Bucs release DE Michael Johnson

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Per Rapoport. He just signed a FA deal in Tampa last year.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575740075285307392[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Was he bad last year? I didn't follow him at all.

Since he's getting paid $7m anyway, maybe he would be open to a short term, cheap contract?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
This is the one I've been waiting for. Johnson battled through a nagging ankle injury last season, but he's one of the very few DE's in the league with the length/mass to play the 5-tech, and the speed/agility to play the Leo. An he can rush from the inside or outside. He's graded very highly against the run in the past, and has been a productive pass rusher as well (incl. over 11 sacks in 2012 alone). Signing him wouldn't count against the comp pick formula either. Would love to get him, though I'm expecting a return to Cincy for MJ.

Hawks46

Reaction score
More talent to dilute the FA pool and other teams' pocket books.

Me likey options.

kearly

Reaction score
The Bucs overpaid him, but it seems rash to pay him so much to go away.

I don't think he fits Seattle. Not really big enough to be a true 5-tech for Seattle, not fast enough to be a LEO. (And Seattle kind of abandoned the Bryant 5-tech concept last season anyway). Seattle didn't even try to get Johnson last year. And they've consistently avoided his "type" in the draft (e.g. Courtney Upshaw, Alex Okafor, Frank Alexander, etc).

I don't even think Johnson is all that great. He's okay. More of a power pass rusher than an edge rusher, and Seattle is all about speed. It felt like during his best year in Cincy, he was a beneficiary rather than a benefactor. Kind of like what Jordan Hill is for us. Always getting the sack, but rarely causing the sack.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kearly":15nc97g9 said:
It felt like during his best year in Cincy, he was a beneficiary rather than a benefactor. Kind of like what Jordan Hill is for us. Always getting the sack, but rarely causing the sack.
Even if that were true, that's precisely why he'd be an ideal fit in Seattle, surrounded by other great D-linemen and pass rushers. Plus he's an above-average run defender for the base D, with MORE than enough length/strength/mass to play the 5-tech here (his ideal position actually), despite your false assertion to the contrary.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Already rumored to be going back to Bengals (his old team) when rumors of his release were coming out, now that he is released, it won't be surprising.