5 win division winner?

ctrcat

Reaction score
When comparing upcoming schedules and scenarios, it appears very possible the Panthers can win the NFCS at 5-10-1.

pehawk

Reaction score
I love everything thing about this. I want it to continue.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They need to do 1 of 3 possibilities

1. Add another wildcard per conference
2. Add TWO wild cards per conference
3. Do what the CFL does and only allow the Top 12 regardless of conference as long as said representative is good enough to be 3rd place or better in the weaker conference(meaning yes it would be possible for ONE conference to have both berths in the Superbowl).

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
How's this one? 5 wins, hosting a Lions team that they've already beaten and who have done nothing in the playoffs. A win there and a trip to Glendale against an injury ravaged team with a backup QB. Win there and a Seahawks win in Green Bay then HOSTING the NFCCG against the Hawks while being 3 games under .500 overall.

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the current format, I love it. I love the fact all the divisional games are backloaded. I love that Tampa is still in there diviaion.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ctrcat":3c66n7wd said:
How's this one? 5 wins, hosting a Lions team that they've already beaten and who have done nothing in the playoffs. A win there and a trip to Glendale against an injury ravaged team with a backup QB. Win there and a Seahawks win in Green Bay then HOSTING the NFCCG against the Hawks while being 3 games under .500 overall.
Perfect! :th2thumbs:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":i16xaqb2 said:
They need to do 1 of 3 possibilities

1. Add another wildcard per conference
2. Add TWO wild cards per conference
3. Do what the CFL does and only allow the Top 12 regardless of conference as long as said representative is good enough to be 3rd place or better in the weaker conference(meaning yes it would be possible for ONE conference to have both berths in the Superbowl).

Why do they need to do anything? The playoffs have never not been awesome regardless of what the records of the teams coming in were.

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, I cannot get my nose turned up about this possibility. It was just a few years ago when a 10-6 Bucs and Giants had to stay at home while a 7-9 division winner got to beat the Superbowl Champs in a home game.

There most likely will be a couple of 10-6 teams (or 11 wins) that are going to sit this one out as well. Folks were dogging the NFC West as a joke right before Harbaugh showed up. The NFC East was stinking it up before Chip Kelly showed up in Philly. EDIT: I guess the Washington RGIII team in 2012 did okay before Kelly took over the Eagles.

The most important thing to the league, when they aren't fighting image problems is getting an 18-game season. You play the hand you are dealt and the elitist can go pound sand.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":1cnanbrk said:
Yeah, I cannot get my nose turned up about this possibility. It was just a few years ago when a 10-6 Bucs and Giants had to stay at home while a 7-9 division winner got to beat the Superbowl Champs in a home game.

There most likely will be a couple of 10-6 teams (or 11 wins) that are going to sit this one out as well. Folks were dogging the NFC West as a joke right before Harbaugh showed up. The NFC East was stinking it up before Chip Kelly showed up in Philly. EDIT: I guess the Washington RGIII team in 2012 did okay before Kelly took over the Eagles.

The most important thing to the league, when they aren't fighting image problems is getting an 18-game season. You play the hand you are dealt and the elitist can go pound sand.
The NFL lucked out that we not only were competitive but won that game otherwise we would have already had a 14 team playoff years ago. Thank God that should be a reality next year or in 2016 at worst.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
It would be really fun, but I don't see it happening. There's a bunch of divisional games left that should ensure one of them gets to six wins at least. Looking at the schedule, I think the Saints will take it 7-9.

ringless

Reaction score
http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/ ... -division/

This thread made me laugh... Here are some quotes I found funny on the possibility of being the #4 seed at 5-11

"This is really acceptable to you guys? I wish I could get excited about having the worst team in playoff history if it happens"

It would be historic for sure... just not the kind of history this team would want to be remembered by

Picture in your head, the banner hanging in the dome if that happens.

I would rather not think about any of this, Yall gluttons for punishment!

That banner would have to be in a different color just to denote the shame.

chris98251

Reaction score
You think the Cards would turn their nose uip at making the playoffs? at 5 - 11 or 7-9, once there anything can happen.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Obviously I want the Niners in the playoffs, but you have to admit there would be a certain symmetry to Seattle having to go and play the Saints in NO in the first round of the playoffs.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":24agr7ho said:
Obviously I want the Niners in the playoffs, but you have to admit there would be a certain symmetry to Seattle having to go and play the Saints in NO in the first round of the playoffs.
It'd be hilarious. I'm rooting for the Saints to win the division with a losing record just for the chance at it.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I desperately want the NFC South champion to be as bad as possible. I honestly don't even care about the implications for the #5 seed who goes and plays them (although that's gravy), I just think it's hilarious. Even moreso if it's the Saints. Even moreso moreso if we get to play the Saints on the road. (Much less so if we lose to them like the Saints did to us).

I've generally been a supporter of the idea that you could guarantee a playoff berth based on winning your division, but seeding should be by record, so maybe this would add some fuel to that fire. FWIW, I felt that way when it was us, too.

mikeak

Reaction score
For those that want reform you can do it less dramatically then best 12 teams etc

You could simply state that the team has to be a .500 or better team or spot is forfeited

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Just leave it the way it is. Winning your division should be a big deal.

A

Anonymous

Or, you could add a few teams tto the tournament, and take away the first round bye.

The 5-11 team plays @ the #1 seed right out of the gate.

byau

Reaction score
Basketball is the same, division winner gets the higher seed and HCA/HFA

It's just when something like this happens, it's apparent that things should change

To be honest, I kinda like how it is. Overall it adds intrigue. This year it's an outlier just because one division has all teams 3 games below .500, while another division I think all teams are 3 games above .500 right? Is it my imagination or has neither of those happened before? And they are BOTH happening this season?

I think it adds intrigue

I think the teams in the sub .500 division should feel a bit of shame.

And hopefully it will drive them to do something next year

Don't bail them out with a restructure of the seeding IMO :)

Hey, the Hawks overcame the 7-9 to eventually build themselves up.