Niners' drop-off could lead to eventual Kaepernick trade

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13031499/why-san-francisco-49ers-trade-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-2016-clayton-mailbag[/urltargetblank]

Which brings us to thoughts about the future of Colin Kaepernick, who makes $19 million per year and is 27 years old. Any team with a good defense -- which I expect the 49ers to have -- and a talented quarterback can sustain success on the field, and an 8-8 season is unlikely to force a QB change unless there are viable replacement alternatives. But the 49ers might still be tempted to trade Kaepernick to a quarterback-starved franchise for two or three high draft choices, if they found the right deal. They could then look to find a way to come away with a top quarterback prospect in the draft, while retooling other parts of the roster.

I didn't write the article, I'm just passing it along. (ie don't shoot the messenger)

ringless

Reaction score
Well to read another perspective. I have seen questions like this posed on the 49ers forums recently.

Try to name 3 QB's that are better than Kap ( I can personally name a lot more than 3, but judging by the question I knew once I got to two any others would be disregarded. It came off as a loaded question)

Kap is the most dangerous QB in the league given time

This will be the first year Kap has had weapons .....

Why would they trade someone with so much potential as stated above? Even 2-3 draft picks is unlikely to lead to that franchise QB

ringless

Reaction score
Also, one would have to wonder if there even will be a drop off. If you look at the predicted record this year for SF over 50%, yes over 50% think they will win a MINIMUM of 10 games this year.... :lol: delusion is still running strong over there

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Harbagh era is going to be looked on as a golden era in a few years.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The niners are going to go through another decade of new GM and new coaches every year or two with a bunch of top 10 picks thrown in. It wouldn't be as much fun to watch any other team go through what they are right now. :D

2_0_6

Reaction score
ringless":164vmbh8 said:

I think this will be the first year of him having less weapons at his fingertips.

An older Vernon Davis & Boldin
No Gore
O-Line in shambles
No Crabtree (not great but still a loss)

They added Torrey Smith..

Seems like they loss more than they gained

kearly

Reaction score
Without Kaep, the 49ers are major contenders for the #1 draft pick. Trading him makes no sense, unless they actually want to tank for a top pick at QB.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":1ix3ug90 said:
Without Kaep, the 49ers are major contenders for the #1 draft pick. Trading him makes no sense, unless they actually want to tank for a top pick at QB.
They could very well be contemplating pulling a Colts. I don't think they are, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

rlkats

Reaction score
kearly":xpooolvj said:

Hate to say it I agree. While Kap is not great. He is good. And at this present time the best we have. Losing him would be bad.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ringless":pxve9clz said:
Well to read another perspective. I have seen questions like this posed on the 49ers forums recently.

Try to name 3 QB's that are better than Kap ( I can personally name a lot more than 3, but judging by the question I knew once I got to two any others would be disregarded. It came off as a loaded question)

Kap is the most dangerous QB in the league given time

Why would they trade someone with so much potential as stated above? Even 2-3 draft picks is unlikely to lead to that franchise QB

lol no. Newton is better than Kap "if given time"

Not saying Kap is bad. Outside of playing the Seahawks he has actually been pretty good..I believe this is regular season stats

Against the Cards he has a 106 QB rating with 9TD/1INT
Against the Rams he has a 102 QB rating with 7TD/0INT

and then we get to Seattle ;)

53.7 QB rating with 2TD/7INT

I think 1/3 of his regular season career INTs are against us. No wonder we think hes so bad :lol:

Against the Packers he has 129 QB rating with 3TD/0INT

rideaducati

Reaction score
Baalke loves to make it all about him, so I could see him thinking he could do better with more picks...It seems to be working. :stirthepot:

ringless

Reaction score
I look at the state of the 49ers house and I can't help but think to myself. I wouldn't let a pig live in that filth.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":26ik16mx said:

Well, like Clayton said, with Kap and a good defense, they will be perpetually mediocre. It's hard to get a great franchise QB prospect in the middle of the 1st round. They'd have to trade up, and at that point, why not trade Kap, get a few picks, use your high 1st rounder on a elite QB prospect, and continue to fill all the newly acquired holes in the roster. You could also use that year to develop all the young guys on the defense and get them experience.

It's a risk, but I'd think it's not any worse than trotting out the team they have and trying to slowly rebuild it. Rip the bandaid off now, or slowly bleed to death over time. Plus, they just built a new stadium. There has to be pressure to win.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Am I crazy for thinking it's not even on their radar?

I think they go run heavy with a bunch of read option and play action to go deep. Sound like any team you know?

Something tells me that Jed will have "Soup Enthusiast" Tomsula trying to be Seattle this year and I think Kaepernick would be well served and successful if they go that route. He doesn't tend to turn the ball over against teams that aren't Seattle.

I don't think he's going anywhere. They have him signed to a team friendly deal that they can get out of if he gets hurt or falls on his face.

Eliminate all of the pre-snap BS and just run a simple offense that utilizes their strengths.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2gzssijx said:

I think they go run heavy with a bunch of read option and play action to go deep. Sound like any team you know?

Something tells me that Jed will have "Soup Enthusiast" Tomsula trying to be Seattle this year and I think Kaepernick would be well served and successful if they go that route. He doesn't tend to turn the ball over against teams that aren't Seattle.

I don't think he's going anywhere. They have him signed to a team friendly deal that they can get out of if he gets hurt or falls on his face.

Eliminate all of the pre-snap BS and just run a simple offense that utilizes their strengths.

You are not crazy.

In fact, what Seattle does now is what SF was doing in 2012 and is precisely what Jed meant when he said they got away from what they did well. Read Option/Play Action/Deep Passing is PRECISELY what they are going to get back to and is why the signed guys with speed like Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson.

They are also spending a lot of time on Zone-Blocking in OTAs and their O-Line coach is the same one that was in Washington with Shanahan. Not saying it'll be a slam dunk, but using those schemes is certainly the idea. Its also why they weren't all that concerned with letting Iupati walk away. They are moving away from the "maul the guy across from you" power running game to more of a ZBS that requires more athleticism from the O-Line. That scheme would seem to really fit the talents of Carlos Hyde.

Its also why they could struggle badly early as the line learns the new blocking schemes.

As for Kap going anywhere, you are exactly right. The article is all speculation. Also worth noting that tempo and getting to the line faster were huge points off emphasis in the OTAs.

No idea if this is going to work, but I think you are dead on in terms of what they are attempting to do.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawks46":3pbk8kpu said:
Well, like Clayton said, with Kap and a good defense, they will be perpetually mediocre.

Uhh, that's like, really not what Clayton said at all. :lol:

Laloosh":3pbk8kpu said:

Definitely not crazy. The argument for why they'd trade him doesn't make a lick of sense, nor does the unmentioned fact that next year they'd be taking on an 8 million dollar cap penalty for trading him.

The only scenario in which I could even remotely see them trading him is if they go 2-14 next year and prefer the QB they could take at #1 over what they could get for he pick in trade (net what they could get for Kaepernick in trade).

Save for that though, waahhh? His argument is bizarre. A team with, according to him, a good defense and good QB is going to trade their good QB for which purposes exactly? Because it's easier to find a good QB than good players at other ofensive positions? :lol: Just strange.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ecw49un said:
Hawks46":1ecw49un said:
Well, like Clayton said, with Kap and a good defense, they will be perpetually mediocre.

Uhh, that's like, really not what Clayton said at all. :lol:

Laloosh":1ecw49un said:

Definitely not crazy. The argument for why they'd trade him doesn't make a lick of sense, nor does the unmentioned fact that next year they'd be taking on an 8 million dollar cap penalty for trading him.

The only scenario in which I could even remotely see them trading him is if they go 2-14 next year and prefer the QB they could take at #1 over what they could get for he pick in trade (net what they could get for Kaepernick in trade).

Save for that though, waahhh? His argument is bizarre. A team with, according to him, a good defense and good QB is going to trade their good QB for which purposes exactly? Because it's easier to find a good QB than good players at other ofensive positions? :lol: Just strange.

Clayton is just fishing for something to write in the offseason here.

Is it impossible the team traded Kap? Of course not...I really doubt it though. I mean, one of the points of the article is that they might be willing to give him up for several high draft picks. Is there a team that would be willing to do that? Dunno.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":13ynlxb4 said:
I mean, one of the points of the article is that they might be willing to give him up for several high draft picks. Is there a team that would be willing to do that? Dunno.

Even if there was, it's still not much of a point. He calls Kaepernick a good quarterback and seems to believe that other teams think so as well (as they'd be giving up several high draft pick for him).

Well, okay. So where exactly are these teams that have been trading their good starting quarterbacks for draft picks? There aren't any, because it doesn't make any sense.

The only possible way you could even spin it is by arguing that the 9ers think Gabbert is a better QB than their good starting QB, but he doesn't mention that, because, well, it would be a pretty ridiculous argument to make. :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":4t4i2ntl said:
Marvin49":4t4i2ntl said:
I mean, one of the points of the article is that they might be willing to give him up for several high draft picks. Is there a team that would be willing to do that? Dunno.

Even if there was, it's still not much of a point. He calls Kaepernick a good quarterback and seems to believe that other teams think so as well (as they'd be giving up several high draft pick for him).

Well, okay. So where exactly are these teams that have been trading their good starting quarterbacks for draft picks? There aren't any, because it doesn't make any sense.

The only possible way you could even spin it is by arguing that the 9ers think Gabbert is a better QB than their good starting QB, but he doesn't mention that, because, well, it would be a pretty ridiculous argument to make. :lol:

I hear ya...

...just trying to make sense of it.