feel like our energy needs to be more spread out on the line. It seemed like everyone was crowded yesterday.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":1jlebtuq said:
Pressure from the ends in my opinion.. I feel like our energy needs to be more spread out on the line. It seemed like everyone was crowded yesterday.

Yup, that's why Marsh is missed. He brought energy, for sure.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":3265yhak said:
HOLLYWOOD":3265yhak said:

Yup, that's why Marsh is missed. He brought energy, for sure.

On a team where rotation is a huge deal at all levels, you can't just count the starting 11 when it comes to injuries. We were missing . . .

Starting CB
Starting NB
Starting MLB
Two backup DL that play significant snaps
And have our probowl SS plauing at maybe 75%?

Now consider that some of those guys plays ST's as well . . . ugh.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We've tried blitzing, hasn't worked.

Our defensive philosophy and schemes are predicated on;

- 4 down lineman getting home
- sound tackling
- rotation of lineman to stay fresh
- pressuring the QB to make poor decisions resulting in turnovers
- sound gap control
- sound cover 3, which means seamless switching of zones

We have been wildly inconsistent on gap control and cover 3, and downright awful at getting home and pressuring with rushing only four.

The bad news is with all the injuries it's just not going to get better. So I'm not sure how Pete can fix the pass rush. There isn't a simple fix, because the only way to fix it is the guys stepping in to play for the injured players are not performing. Period.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
It was brought up in another thread but how about keeping Irvin in rotation at DE? Some people have written him off but I think he still gets pressure on the QB. Just my :twocents:

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Bring Avril, Irvin and Bennett in on third downs and use Schofield and the big boys for running plays. Avril is not an every down back and his body isn't ready for the work load.

Problem Solved!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1bz0hfrq said:
Bring Avril, Irvin and Bennett in on third downs and use Schofield and the big boys for running plays. Avril is not an every down back and his body isn't ready for the work load.

Problem Solved!!!

That'd be a great plan if we knew the other team was going to run on first and second down every time. Avril and Bennett are playing a ton more snaps because they're literally the only two players we have that can rush the passer on passing downs.........and in this league that's over half the snaps.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ft33zo5 said:
seahawk12thman":1ft33zo5 said:

Problem Solved!!!

That'd be a great plan if we knew the other team was going to run on first and second down every time. Avril and Bennett are playing a ton more snaps because they're literally the only two players we have that can rush the passer on passing downs.........and in this league that's over half the snaps.

Last year it was the same recipe. If teams want to pass on 1st down be my guest. It puts them in a predicament when it is 2nd and 10. Clemons rushed the passer and Schofield can do the same thing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3a9vajpf said:
Last year it was the same recipe. If teams want to pass on 1st down be my guest. It puts them in a predicament when it is 2nd and 10. Clemons rushed the passer and Schofield can do the same thing.

Schoefield is nowhere near the player that Clemons is, and neither are the rest of the mediocre scrubs we're running out there right now.

Sorry man, but Big Red, McDonald, Clem > Schoefield, Hill, Scruggs and Williams.

Plugging players into roles and not having a drop off only works if the new players are as talented as the player's they're replacing...........and so far this year it's not even close.

McGruff

Reaction score
OkieHawk":w3rth7ip said:
It was brought up in another thread but how about keeping Irvin in rotation at DE? Some people have written him off but I think he still gets pressure on the QB. Just my :twocents:

I didn't get to watch the game. Did Irvin play mostly OLB? I would guess with the injury to Wags that's how they went.

I'd be inclined to keep Irvin at LEO and baptize KPL at OLB.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jgca2rg said:
seahawk12thman":2jgca2rg said:

Schoefield is nowhere near the player that Clemons is, and neither are the rest of the mediocre scrubs we're running out there right now.

Sorry man, but Big Red, McDonald, Clem > Schoefield, Hill, Scruggs and Williams.

Plugging players into roles and not having a drop off only works if the new players are as talented as the player's they're replacing...........and so far this year it's not even close.

It doesn't have to be. We are getting ZERO production from Avril but for the most part, Bennett is doing a great job in spite of being doubled. Schofield isn't a scrub and I do recall when he was the starting end in place of Irvin; he hit Manning three times so I am not sure where you are getting you info that he isn't in the same league.

Our D line was awesome last year but the good news is we don't need the same production to go back to the super bowl, we just need to be better. Clemons was excellent against the run and efficient against the pass, I don't think the bar is extraordinarily high.

I would love to hear your plan??

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Obrien Schofield got 8 plays against the Rams, we sacked Manning and got 3 other hits on him, why is this man not playing more? Switch him in with Avril if you have to but this is ridiculous.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3vwclh95 said:
It doesn't have to be. We are getting ZERO production from Avril but for the most part, Bennett is doing a great job in spite of being doubled. Schofield isn't a scrub and I do recall when he was the starting end in place of Irvin he hit Manning three times so I am not sure where you are getting you info that he isn't in the same league.

I know he's not as good as Clemons because he's been playing all year and only has three tackles and no sacks, and routinely gets demolished.

I would love to hear your plan??

I don't have a plan, and neither does Pete. Which is why I'm right, because if there was an easy fix as your'e saying then it would have already happened. This is not a scheme issue, it's a talent/injury issue.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3els0csd said:
seahawk12thman":3els0csd said:
It doesn't have to be. We are getting ZERO production from Avril but for the most part, Bennett is doing a great job in spite of being doubled. Schofield isn't a scrub and I do recall when he was the starting end in place of Irvin he hit Manning three times so I am not sure where you are getting you info that he isn't in the same league.

I know he's not as good as Clemons because he's been playing all year and only has three tackles and no sacks, and routinely gets demolished.

I don't have a plan, and neither does Pete. Which is why I'm right, because if there was an easy fix as your'e saying then it would have already happened. This is not a scheme issue, it's a talent/injury issue.

He had a sack against the Broncos and three hits, why are you pulling crap out of your rear end? Pete has a plan, you do not evidently. If you are going to make things up please don't respond and make yourself look silly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1xkb3gla said:
Sgt. Largent":1xkb3gla said:
seahawk12thman":1xkb3gla said:

He had a sack against the Broncos and three hits, why are you pulling crap out of your rear end? Pete has a plan, you do not evidently. If you are going to make things up please don't respond and make yourself look silly.

Can you point out the sack?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1344 ... -schofield

btw, you're the one looking silly comparing Schofield to a guy like Clemons who already has 20 combined tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble this year............for the Jags.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I think Pete will consider blitzing Burley in every obvious passing situation. It may be a smart move...

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1na7rayp said:
seahawk12thman":1na7rayp said:
Sgt. Largent":1na7rayp said:
seahawk12thman":1na7rayp said:

Can you point out the sack?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1344 ... -schofield

btw, you're the one looking silly comparing Schofield to a guy like Clemons who already has 20 combined tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble this year............for the Jags.

Try these:
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/boxscore?g ... 0140921026
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracke ... 21_DEN@SEA

Silly?

They haven't played the same number of snaps all year.
Schofield was the starter weeks 1-3
Clemons had 5 tackles through three weeks..
Schofield 3 tackles.

WOW I stand corrected, light years ahead. :240039: