Golden Tate opens up about Seahawks offer

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
"I'm not going to lie: I thought I would be a hot commodity," Tate said. "I thought I'd have seven or eight teams want me.

"That wasn't the case at all."

The Detroit Lions expressed the most interest, and eventually landed Tate with a five-year, $31 million contract. They beat out the Jets and Jaguars, as well as an offer from the Seahawks that Tate has characterized as "laughable."

And that offer surprised him, considering he led Seattle in receiving with 64 catches for 898 yards and five touchdowns last season. Plus, they won a Super Bowl.

"Their problem," Tate said. "Now they don't have me or Percy (Harvin)."

"Most importantly, we're winning ballgames. That's all that matters. I was OK with having 30 yards a game last year because we were winning and Super Bowl champs. The fact now I get to ball out, and also win games, it doesn't get any better."

"They thought they had five, six, seven top receivers (to choose from) in this (draft) class, so there wasn't a need to pay a lot of money when you could get a rookie for pennies, I guess, relatively speaking," Tate said. "So maybe that's why. But I'm here, I'm wanted here, we're sitting 7-2 and I'm playing decent football."

"I still root for the Seahawks," he said. "That's the team that drafted me, that's the team that gave me the opportunity to be in this position. So I have a lot of respect and appreciation for Seattle.

"I wish the best for them ... except when the play us, obviously."

The Lions do not play the Seahawks in the regular season, which means such a meeting would have to occur in the playoffs.

"Fate will unwind as it must, my English teacher told me," Tate said of a potential matchup against his old team in the postseason. "I think that's Beowulf."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _on_t.html

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I understand the FO's thinking with the Tate situation. They just signed Harvin to a big deal and probably loved the receiver class, and with a RW contract coming up they wanted to save money where they could.

In hindsight, though, not re-signing Tate has to be one of Schnieder and Carroll's biggest regrets. I know I get a little pissed whenever I see him break a tackle in his unique Tate fashion in a Lions uniform.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Still a Golden Tate fan, don't blame him one bit for leaving or Hawks management even though they ended up being on the wrong end of that trade.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trrrroy":hra0dm5m said:
In hindsight, though, not re-signing Tate has to be one of Schnieder and Carroll's biggest regrets. I know I get a little pissed whenever I see him break a tackle in his unique Tate fashion in a Lions uniform.

If John and Pete had one do-over wish, I betcha it'd be not sign Percy and keep Tate for 6-7M a year.

I love Golden, always have. He's everything you want in a football player, tough, never complains and just makes plays.

I certainly understand why we didn't try to match Detroit's offer, as it was way higher than anyone else offered, including us. But doesn't mean I like it.

mikeak

Reaction score
OK I got to say those statement all show class

"I was OK with having 30 yards a game last year because we were winning and Super Bowl champs"

That is everything this team said they were about. Blocking downfield and moving the ball and not care how

Then followed with stating he still roots for him

I tweeted to him last year good luck and ignore all the people complaining about you leaving and I am glad I did. He shows a lot of class with these comments

purpleworld

Reaction score
I love Tate....he gave us everything and helped us win a S.B.....wish he was still a Seahawk!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We don't have him or Percy yet were only 1 game below the Lions...As Red said" We all we got"...As Pete would say" Next man up"...I'd love to play the Lions, the thought excites me...

CANHawk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1qw2ndny said:
I understand the FO's thinking with the Tate situation. They just signed Harvin to a big deal and probably loved the receiver class, and with a RW contract coming up they wanted to save money where they could.

Depending on how Richarson and Norwood pan out, PnJ may still come out of that smelling like a rose. Those two are looking legit.

pehawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":2b4ubnlf said:
Trrrroy":2b4ubnlf said:

Depending on how Richarson and Norwood pan out, PnJ may still come out of that smelling like a rose. Those two are looking legit.

Totally agree. PRich is pure pimp.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
You mean it's not cause he had not indulged in illicit relations Russell WIlson's wife?

HansGruber

Reaction score
It was Golden Tate or Michael Bennett. That simple. Looking back at that, even with Tate playing well for the Lions, would any Seahawks fan take Tate over Bennett?

Remember, Bennett would be in a Bears jersey had we signed Tate. Right now, Bennett is really one of the few bright spots left on defense. He's stayed healthy and contributed to the team. I can't imagine what our defense would look like without him right now.

It's arguable whether Tate would be making any impact or not. PRich and Norwood look good, and we got both of them for less than Tate. They're contributing when asked, and both are looking far better than Tate did in his first few seasons. If Tate was on the team, they'd be seeing little time on the field and I don't see Tate bringing anything to the Seahawks that we're missing without him.

I loved Tate but totally see why they let him walk. yeah, I would far rather have had Tate than Harvin, and I said that last season when we signed Percy the Bum, but it is what it is.

Largent80

Reaction score
Lament. We have 2 Tate threads at the same time and he is long gone.

Everyone knew he was coming along nicely but it is what it is.

He went to an offense that is using him like he should be used and got paid.

Can we just move along now?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
CANHawk":3mo17cxi said:
Trrrroy":3mo17cxi said:

Point taken, but methinks PRich should have forced his way on to the field by now if PnJ are going to come out smelling like roses. PRich is a burner, but when we're throwing a sluggo/skinny/9 route it's still Kearse getting the call.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3f0isc02 said:
Trrrroy":3f0isc02 said:

If John and Pete had one do-over wish, I betcha it'd be not sign Percy and keep Tate for 6-7M a year.

I love Golden, always have. He's everything you want in a football player, tough, never complains and just makes plays.

I certainly understand why we didn't try to match Detroit's offer, as it was way higher than anyone else offered, including us. But doesn't mean I like it.
My thoughts exactly.

HawkWow

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2g8tuh9o said:
CANHawk":2g8tuh9o said:
Trrrroy":2g8tuh9o said:

Point taken, but methinks PRich should have forced his way on to the field by now if PnJ are going to come out smelling like roses. PRich is a burner, but when we're throwing a sluggo/skinny/9 route it's still Kearse getting the call.

Very hard to gauge the progress of Richardson when Russ is doing the sandlot thing. Mirroring his QB is not Richardson's game...but that is the game of Kevin Norwood. Unfortunately Norwood missed a huge chunk of time and it's a difficult enough position for a rook when healthy and in full participation.

Both are solid route runners with respectable hands and at the risk of beating a dead POS, with Harvin now removed, I'm sure both rooks are more comfortable, which should allow for better focus and progress. Once we can get Russ a bit more comfortable back there, I expect to see great things from both and it will be fun watching them grow together in the offense.

As far as Pete and John regretting the Harvin signing ... in terms of emotions, I'd list foolish and irresponsible ahead of "regret" if I were either of them. That goes double for John.

"Pete and Bevel wanted Harvin". So what? It's the GM's job to tell them guys to piss off when acting like a couple of cheerleaders gushing over the troubled kid that just butchered the other teams mascot.

Tate remains one of my favorite players and I wish him only the best.

sturg78

Reaction score
30 yards are fine as long as we're winning.... Damn man :'(

Tatters got Tate

Latest posts